MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
psych 1x03 question dumbconsumer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-13-2010 08:30 AM
psych 1x03 tutorial question krispies123 Academics 5 09-09-2010 01:48 PM
Psych 1x03 MIpolice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-21-2010 06:02 PM
Psych 1X03 niteskie General Discussion 6 09-09-2009 10:36 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

A question about PSYCH 1X03

Old 07-03-2010 at 01:45 PM   #1
tauhaa

Liked: 0 Times

A question about PSYCH 1X03
I have a question about the course PSYCH 1X03. I want to take this course as one of my elective courses for the Fall 2010 session.
Is it necessary to have knowledge of Biology for this course? I have not taken Biology at all, so I need to know if I will be able to sit this course comfortably.
Please guide me accordingly.
Old 07-03-2010 at 01:56 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

You don't need Biology for either of the Psych courses although it is recommended because you'll learn about the brain, neurons and the sodium/potassium pump in Psych 1XX3. I didn't really cover any of thsoe when I took Biology but I ended up doing fine in Psych 1XX3. It's all about doing the work, researching supplementary materials (i.e. youtube videos, etc) if you don't understand something. I felt Psych 1X03 was more a 'social science' course. It required understanding of how things happened and what affects they had on the person and their behaviour more than just learning a bunch of bio. Actually I can't remmeber any bio from Psych 1X03

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

tauhaa likes this.
Old 07-03-2010 at 02:07 PM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Psych 1X03 is basically Social Psychology, you'll do fine in that with absolutely no biology background. Psych 1XX3 on the other hand is mainly Neuroscience and that benefits from a biology background.

If you're only taking 1X03 biology shouldn't matter at all.
Old 07-03-2010 at 03:31 PM   #4
tauhaa

Thanks a lot!

I managed to register for PSYCH 1X03 through SOLAR, but when I tried to register for PSYCH 1XX3, I got a bounce-back saying "You do not have the academic requisites for course: PSYCH 1XX3."
What requisites could they possibly be referring to? I already registered for PSYCH 1X03.

Oh, and I took 19 units in Term 1, and 18 in Term 2. I need to take 3 more for Co-Op right? Is there a 3rd term as well?
Old 07-03-2010 at 03:37 PM   #5
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

For 1xx3 you need grade 12 bio

Heres the description I pulled from the undergrad calendar

PSYCH 1XX3 FOUNDATIONS OF PSYCHOLOGY, NEUROSCIENCE & BEHAVIOUR
This course builds on the scientific methods of PSYCH 1X03 and introduces important themes as the foundations to investigate psychology, neuroscience and behaviour with an emphasis on sensory systems, and behaviours critical to survival.
Three hours (lecture, web modules, weekly tutorials); one term
Prerequisite(s):
PSYCH 1X03 and credit or registration in Grade 12 Biology U or BIOLOGY 1P03
Antirequisite(s):
PSYCH 1A03, 1NN3
Old 07-03-2010 at 04:52 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauhaa View Post
Thanks a lot!

I managed to register for PSYCH 1X03 through SOLAR, but when I tried to register for PSYCH 1XX3, I got a bounce-back saying "You do not have the academic requisites for course: PSYCH 1XX3."
What requisites could they possibly be referring to? I already registered for PSYCH 1X03.

Oh, and I took 19 units in Term 1, and 18 in Term 2. I need to take 3 more for Co-Op right? Is there a 3rd term as well?
Yeah, you'd have to take Bio 1P03 if you don't have gr12 bio, in order to take 1XX3.

For the number of units, what program are you in? The normal number of units is 15 per term, but if you're in engineering then it's different.

There is a term 3, sort of. Term 1 runs from Sept-Dec, Term 2 runs from Jan-Apr, and Term 3 runs from Sept-Apr. Term 3 courses are usually 6 units, which indicates that they run for the full year instead of only half a year.

tauhaa likes this.
Old 07-03-2010 at 05:05 PM   #7
tauhaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Yeah, you'd have to take Bio 1P03 if you don't have gr12 bio, in order to take 1XX3.

For the number of units, what program are you in? The normal number of units is 15 per term, but if you're in engineering then it's different.

There is a term 3, sort of. Term 1 runs from Sept-Dec, Term 2 runs from Jan-Apr, and Term 3 runs from Sept-Apr. Term 3 courses are usually 6 units, which indicates that they run for the full year instead of only half a year.
Thanks for the information about the second Psychology course.
I'm in Engineering (1st Year), so how should the units be divided up for me (and how many are to be taken)?
The term 3 thing makes sense as well now, so thanks for that!
Old 07-03-2010 at 05:10 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauhaa View Post
Thanks for the information about the second Psychology course.
I'm in Engineering (1st Year), so how should the units be divided up for me (and how many are to be taken)?
The term 3 thing makes sense as well now, so thanks for that!
Alright, then you need 37 units I'm not sure how they should be divided up (since I'm not in engineering myself) but I think most of the courses only have one time slot where they run? The requirements are here: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1197.html
If you have any choice as to which term to put stuff in, try to balance your schedule so the number of units each term is as even as possible. 19 in one term and 18 in the other seems as balanced as you can get Based on what I read in the course calendar, you don't need 3 more units, since you already have 37.
Old 07-03-2010 at 05:27 PM   #9
tauhaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Alright, then you need 37 units I'm not sure how they should be divided up (since I'm not in engineering myself) but I think most of the courses only have one time slot where they run? The requirements are here: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1197.html
If you have any choice as to which term to put stuff in, try to balance your schedule so the number of units each term is as even as possible. 19 in one term and 18 in the other seems as balanced as you can get Based on what I read in the course calendar, you don't need 3 more units, since you already have 37.
Actually, I have 34 courses selected at the moment (I was unable to register for the 2nd Psy course as I do not have Biology)
I really want to take CMST 1A03, but sadly it's full for both term 1 and term 2. Is it possible that the course may become available sometime in the future? If so, I would prefer waiting until it opens up. would you recommend it?
Also, would taking more than 37 courses help me get a scholarship or something in that line?
Old 07-03-2010 at 05:35 PM   #10
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

You won't get a scholarship for taking more than 37 units, but it will make your costs higher. Which actually might help you get more from OSAP, but I still wouldn't recommend it until you see how you handle the workload of 37 units. You can always add more for second term at a later date!

Its definitely possible for the course to open up at a later date, just keep checking back.
Old 07-03-2010 at 05:36 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Taking more than 37 courses won't help you get a scholarship--if they look at your GPA, they don't care if you take more courses or courses at a different level, but they will care if you took less courses.
You should just register for anything right now, to get the full 37 units so that your payment agreement isn't screwed up (since you pay based on the number of units). When SOLAR reopens on July 12, you can keep checking for spots, and then when it reopens in Aug (after timetables come out), you can keep checking. I got into my elective for second term in October last year, so don't give up
Old 07-03-2010 at 05:40 PM   #12
tauhaa

Thanks guys, you've been really helpful. I'll definately get back to you if I need anymore help