MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sessional average? maryam17 Academics 1 05-01-2010 04:40 PM
Two Hundred McMaster Sessional Professors Face LayoffI lorend Academics 64 07-23-2009 12:55 PM
MacWork / McMaster Summer Work Program Application Questions. Kurt_ General Discussion 4 03-02-2009 02:07 PM

Questions on Diversity at McMaster and Sessional Profs

Old 03-22-2008 at 11:39 AM   #1
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Questions on Diversity at McMaster and Sessional Profs
So I'm in my final year of highschool and I've already applied to McMaster and I've been accepted. I've also applied to universities in Toronto and have been accepted.

However, I've always known that McMaster is more known for engineering and health sciences and programs like that. I on the other hand, applied to social sciences. I'm a little worried about like, whether or not if the social sciences department is really respected as much as the next program, you know? So what do you guys think?

Also, this didn't worry me until I recently went on a campus tour a week ago, but I realized that there aren't many minorities on campus. I honestly felt a little uncomfortable because of the stares I received. I'm black and while I've hung out with whites and south/east asians my whole life, I don't know what the atmosphere is like at McMaster in terms of race. Toronto is fine because it's so multicultural, whereas Hamilton isn't so much. I mean, if I live on residence, I'll most likely end up with someone who doesn't have the same background, and I don't want to be disadvantaged because of it. Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2008 at 11:56 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

McMaster is actually one of the most ethnically diverse campuses in Canada. You have people coming from all over the country, as well as all over the world. When I was in first year, there were people on my floor from China, Korea, Japan, Mexico, the Congo, India, Pakistan, Columbia, the US, Isreal and a whole bunch of others I can't remember right now.

McMaster is also an extremely culturally-based campus. For this academic year there were 48 culturally-based clubs on campus. Many of the academic clubs on campus also have cultural bases. For more info on the clubs at Mac check out this website: http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/clubs/listings.php

Also, the point of living in residence is to learn about other people and their cultures...I lived with someone from a completly different background than I did, as did a lot of my friends. We all took something different from the experience, and in turn learned what the lives of other people are like.

Unfortunately at McMaster there is a bit of a bias towards the Eng/Health Sci/Sciences programs. Because donors think they are more "important" (in terms of health care research and the like), they tend to get more funding than Soc Sci and the Humanities. However, many of McMaster's Humanities and Soc Sci profs are well-known in their fields for their work.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-22-2008 at 01:23 PM   #3
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post

Also, this didn't worry me until I recently went on a campus tour a week ago, but I realized that there aren't many minorities on campus. I honestly felt a little uncomfortable because of the stares I received. I'm black and while I've hung out with whites and south/east asians my whole life, I don't know what the atmosphere is like at McMaster in terms of race. Toronto is fine because it's so multicultural, whereas Hamilton isn't so much. I mean, if I live on residence, I'll most likely end up with someone who doesn't have the same background, and I don't want to be disadvantaged because of it. Thoughts?
Maybe you just went on a bad day? Or maybe it was all in your head? o.o

I've visited Mac quite a few times for school trips and campus tours, and I found it to be very diverse compared to the other unis I visited. Do you live in Toronto? Cause if you do, maybe your just used to that level of diversity... afterall, its one of the most multicultural cities in the world... but Hamilton is definitely not as bad as it seems.
Old 03-22-2008 at 03:27 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Haha, maybe it was all in my head. Thanks for the responses though. Toronto is ridiculously diverse and I've never lived anywhere else, so that's probably why. =D

I'm looking forward to being apart of the social science community though. I heard that the professors are pretty approachable.
Old 03-23-2008 at 12:16 PM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I'm in Social Sciences at Mac. The profs know your names and they're easy to talk to (just not in first year because there's too many students). If you love what you're doing and you're really passionate about it the prof will see that in you and will start conversations with you.

The diversity thing-- I don't know. Personally, I feel like I'm a minority maybe it's because I've never had a lot of white friends. Honestly, there are students at Mac who will tell you to watch your language if you insult a person's race, sexual orientation and so on. Being black, asian, white, brown, purple or blue doesn't change the fact that you're in school to learn. We ARE an inclusive bunch! =) To tell you the truth, I've only met one other Portuguese person at Mac. Sure, I'm sad that there aren't more but I've met the most amazing people anyway!

If you really want to meet some friends of the same background there must be a club on campus somewhere!

Hope you make the choice to come to Mac! It really is a great school! =)
Old 03-23-2008 at 02:54 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Aww thanks for that post, it's pretty inspiring. I don't need to meet people of the same background, I welcome anyone and everyone in my life as friends. I was just worried that Mac students may not be the same, but from what was said here, it seems like they are thankfully.

