MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confusion About Moving up a Level healthsci1 Academics 3 05-25-2010 10:41 PM
Question about moving up a level Levix Academics 2 05-17-2010 02:05 PM
Anyone going to Engineering Level 2 ????? endearing66 Academics 15 07-06-2009 05:59 AM
Question about moving level 2 engineer and course drop... hellrise First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 02-25-2009 02:11 PM

Questions About Engineering: Course Failure and Moving to Level 2

Old 04-03-2009 at 02:01 PM   #16
leech3

Liked: 2 Times

Even if the marks from my summer school courses make my CA become a 4.0, I would still need to be reinstated and do courses over again?
Old 04-03-2009 at 02:07 PM   #17
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Definitely a question that the people in the associate dean's office can answer for sure.

Drop by JHE/A214 to set up an appointment.
Old 04-03-2009 at 04:45 PM   #18
leech3

Okay thanks, I'll go and do that.

For going into Engineering II, I understand that the marks from Term 1 and 2 need to equal a CA of 4.0. Sally Williams explained that in one of my 1P03 classes.

How about for the sake of staying in the facaulty? I know that it's 4.0 as well, but it's the sum of the marks from the two terms and the summer, am I right about that?

I just wanna clear up as much as I can before seeing a counselor.
Old 04-03-2009 at 06:38 PM   #19
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

No, the summer marks don't count towards the 4.0 you need to get into Eng II. They only count as a pass.

The 4.0 needed is the sessional average, meaning from September to May. The summer marks will count for your overall average but not to get into Eng II.

Hope this clears things up
Old 04-03-2009 at 06:45 PM   #20
leech3

Yeah, that's what I sorta thought as well. Thanks for your input. now I feel more sure that that's how things work.

The one thing I'm still wondering is if someone doesn't make the average for getting into Eng II, but makes it for passing first year. This means they've passed first year (although later than everyone else), but they're not in a second year program. If that's the case, what happens then?
Old 04-03-2009
micadjems
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-03-2009 at 07:43 PM   #21
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

There will always be... For now at least... One program with no admissions average. Materials just started in my year. Eng phys doesn't usually, and other ones depending on demand that year. Again, if everyone wanted into pain- I mean eng phys- then it would have a high one.

There will always be something you can try. You may as well! That's how I got into my program, and I ended up loving it!!
micadjems
Old 04-03-2009
micadjems
Old 04-03-2009 at 08:56 PM   #22
leech3

I guess you're right. It's not like I have a definite idea of what I want to go into anyways. lol

By the way, which program are you in?
Old 04-03-2009 at 09:10 PM   #23
micadjems
Awesome Member

Materials and Society

At the time i felt i wanted civil and management - i took a civil course this year and HATED it - and all my friends in management say it's death..

if there's anything i can sell you on, please let it be society. its seriously freakin awesome! You get to have more fun than everyone else and have discussions about sustainability and culture and technology and world issues... very fun
Old 04-04-2009 at 12:10 PM   #24
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

I have also consulted with students in eng+mgmt and they all seem to love the diversity of taking commerce courses. I would hardly say it's death, it just deviates from the normal engineering courses. There is still math involved, but you get to take on a different perspective of the working world.
Old 04-04-2009 at 12:22 PM   #25
micadjems
Awesome Member

Well, thats the thing with society - we can take courses outside of engineering that are FUN!! And what we are interested in - I'm getting a minor in theatre and film.

From a graduated engineer's perspective (my boyfriend), he says that the only good part of eng+mgmt is the final year capstone courses and the specific engineering+mgmt courses. the hr, marketing, accounting, all that in the middle is bs and useless.

All i hear from my friends is that its a big pain in the ass most of the time.

Depends on what you want to do though - if you feel it will be worth it, go nuts! I just warn that it's not so fun.