Summer School Grades ferreinm MacInsiders Announcements 21 07-14-2009 09:01 PM
Summer school (term 1) grades MLSA29 Academics 11 06-30-2009 08:58 PM

Questions about Grades, Summer School, and LEAP

Old 04-16-2008 at 07:42 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

And I have a feeling the LEAP program is new this year...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-17-2008 at 12:10 AM   #32
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

On the website, it says LEAP is entering its 4th year, so I guess it's not that new. o_O

I have a question that's mostly on topic (although not according to the topic title!) though. What is the engineering experience weekend like? I've been considering it, but I'm wondering if it's worth the weekend of lost schoolwork time... That sounds really nerdy, doesn't it? :P
Old 04-17-2008 at 07:01 AM   #33
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Hmmm. It's really hard to keep all of the programs Mac does throughout the summer straight. There are Eng ones, Commerce ones, leadership ones...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-17-2008 at 07:17 AM   #34
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

It really depends on what kind of school work you have to do. If it's just regular review, then yes it's worth it. If you have a test on Monday or Tuesday following I would say don't do it.

Here's what I said about it before:
Quote:
Another thing I can suggest is checking out the Engineering Experience Weekend in May. I'm not sure if you've received any literature on it yet. Here's where you can sign up http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/prospective/tours.htm. Scroll down to Engineering Experience Weekend.

It takes place May 10-11 this year and the deadline to sign up is April 28th. A couple of years back I was a group leader for this and it was a lot of fun. It is like camp though (you're only there for a night). You get split up into groups, you watch some presentations related to the project then you get to work on it for a while. After that we gave you a tour of the campus and then headed to residence for some activities. The next day you present your project to faculty, staff and industry representatives (as well as parents and peers) and then you're off.
Old 04-19-2008 at 09:49 AM   #35
Aestas

Liked: 0 Times

Just in case anyone else wanted to know, I emailed the people in charge of LEAP and you have to take both the camp and the advanced courses. You can't just take one.
Old 04-19-2008 at 01:58 PM   #36
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Hmmm....but if you look at the courses and fees page, it shows that the residence fee is optional.

Which e-mail did you use? I e-mails [email protected] and asked about the camp aspect, but I havn't gotten a response yet.

Either way, I am leaning towards going to LEAP. I think I might actually enjoy the camp aspect...I'd probably be bored otherwise. My parents have also agreed to chip in about half the cost.

Im also having trouble finding a job this summer so i need something to do
Old 04-19-2008 at 03:46 PM   #37
Aestas

I emailed goeng1 and they forwarded me to the lady in charge of LEAP. Yes, residence fee is optional but the camp fee isn't. The advanced courses are actually add-ons so they're free for incoming engineering students.

I think I will probably do the LEAP thing (if I come to Mac...) just because I don't want to be bogged down next year, and yeah, some of the program choices seem interesting.
Old 04-19-2008 at 04:57 PM   #38
J-Met
Elite Member

I have a feeling those program choices aren't for the grade 12 students taking HEADSTART. If you at the chart in the courses and fees section, there are the program choices and then the headstart option is seperate at the end.

Either way, I will probably take it....will be a good transition from fairly easy high school into what Ive heard is brutal first year for engineering.
Old 04-19-2008 at 05:48 PM   #39
Aestas

Here is the email:

Thank you for your interest in LEAP and HEADSTART. The 2 credit courses in HEADSTART are add on components to LEAP. Available to those students who are entering 1st year university, at no extra charge. You must be enrolled into LEAP for 4 weeks to be able to choose the HEADSTART. If you are coming to McMaster University Year 1 Engineering in September 2008, and you have successfully passed the HEADSTART courses at LEAP you will have a lighter course schedule…or you may choose to add some electives in those spots.
Old 04-21-2008 at 04:22 PM   #40
J-Met
Elite Member

This is the e-mail I recieved when I asked questions about the LEAP program.

