MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linguistics 1A03 shleyaa 1st Year Course Reviews 49 12-23-2016 10:07 PM
woman studies 1a03 kim27 Academics 3 06-28-2012 04:57 PM
Anybody dropping Linguistics (1A03), MMedia (1A03, 1B03), or HLTH AGE (1AA3, 1BB3)? MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-15-2010 06:48 PM
linguistics 1a03 Chevalier Academics 3 07-10-2010 11:48 AM

Question... Linguistics 1A03 , HlthAge 1BB3 , Envr Sci 1A03 or Woman ST 1A03?

Old 06-27-2012 at 02:38 PM   #1
sumxo

Liked: 0 Times

Question... Linguistics 1A03 , HlthAge 1BB3 , Envr Sci 1A03 or Woman ST 1A03?
Which electives should i take?

i have however taken 1bb3 and env sc 1a03.
However, i am leaning towards linguistics since it seems alot easier, any ideas?
Old 06-27-2012 at 02:59 PM   #2
Pixel

Linguistics is supposed to be pretty tough but in the easy electives thread many people said Health and Aging was really easy.
Old 06-27-2012 at 03:09 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I don't quite get it. Do you already have electives decided or are you still deciding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Linguistics is supposed to be pretty tough but in the easy electives thread many people said Health and Aging was really easy.
I've heard the opposite. Plenty of people said Linguistics was easy. Follow your interests, because these courses aren't particularly difficult in general, but the difference in your grade will depend on your interest and how much work you put in of course .

I took Hth Age 1BB3 and I loved it if you have any interest in aging! For more about the course, check out my review:http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...tr=H& t=37027
Old 06-27-2012 at 05:06 PM   #4
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

I've taken both Linguistics 1A03 and Hlth Age 1BB3.

Linguistics wasn't the easiest course, but I really only found the section on learning transcription somewhat challenging, which was mainly based on memorization of the symbols for sounds and recognizing sounds. It was definitely doable though, you just need to practice a lot. I was interested in the course before taking it and overall I liked it.

Hlth Age 1BB3 was probably one of the easiest courses I've taken at Mac so far (I'm going into third year). Some find it boring, but I had some interest in the topics going into it so I didn't find it that way and Professor Joshi is an awesome prof.

sumxo says thanks to dreamer21 for this post.
Old 06-27-2012 at 06:37 PM   #5
alyssarr

Liked: 51 Times

I found Linguistics difficult, mainly because of the memorization and you have to keep practicing, things just build onto other things. The course was kinda interesting and prof Moro was awesome!

1BB3 was really easy, I very much enjoyed this course. The topics do tend to get boring at times but on the other hand some of it is common knowledge.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

sumxo says thanks to alyssarr for this post.
Old 06-27-2012 at 06:39 PM   #6
alyssarr

Liked: 51 Times

OH and in 1BB3 we got a chance to do group discussions with seniors in the community, and that was so much fun. I'll never forget that!
Old 06-27-2012 at 07:03 PM   #7
sumxo

thanks everyone!

guess i'll stick with 1bb3.
Hows enviro sci 1ao3?
Old 06-27-2012 at 07:27 PM   #8
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

I didn't realize you had Women St 1A03 in the title too. I took that, it wasn't what I expected and I didn't like it at all. It's very much based around feminism, it's development, and the texts are focused on it. It's also a lot like a literature class in that you analyze/discuss the readings a lot. Not my cup of tea. It seemed the only people that enjoyed the course were ones that were really into feminism and it's topics. The workload wasn't too bad though, there were weekly quizzes in tutorial on the readings, a midterm, paper, and final exam.
Old 06-27-2012 at 08:07 PM   #9
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

Enviro sci is easy because the workload is super light. There are no midterms - only a few very easy quizzes and manageable tutorial assignments. The tutorials require some writing but no essays or anything time-consuming... just a few lines. It's basically a course about weather. Unless that sort of stuff is really up your alley, it can be dry at times but the exam is ridiculously straightforward. Prof Bernier gives a lot of tips for it too!

sumxo says thanks to 5.98e24 for this post.
Old 06-27-2012 at 09:56 PM   #10
sumxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.98e24 View Post
Enviro sci is easy because the workload is super light. There are no midterms - only a few very easy quizzes and manageable tutorial assignments. The tutorials require some writing but no essays or anything time-consuming... just a few lines. It's basically a course about weather. Unless that sort of stuff is really up your alley, it can be dry at times but the exam is ridiculously straightforward. Prof Bernier gives a lot of tips for it too!
Thank you!
Im not too much of an enviro person, however i think this will do for now