MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
admission requirements for grad schools strawbrryjam First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-12-2010 09:20 AM
Grad Card and Grad Response Form Available nh999 MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-02-2010 08:57 AM
Class Averages mac-gal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 01-08-2010 08:51 PM
averages maryam17 Academics 4 12-23-2009 12:37 AM
Second year science- Cutoff Averages macsci General Discussion 1 04-04-2009 10:32 PM

Question about grad schools/averages

Old 12-30-2009 at 10:58 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Question about grad schools/averages
When a grad school looks at my transcript and sees my average, do they see the letter grade or the number? For example, my B+ average could be a 9.9, as opposed to a 9.1

I figure it depends on each school, but since every grad school requirement has the average listed as a letter grade, I'm wondering if they see the numbers as well.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009 at 11:16 PM   #2
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
When a grad school looks at my transcript and sees my average, do they see the letter grade or the number? For example, my B+ average could be a 9.9, as opposed to a 9.1

I figure it depends on each school, but since every grad school requirement has the average listed as a letter grade, I'm wondering if they see the numbers as well.

Thanks!
The only one I've looked at so far (McGill) uses CGPA, not letters.
Old 12-30-2009 at 11:24 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I'm pretty sure they also convert it to the 4.0 system...
Old 12-30-2009 at 11:26 PM   #4
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Yeah, no one uses only letters. This is due in large part to the different grading systems across universities in Canada.
Old 12-31-2009 at 10:42 AM   #5
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

Most schools will tend to average your marks like this:

Take each individual mark and convert it to the GPA point. For example, if you got a B in a course you got a '3.0', a B+ --> 3.3 and so on. You can find this list here --> http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart

What you do then is take each of your courses and average their GPA's to get your overall GPA. This is what most schools tend to do to normalize averages, and you can see that based on the chart in the link above. Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2009 at 11:24 AM   #6
Alireza

Liked: 0 Times

Do they look at your GPA for the 4 years of undergrad? or do they look at the last 2 years?
Old 12-31-2009 at 11:46 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Depends on the program.

They see your whole transcript though, so even if its only the last 60ish units if you had an abysmal first year they will still know.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-31-2009 at 12:17 PM   #8
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times

^^ Does that make a big impact on their decision? I had a pretty good first year but a horrible second year, especially first semester of my second year due to the Brandon Fire - the grad schools i want to apply to only look at the last 60 units, so I'm not too worried about that - but if they look back at the first semester of my second year, will it greatly influence their decision even if my 3rd/4th year marks are high enough?
Old 12-31-2009 at 12:19 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockalot View Post
^^ Does that make a big impact on their decision? I had a pretty good first year but a horrible second year, especially first semester of my second year due to the Brandon Fire - the grad schools i want to apply to only look at the last 60 units, so I'm not too worried about that - but if they look back at the first semester of my second year, will it greatly influence their decision even if my 3rd/4th year marks are high enough?
I dunno. I'm not a selection board. It may influence their decision if they are picking between two similar applicants, but I really don't know.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-31-2009 at 12:46 PM   #10
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockalot View Post
If they say they only look at the last 60 credits then take them at face value (although you should find out if it means the last 60 credits before you applied. I don't know the grad school application cycle, but if you're applying during your fourth year, you might not have your 2nd term marks, and they might then be counting your 2nd semester, 2nd year marks. Be sure to ask them). However, you obviously have a decent explanation of your poor grades that term, and if it does come up (or you have a chance to explain yourself), you probably will have no problem explaining the situation to them.

shockalot says thanks to arathbon for this post.
Old 12-31-2009 at 03:07 PM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
If they say they only look at the last 60 credits then take them at face value (although you should find out if it means the last 60 credits before you applied. I don't know the grad school application cycle, but if you're applying during your fourth year, you might not have your 2nd term marks, and they might then be counting your 2nd semester, 2nd year marks. Be sure to ask them). However, you obviously have a decent explanation of your poor grades that term, and if it does come up (or you have a chance to explain yourself), you probably will have no problem explaining the situation to them.
That was another thing I was wondering. Will they be looking at my term 2 marks for my final year? The applications are due in January and February, so when do they start accepting people? Will they wait until April when they can have term 2 marks?

I'm asking because I'm taking 4 courses in term one and 6 courses term two. With full year courses, it turns out that I only received two final marks this term.
Old 12-31-2009 at 03:20 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Unfortunately Mac's transcript release dates are a pain in the ass. Term I transcripts don't start to be processed until January 12th, which is after or around the same time as a lot of schools' due dates. So you may need to send in your transcript of previous years and then send in your transcripts for Term I to follow. (For example all the schools I'm applying to are due Jan 7th or 15th, so none of my Term I transcripts will reach the schools before the deadline).

For sure, they look at your Term I grades. Term II really depends on their decision.

Decisions are usually sent out in late February to late March. So if you're wait-listed or accepted your Term II grades will be looked at as well.

Old 12-31-2009 at 03:37 PM   #13
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

Yup. That one course you did not so great on will follow you everywhere you apply to, it's like a bad hangover that just wont let go
Old 12-31-2009 at 03:43 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup.

I should also note that there have been many more people applying to grad school in the last 5 years, and the programs haven't made more space to fit the numbers. So if you meet the minimum, there is still a pretty good chance you won't get in.

Old 12-31-2009 at 05:02 PM   #15
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If only grad school made excuses for everybody