Are you requiring what residence life is like, at LEAP? It is a full planned program, with pre-planned extracurricular activities during the evening and weekends. Once the residence group sits down for orientation, some activities may be altered based on the groups interests. The only homework you would have is from the HEADSTART component. Time needed to complete these components will be taken into consideration by the residence counselors who will be staying with you at residence. During weekends, day trips are planned outside the Hamilton area, such as Canada’s Wonderland, Toronto Science Centre. It is for these trips that you need to either pack a lunch or purchase one while you are there. The residence is equipped with a full kitchen, so you can purchase food if you wish. The meal cards you receive can be used on campus and some off campus eateries. If you need to leave to go home during the weekend, we will need a note from your parents letting us know. Other times you may want to bring your own money is for snacks when you are out during movie night or bowling night. Entrance fees and transportation are included in your residence package.

The HEADSTART component is designed to be equivalent to the course which is offered in September. In HEADSTART you will be given projects and exams which you will be marked on. And you will need a passing mark to be exempt from the 1P03 & 1C03 course in September. The LEAP modules consist of a lecture, followed by a fun problem solving activity. At the end of each session you work on a larger project. There will be no homework, exams or any marking, the program is designed for enrichment purposes only. Students taking LEAP in the past have noted that the skills learned at LEAP helped them with their first year in engineering at McMaster. Those students taking the HEADSTART were very pleased that their course load was lighter. The class sizes are significantly smaller than during a normal semester and you will have a lot of opportunity to have one–on–one attention from the class counselor. If you need any further explanation or assistance with the tasks you will have the opportunity to ask questions and receive the attention needed.

I dont really like how they brag about it being a full planned program, but everything else sounds alright. If I dont find a good job this summer I think I will do it.
Old 04-21-2008 at 04:52 PM   #41
Aestas

I think if I choose Mac, I'll definitely do the program. I won't be staying in res though, so I'm a bit worried about missing out on some fun. However, since I am from the GTA and will be living in res for the school year, I don't think the extra $2000 is justified. Hopefully renting out a room by myself won't be too boring during the weekdays!
Old 04-21-2008 at 06:04 PM   #42
J-Met
Elite Member

Well, the classes run from 9 until 4, and I'd imagine there would be some group homework after that, so i wouldn't think you'd be too bored on weekdays. As far as I know, even if your not staying in the residence, you still get to choose certain events you'd like to attend. And seeing as most of them seem to be things like bowling and movie nights, I wouldn't imagine they would be too much extra money.
Old 04-21-2008 at 08:15 PM   #43
Aestas

You're always the voice of reason, J-Met. Hopefully I'll see you there!
Old 04-22-2008 at 06:11 AM   #44
J-Met
Elite Member

haha, thanks. I probably will see you there....so long as no one offers me a good job this summer
Old 04-25-2008 at 03:44 PM   #45
J-Met
Elite Member

Here is another e-mail i recieved regarding LEAP:

Upon successfully passing HEADSTART you will be given an advance standing for the IP03 and 1C03 courses. Even though you still select the courses on your YEAR 1 course sheet, you will be exampled from taking the course. There will not be a mark reflected in your transcripts, it will only state that you passed the courses, thus your aver rage will not be effected. This is what happened last year, I have not heard from the professor if there has been any changes.

If you are taking HEADSTART you still need to select one additional course per session. The HEADSTART is actually an add-on to LEAP for those students who will be attending Engineering the following September. The only course that has filled up in the past has been bio-medical, due to lab restrictions these classes max out at 10 registrants per session. This year the robotics has been equally popular. You should apply early to ensure your spot, regardless of which option it is.

I suppose I should sign up soon, I want to do the robotics module both sessions. However, does anyone really know if there will be any consequences for having two courses without grades? I know I will need my first year average, because I want to do management option second year, but will having these two courses marked simply as a "pass" put me at any sort of disadvantage?