Hopefully I'll see you in september.
Old 03-23-2008 at 06:23 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Hi feonateresa,

I agree with everyone who has posted above, McMaster is definitely a diverse campus. In fact, I'd say that at any time of the day you could easily look around the student center and see a large number of 'non-white' students. I also know a lot of friends who are of African or Indian ethnic/cultural origin. So I think it would be false to say that there aren't a lot of minorities on campus.

One student club that came to mind when reading the comments above is the African Caribbean Association: http://www.myspace.com/acamcmaster
Old 03-28-2008 at 03:21 PM   #8
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

Hey Feonateresa,

Regarding diversity at Mac, I've found it to be incredibly diverse, so no worries there.

However regarding the social sciences, they're NOT a priority at Mac. Recently, most (if not all) of the contract faculty in the social sciences were told that their contracts would not be renewed next year, meaning that several departments will be short 3-5 professors when offering their courses next year.

This will probably mean larger classes and a reduced course selection. *le sigh* Despite this, the profs seem pretty approachable and like generally nice folk. Hope this helps some. Take care!
Old 03-28-2008 at 04:02 PM   #9
FlyWithMac

Liked: 0 Times

To tell you the truth, I'm also worried about the fact that I am going to be a minority (i am asian btw). I also saw so alot of white prospective students on campus and I felt like a little bit left out on the tour. But I dont really care much about that. If there really is discrimination on campus, I would face it because one way or another you're going have to deal with people of every race.

But what I've seen in this thread, it enlightened me to think that the future is bright for every student of different backgrounds at McMaster.
Old 03-28-2008 at 06:50 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWithMac View Post
To tell you the truth, I'm also worried about the fact that I am going to be a minority (i am asian btw). I also saw so alot of white prospective students on campus and I felt like a little bit left out on the tour. But I dont really care much about that. If there really is discrimination on campus, I would face it because one way or another you're going have to deal with people of every race.

But what I've seen in this thread, it enlightened me to think that the future is bright for every student of different backgrounds at McMaster.
Yeah, the time I went on the tour, the other prospective students were the ones giving me dirty stares mostly. I went back to visit a friend yesterday, and it was a lot more diverse. It's strange though, because I've been to mac's campus before and didn't see it so much. I guess yesterday was a busy day. ;P
Old 03-28-2008 at 07:03 PM   #11
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

If it makes you feel slightly better my closest friends at McMaster are Asian and I'm a minority in our group. They joke about it but I don't care because they're still my friends and mean nothing by it. I don't look or even think about a person's skin colour or background (disability, gender, etc) when I talk to them. I talk to anyone. People talk to whoever. It's cool when you're the same background. Keep in mind that we aren't in high school though. There's no ethnic seating cafeteria at McMaster. =P
Old 03-28-2008 at 09:12 PM   #12
joset2

Liked: 0 Times

When I was in highschool, I made sure I checked out all the univeristies I applied to. I did walk tours....orientation. ..this ....that....but none gave me the feeling I got while I was @ mac. I felt home here but at the same time I realized the large number of students it catered to. Mac has been a home to an ethnically and culturally diverse body of students. Im really glad that you are considering our school. Although I am in science, I have taken several arts, social science and philosophy courses and the profs are amazinng. I am sure you will have the time of your life here!!!

GO MARAUDERS!!!!!!:drink ing08:
Old 03-28-2008 at 10:27 PM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Come to Mac anytime during the afternoon (1-2pm) and go in the student center. You'll see a lot of people then, as it's about the time that the building gets packed with students eating lunch.

It could have been luck of the draw with the tour group you were with.

PS. Did the tour groups split you up by faculty and show you around your specific faculty? Or was it just a general tour of everything?
Old 03-28-2008 at 10:59 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Come to Mac anytime during the afternoon (1-2pm) and go in the student center. You'll see a lot of people then, as it's about the time that the building gets packed with students eating lunch.

It could have been luck of the draw with the tour group you were with.

PS. Did the tour groups split you up by faculty and show you around your specific faculty? Or was it just a general tour of everything?
Haha, yeah, I was at the student center at around 2 and it was crazy busy and it was a lot more diverse than I originally thought. Even my friend who went to McMaster said the same thing, but I think he was just catering to my former fears. ;P

Yeah the tour was split up by faculties and programs, but my group only passed by the social science faculty, never really went in. Togo Salmon Hall I think it was.
Old 03-28-2008 at 11:03 PM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Be sure to come during an orientation day and get a better look at the facilities inside. Of course, not much to see except classrooms really, but it's always fun to look around. Beware, the basement of the arts quad is easy to get lost in