MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
important question regarding not high enough marks kuruczpa Academics 21 09-13-2010 02:56 PM
Our marks are up!!!! nessa18 Academics 117 06-08-2010 01:11 PM
Marks Are Up! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-30-2010 09:49 AM
If you want your marks! kanishka Academics 30 05-29-2010 12:43 PM
When should marks be up by? Mac12 Academics 8 01-01-2010 03:44 PM

question about marks.

Old 12-22-2009 at 11:00 PM   #31
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

If your sessional average for Term 1 and 2 this year isn't a 7.0 in the end and you do well in Summer school I think it would be beneficial to meet with someone and discuss your situation. I'm sure other than the you must have a 7.0 they are willing to talk to students and discuss options.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:04 PM   #32
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
i am debating if I should tell my parents my marks...Any feedback/advice? Do you all tell your parents your marks?
In all my years at university (I'm in fourth year), my parents have NEVER asked me about my marks. I guess they figure if I'm still going to school everyday, I must be doing fine. I could have dropped out years ago and they wouldn't even know. It's not that I keep it from them or I do poorly. They just never asked.

If you regularly tell them, then you probably should continue doing so.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:07 PM   #33
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
If your sessional average for Term 1 and 2 this year isn't a 7.0 in the end and you do well in Summer school I think it would be beneficial to meet with someone and discuss your situation. I'm sure other than the you must have a 7.0 they are willing to talk to students and discuss options.

I would hope they would do it on an individual basis (ie: if they see a significant improvement, they would let you do it or whatever, and put you on a probation type thing), but I'd much rather stay pessimistic and not get my hopes up.

Dyou recommend the registrar?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 12-22-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:10 PM   #34
sew12
Elite Member

I don't really know who you'd contact, I doubt it would be the registrar.

I would probably be your faculty, it is probably someone within your faculty (the Dean perhaps) that has to give permission for you to overload in your program. The registrar would just have be be given the permission to allow you to overload on SOLAR. I'm guessing the registrar isn't the office in charge of making decisions on overloading, it would be someone within your faculty/program I would guess.

lawleypop says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:10 PM   #35
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

They're slowly going up now =)

My origins mark was out !

Old 12-22-2009 at 11:16 PM   #36
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

If I have a 10 GPA (I'm in Commerce), can I overload next year?

Old 12-22-2009 at 11:23 PM   #37
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
If you maintain at least a 7.0 sessional average after next term you should be able to overload next year. Since its based on your sessional average of the previous year you have to wait until your Term 2 grades are in to know if you'd be allowed to overload. If you have a 10 now though and get roughly the same next term than yes according to the rules posted for overloading in Commerce you would be able to overload.

Jake says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:35 PM   #38
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

This is what it means by review peiod

"Academic standing is reviewed in May and August each year for students who

have attempted at least 18 units of work since the last review;
or

may be eligible to graduate at the next Convocation;
or

were admitted under the part-time mature student provision and have attempted the first 12 units of work."

So you'd need to over load in the summer (which is possible, you can overload and do 18 units) for you to have a review period in august, which would make the summer your sessional average for your most recent review period. I think that's how it works.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:45 PM   #39
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
This is what it means by review peiod

"Academic standing is reviewed in May and August each year for students who

have attempted at least 18 units of work since the last review;
or

may be eligible to graduate at the next Convocation;
or

were admitted under the part-time mature student provision and have attempted the first 12 units of work."

So you'd need to over load in the summer (which is possible, you can overload and do 18 units) for you to have a review period in august, which would make the summer your sessional average for your most recent review period. I think that's how it works.
Sounds correct. She'd have to take 18 units in the Summer for her average in those courses to count as her sessional average in regards to overloading. If she only takes 4 courses worth 12 units than her Term 1 and 2 average would still count as her sessional and since she has stated she is unable to get a 7.0 with this sessional she would not be allowed to overload.

That said this still doesn't account for possible special circumstances. She could speak to someone and perhaps specifically request that her Summer term be reviewed or taken into consideration, the above makes it seem like it is only automatically reviewed in those situations so its possible they make take her Summer marks into consideration if she discusses her situation.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:48 PM   #40
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Sounds correct. She'd have to take 18 units in the Summer for her average in those courses to count as her sessional average in regards to overloading. If she only takes 4 courses worth 12 units than her Term 1 and 2 average would still count as her sessional and since she has stated she is unable to get a 7.0 with this sessional she would not be allowed to overload.

That said this still doesn't account for possible special circumstances. She could speak to someone and perhaps specifically request that her Summer term be reviewed or taken into consideration, the above makes it seem like it is only automatically reviewed in those situations so its possible they make take her Summer marks into consideration if she discusses her situation.
When I said the unable to get the 7.0, I was calculating my first marks with it.
I'm fine if it's just 2nd year.
>_< rofl.
so like.
this entire thread is useless.

Old 12-22-2009 at 11:51 PM   #41
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
When I said the unable to get the 7.0, I was calculating my first marks with it.
I'm fine if it's just 2nd year.
>_< rofl.
so like.
this entire thread is useless.
I thought you said even if you got all 12s in Term 2 in 5 courses your sessional average wouldn't be a 7.0?

ETA: Nvm, now I understand. Yeah it will just be your 2nd year marks, Term 1 and Term 2.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:52 PM   #42
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
I thought you said even if you got all 12s in Term 2 in 5 courses your sessional average wouldn't be a 7.0?
No, I fail, I didn't know what sessional avg meant. XD I was calculating my cgpa when I said that.

Old 12-22-2009 at 11:54 PM   #43
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Don't overload in year 2 commerce; Friendly advice

Jake says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:55 PM   #44
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
No, I fail, I didn't know what sessional avg meant. XD I was calculating my cgpa when I said that.
Yay for a useless 2 page confusing thread.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:57 PM   #45
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

h8er b jeluz ^

xD