MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psychology 1X03 E-Book logans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 03:46 PM
Psychology 1X03? cddbc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 11-23-2009 09:59 PM
Psychology 1X03 MrSmith Academics 15 06-14-2009 10:39 PM

psychology 1X03?

Old 06-09-2009 at 04:37 PM   #1
minikit99

Liked: 0 Times

psychology 1X03?
Can anyone tell me why you pretty much need grade twelve bio to take this course? i know its not mandatory, but it's strongly recommended.
Old 06-09-2009 at 07:42 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Really? I thought it was mandatory... Actually, now that I think about it, I think you need it for Psych 1XX3, since you can take Biology 1P03 (Equivalent to Grade 12) concurrent with 1X03.

Buddy, I don't know why we need Biology. Everyone I've talked to, including TAs and Instructional Assistants agree that you don't need it but maybe it gives you an edge to the course in terms of understanding some concepts.

I wanted to go into Linguistic Cognitive Science this year, and I went through all the stops to get into it with just Linguistics, but they made the decision that you need Psych and in turn need Biology. So I gotta shadow it. So, if you really want to take Psych, take the Intro Bio course in first term.
Old 06-09-2009 at 07:59 PM   #3
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

I could justify the biology prereq for 1XX3, but not 1X03. 1XX3 covered alot of neuroscience, and I guess it would give you a bit of an edge if you already knew how neurons worked and had some exposure of the nervous system. Same thing goes with evolution, you learn a bit of Darwin in high school biology, so naturally, it relates. 1X03 mostly covered Social, Cognitive, and Learning though, so I don't see why you would need biology for that. If it's not mandatory, I wouldn't take Bio for 1X03.

Last edited by davey : 06-09-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2009 at 08:19 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

maybe it's recommended to take gr 12 bio with 1X03 in case you are taking 1XX3 in term 2.. i don't think i remember bio in 1x03