MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woodstock Airbands Music Question PTGregD General Discussion 10 09-09-2010 07:54 PM
Music Course Question! S2Squared Academics 1 01-02-2009 10:25 PM
First year business elective question! sokolon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-02-2008 06:35 PM

Question about music elective.

Old 05-01-2011 at 06:44 PM   #1
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Question about music elective.
I'm most likely going to Mac for physics next year (99% sure - still waiting to hear from a couple more programs) and I wanted to take the Music Ensemble Performance class as an elective (flute ensemble or concert band). However, I heard that you have to sign up for another course at first, then transfer into it if you have a successful audition in the fall. Is this true? What would the audition consist of?
Old 05-01-2011 at 06:49 PM   #2
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

I don't know if you have to sign up for another course prior to your audition, but I think that is a good idea since it's like a safety net. But having said that, don't stress out about the audition as it is very informal.

If I remember correctly, you should have both a slow and a fast piece prepared, or two pieces that contrast.

Bug324 says thanks to R.L. for this post.
Old 05-01-2011 at 06:53 PM   #3
Bug324

Thanks! Is there any technical portion to the audition (scales, arpeggios) or just the pieces?
Old 05-01-2011 at 07:20 PM   #4
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

I don't know if you visited this website, http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/.../ensemble.html, but what you heard about registering in another course during the summer is correct for non-music majors.

Nope, there wasn't a technical portion but I don't know if it has changed (most likely not). The audition is around 10 minutes long or max. 15 minutes and Dr. Kinder, who is the music director, is very nice and not intimidating.
Old 05-01-2011 at 07:29 PM   #5
Bug324

Oh, that's too bad, it says I can't audition for the flute ensemble. Thank you for the link, though, it was very helpful.
Old 05-01-2011 at 08:34 PM   #6
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

im fairly certain you can audition for flute ensemble without being a music major as i lived with someone that did that (at least i think she was in flute ensemble) and the audition is pretty slack, he just asks you to play your songs(i didnt even finish mine) and asks you about your music background, its closer to an interview than an audition lol (this is from orchestra btw im not sure who is the diirector/conductor of the flute ensemble is).
Old 05-01-2011 at 11:23 PM   #7
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

How many of the ensembles are you allowed to be in? I play tuba and sing in four ensembles in my school now and would like to stay really involved in music on the side.
Old 05-02-2011 at 12:10 AM   #8
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

I believe youre allowed to join as many as you want but can only claim 3 credits...also just because you were good in high school doesn't mean youll find music here easy(or even doable) its pretty intense by high school standards. If you were in any kind of high level ensembles outside of school you should be good tho, just be prepared to have a large amount of music to learn in a short amount of time

MirandaC says thanks to irule333 for this post.
Old 05-02-2011 at 06:15 AM   #9
Bug324

Do we need our audition pieces accompanied?
Old 05-02-2011 at 10:53 AM   #10
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug324 View Post
Do we need our audition pieces accompanied?

nope..

and to the poster above, i didn't find it harder than high school since the people around you actually knew what they were doing and could help you if you get lost once in a while (this is for concert band, at least). i found it was pretty chill and the fact that the evaluations were done in groups makes me think that everybody gets a decent mark... that's my experience, for what it's worth. if you can read music you'll be fine. I guess if you're going for flute/clarinet then you got to learn lots of runs etc. so have fun with that.
Old 05-09-2011 at 08:49 PM   #11
nguyeneng

Liked: 0 Times

Hi,

For the audition, how difficult should the audition pieces be?
Also, are the ensembles (particularly the jazz and concert bands) usually full? How competitive are they to get into?

I play the trumpet, if that helps any.
Old 05-09-2011 at 08:58 PM   #12
Bug324

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyeneng View Post
Hi,

For the audition, how difficult should the audition pieces be?
Also, are the ensembles (particularly the jazz and concert bands) usually full? How competitive are they to get into?

I play the trumpet, if that helps any.
I think one of the requirements for admission to the program is grade 8 RCM, so I'd go with at least that for the audition. Other than that, I can't really help; I'm in the same boat. Does anyone know what the chances are for flute/picc? At my high school, the senior band has about 16 flutes - I'm pretty nervous about the flute section already being overpopulated at Mac.
Old 05-09-2011 at 11:57 PM   #13
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

I am not sure what level grade 8 RCM would entail, but I have never had any private lessons on my instrument, just the experience from high school and random piano lessons from when I was a kid. I remember asking Dr. Kinder in first year for some sample pieces I could use for my audition last year - if you can't find/think of anything, then find him in the first week or so of school and he'll give you some sheet music that's appropriate (this is for concert band, and he gave me some pieces that didn't look too hard and I ended up playing something else). But pretty much any two contrasting pieces from some sort of solo/study book should be fine. There are quite a few trumpet and flute players but don't let it discourage you. I'm pretty sure that if you are interested enough before school has even started to be involved, you are more than qualified. Just don't expect first chair or anything . Best of luck and have a great summer!

Bug324 says thanks to yoni for this post.