MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Third year Biology or Biochem Courses kwyhan Academics 3 09-06-2011 03:36 PM
2nd year Biochem admission marido Academics 3 02-14-2011 06:47 PM
Biochem Question ginaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 02-02-2011 07:29 PM
Third year Biochem licheom Introduce Yourself 2 09-10-2010 12:06 PM

Question about 2nd year biochem

Old 01-01-2012 at 11:15 PM   #1
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Question about 2nd year biochem
Hi, I have a quick question about honours biochem for 2nd year. If you aren't to keen on doing research, is it worth it to go for biochem? Or would another 2nd year program suffice. I'm asking this since I have interest in biochem, as well as physiology, but not really looking forward towards the research/article aspect of the program. Maybe it's too early to worry about this stuff but this thought has been with me for a while now.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2012 at 12:01 AM   #2
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

It's definitely still a strong program even if you aren't interested in research. I find that it's a very well-rounded program that gives students a strong molecular biology and chemistry (analytical, physical, organic) foundation.

In your case, I'd recommend going into the Core (non-specialization) stream since the research-component is less heavy.

Old 01-02-2012 at 12:27 AM   #3
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

you could also just do honours biology and take most of the physiology courses and biochem courses that you want. it has plenty of elective space too, and so it'd be easy to get a minor in biochem anyways. personally, i think it's better to be able to pick and choose the bio/biochem courses you want to take instead of being forced to based on the course requirements. the biochem 2L06 course is all about research and is required for biochem, which you may or may not like. personally, i am not sure whether i will pursue research later on, but 2L06 is my favourite course this year! so basically in your case think about doing unspecialized biochemistry or biology and take the courses you want.