MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
important question regarding not high enough marks kuruczpa Academics 21 09-13-2010 02:56 PM
Our marks are up!!!! nessa18 Academics 117 06-08-2010 01:11 PM
Marks Are Up! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-30-2010 09:49 AM
If you want your marks! kanishka Academics 30 05-29-2010 12:43 PM
When should marks be up by? Mac12 Academics 8 01-01-2010 03:44 PM

question about marks.

Old 12-22-2009 at 10:29 PM   #16
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
i am debating if I should tell my parents my marks...Any feedback/advice? Do you all tell your parents your marks?
well, my parents aren't paying for it, but since my mom is always totally up in my grilll, I'll have to tell her eventually.

haha, she asked like a week ago when marks are gonna be up.
I told her January, cuz I didn't know. O_O

Old 12-22-2009 at 10:30 PM   #17
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Same as Kevin. I'm telling them. Think of it this way, if you're doing well, you'll get praise and motivation to keep going. If you're not doing too well, you'll get encouragement to keep trying and improving. That's how I see it anyway.
Lmfao, you get encouragement?

Ha!
Maybe you do. >.<
I get bitched at, get called lazy and stupid.

Old 12-22-2009 at 10:31 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Yeah that's also a factor, I'm sure all parents know that you receive grades so eventually won't they be asking you regardless of whether or not you choose to freely share the information.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:32 PM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I don't think that's what it means. I think Summer term is a session all by itself so whatever mark you get in Summer school would be its own sessional average.

In considering whether you should be allowed to take 6 courses per term next year though I would imagine they would look at your sessional average for 2nd year, not the Summer term. It would only make sense that they would consider the average you got taking a full course load and not just base the decision on one course.
I'm plaaning on taking the max amount of courses u can in summer school... why shouldn't that be added to my 2nd year average. o_O i

i think im still misunderstanding. >_<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-22-2009 at 10:33 PM   #20
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

I would talk to an academic adviser...it's a good question.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:36 PM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I'm plaaning on taking the max amount of courses u can in summer school... why shouldn't that be added to my 2nd year average. o_O i

i think im still misunderstanding. >_<
I'm not saying it shouldn't be for the record, someone just said it won't be. I guess they consider Summer term to be its own session and don't add all the marks together for 2nd year.

Even if you take the max amount of courses in Summer school I doubt McMaster would consider your average in those courses (what is the max allowable, 2 or 4?) to be your 2nd year average as opposed to your average from the full 2 terms of 2nd year during the school year.

That said I don't actually know for sure.

You probably could contact someone to discuss your situation specifically if you want to be allowed to take 6 and 6 courses in 3rd year. You could talk to them about your marks and work load and how you did in Summer school probably and ask for permission to take 6 courses per term.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:39 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Even if you take the max amount of courses in Summer school I doubt McMaster would consider your average in those courses (what is the max allowable, 2 or 4?) to be your 2nd year average as opposed to your average from the full 2 terms of 2nd year during the school year.
The Max is 4, 2 per summer term. Yeah, there are 2 terms in summer too.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:42 PM   #23
sew12
Elite Member

Does anyone know for sure what they use to determine if you are allowed to overload and take 6 courses per term?

Obviously you need a 7.0 average but in what, is it both terms of the previous academic year? The last term of your previous academic year (Term 2), I feel like I read it was this sometime but I don't recall. Or will they consider your Summer terms?

I would guess that they based it on your last full year (term 1 and 2) but I don't know for sure. They should take Summer marks into consideration but it doesn't sound like they will.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:46 PM   #24
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

dont you need a letter of permission as well to overload?

Old 12-22-2009 at 10:46 PM   #25
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
dont you need a letter of permission as well to overload?
Not in Commerce. You just need a 7.0 GPA.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:51 PM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

found it:

" OVERLOAD
  • Fall/Winter Session: Normally students may not register in more than 30 units during the Fall/Winter Session (33 units for students in Music I). A student with outstanding deferred examinations or incomplete term-work will not be permitted to overload in the following term. Students may take an overload up to six units under the following circumstances:
  1. if a student has a Sessional Average of at least 7.0 in the immediately preceding review period; or
  2. if the student is registered in the final Level of his/her program."
so...
wtf is sessional?

Old 12-22-2009 at 10:51 PM   #27
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I'm pretty sure Sessional means September to April. ._.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:54 PM   #28
sew12
Elite Member

Sessional average is both terms, September to April.

However that still doesn't answer questions about the Summer terms. Do these count as a separate sessional average and would this count as the sessional average immediately preceding the review period?

It makes little sense that Summer term marks wouldn't factor in at all or even be considered.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:57 PM   #29
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
It makes little sense that Summer term marks wouldn't factor in at all or even be considered.
Yes, that's my thought process exactly.

Why it wouldn't be considered at all is beyond me.
Otherwise you should just do a pass/fail type system.

Old 12-22-2009 at 10:59 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Yes, that's my thought process exactly.

Why it wouldn't be considered at all is beyond me.
Otherwise you should just do a pass/fail type system.
If you call you could probably get an answer... although I have no idea who you would call, maybe the registrar?