MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Elizabeth II Angoose Financial Aid 44 08-31-2010 04:34 PM
Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Renewal. xo.monica Academics 6 12-11-2009 10:31 PM
Queen Elizabeth II scholarship jangh2 Academics 38 08-16-2009 11:00 PM
Queen Elizabeth Scholarship goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 76 07-02-2009 01:32 AM
Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Renewal hamilton1555 Financial Aid 5 06-26-2009 12:55 AM

Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Concern, please help

Old 08-17-2010 at 12:10 AM   #1
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Concern, please help
Hi,

I logged into OSAP and got the following message:
"You were considered for, but were not among the successfull candidates for a Queen Elizabeth II Aiming for the Top Scholarship at your high school."

I seriously don't get it, I had a 92 average, which even if not for the entire amount, is much above what I remember reading you need for their minimum scholarship. I also met all deadlines.

Anyone have a similar problem in the past and/or know why I got rejected?
Also, I know there is an appeals process, and if anyone of you has gone through that before and can fill me in on how it works that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2010 at 12:12 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
Hi,

"You were considered for, but were not among the successfull candidates for a Queen Elizabeth II Aiming for the Top Scholarship at your high school."

I seriously don't get it, I had a 92 average, which even if not for the entire amount, is much above what I remember reading you need for their minimum scholarship. I also met all deadlines.

Also, I know there is an appeals process, and if anyone of you has gone through that before and can fill me in on how it works that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
You should contact SFAS and ask them what you can do. I don't understand how you can be denied the scholarship, even the minimum amount.
Old 08-17-2010 at 12:32 AM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

It depends on how competitive things are. If there were many students with a more competitive average, you might be denied. Not everybody who meets the requirement is given the scholarship, unfortunately. I was in a similar spot

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-17-2010 at 12:40 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
It depends on how competitive things are. If there were many students with a more competitive average, you might be denied. Not everybody who meets the requirement is given the scholarship, unfortunately. I was in a similar spot
You're right, I went back and re-read the details of the scholarship and it's not guaranteed. They use the word "may" a lot.
Old 08-17-2010 at 01:41 AM   #5
Firdoum

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
Hi,

Thanks
My grade 12 average is almost 4 % higher than yours , and i had the exact same message on the website. I was bumbed out too .... I was expecting at least SOMETHING out of QE ..

QE is based on both academic performance and the student's financial status. So all the students in your school are ranked academically and then evaluated financially.
For example: lets say there are 4 students A , B , C and D and academically they can be arranged as A>B>C>D.

If A , B and C are financially sound , whereas D is in need , then D gets awarded.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Firdoum : 08-17-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2010 at 08:46 AM   #6
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Did anyone actually contact the SFAS?
I'm having the same problem
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:05 AM   #7
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I had a 90% average, and received the same message. Haven't given them a call yet, though.
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:25 AM   #8
fusshia

I agree that calling them is probably the best way to find out why.
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:32 AM   #9
swordmas

I called them about mine, and apparently, I didn't 'click' the thing to be considered, even thought it makes no sense for there even to be an option...
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:56 AM   #10
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordmas View Post
I called them about mine, and apparently, I didn't 'click' the thing to be considered, even thought it makes no sense for there even to be an option...
All it said to do was fill out the osap and click that you wanted to be considered for QEII scholarship
I did that then why is it saying that I will get $0
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:57 AM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
All it said to do was fill out the osap and click that you wanted to be considered for QEII scholarship
I did that then why is it saying that I will get $0
Being considered doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get it.
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:59 AM   #12
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Being considered doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get it.
I should at least get the minimum of $100
Old 08-17-2010 at 11:09 AM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
I should at least get the minimum of $100
No, you "may" get the minimum. https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en...ONT004296.html
Old 08-17-2010 at 05:58 PM   #14
MeganB214

Liked: 1 Time

So if it is listed as $0 right now, is that the final decision that no money will be recieved?
Old 08-17-2010 at 06:07 PM   #15
Doodly

Liked: 1 Time

atleast u guys can check, i forgot my PW and failed at my questions too many times i got permabanned xD, gotta get a temp pw from mac :( but i gave up on that =)