MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning and prerequisites for second year Angoose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 06-26-2010 03:39 PM
prerequisites for LIFE SCI 2C03 DMe3 Academics 1 06-26-2010 12:18 AM
Question about prerequisites Rakim Academics 5 06-13-2010 03:28 PM
Getting Prerequisites Waived? jade177 Academics 1 06-07-2010 06:35 PM
Prerequisites adam1993 General Discussion 6 03-12-2009 05:34 PM

questions about required prerequisites..

Old 06-24-2010 at 07:00 PM   #1
xsanx

Liked: 0 Times

questions about required prerequisites..
I'm going into second year for a Health, Aging and Society and have started thinking about doing nursing. The requirements are:

Completion of High School Diploma plus;
Grade 12 U/M requirements - 6 courses in total, including:
• English (ENG4U)
• One of: Advanced Functions (MHF4U), Calculus & Vectors (MCV4U), Mathematics of Data Management (MDM4U)
• Biology (SBI4U)
• Chemistry (SCH4U)

I do not have Bio, Chemistry orrr Math. I am thinking about taking bio in my second year, but how would taking chem and math work? Would I be able to get permission of some kind to take into chemistry? as I do not have g11 chemistry either and that is a prerequisite for the chem offered at McMaster. Is there any introductory math that I would be able to take? If someone could help me figure this out it would be really appreciated since I'm really confused at the moment. Thank you.
Old 06-24-2010 at 07:19 PM   #2
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

When you apply to nursing, if you have any university background, your admission is based on your university academics... not your highschool ones.
So if you are going into 2nd year right now, according to Nursing admission, your highschool grades and/or courses are insignificant really.

Quote:
What are the requirements to apply as an applicant with a university background?
Applicant must have at least 12 units (2 full credits or 4 half credits) of university work with an overall 70% average. The 12 units can be in anything, as long as they are university level courses.
Do you look at all of my university courses or just my current course work?
All of your university work will be taken into consideration. Applicants must have an cumulative GPA of 70% or higher.
How many spots are there for applicants with a university background?
There are approximately 10 spots.
http://www-fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/e...cn_admit.shtml

Last edited by Charbs : 06-24-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2010 at 07:55 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

There's also an accelerated nursing program that starts in 3rd year. It does have some required courses (such as anatomy/physiology...not sure about any others) but it wouldn't set you back. It's definitely worth looking into if you want to switch into nursing.
Old 06-24-2010 at 08:20 PM   #4
xsanx

Thanks Charbs, so do you mean that I don't need to take math or anything and just have at least a 70 average? Or will I still need to take the math chem and bio because those courses are my main concern. And neural, could you tell me more about how the accelerated program works and the requirements or courses I should be taking in second yr to be seen considered for third year? Sorry for sounding like an idiot but the mcmaster website is confusing me :(
Old 06-24-2010 at 08:26 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

I just googled 'mcmaster nursing' and found this page: http://www-fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/e...cn_accel.shtml

It has the required courses and application stuff.

This page http://www-fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/educ_faq.shtml has contact info in case you have any questions
Old 06-24-2010 at 08:33 PM   #6
xsanx

thanks, although it says that i need psychology and biochemistry and stuff and for all those courses i need chem bio and all that. fml!
Old 06-24-2010 at 08:37 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

mac offers chem and bio courses that are equivalent to high school chem & bio, so if you take those courses first it will allow you to take the prereqs for nursing. talk to an academic advisor about it, they can help you figure out courses.
Old 06-24-2010 at 09:31 PM   #8
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

If you don't go the accelerated route, it will take you 4 years. If you already have university credits, they will count toward your electives but they won't reduce the no. of years of study. Check out the prereqs for the accelerated program and try to complete them this year and that way you would be finished uni in 4 years instead of 6.
Old 06-24-2010 at 09:32 PM   #9
xsanx

alright thank you guys so much
Old 06-24-2010 at 09:52 PM   #10
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Since you're in Social Science, it might be a bit hard to get the pre-reqs for the accelerated program. Psych shouldn't be a big problem since there are so many spots, and apparently it isn't too hard to get a waiver to take 1XX3 without Bio, but the rest might be a bit harder. You can take Chem 1A03 + 1AA3 instead of Biochem courses, and I know people who have been able to get a waiver to take it without Grade 12 chem. It will probably be pretty difficult though, since most people with Grade 12 chem still struggle with it. Anatomy doesn't require any high school Bio if you do Kin 1Y03 and 1YY3, but getting a spot is always a bit difficult (its a very popular course). Stats may or may not be a problem, you should email Vicki Lewis ([email protected]) to see if she can send you a list of stats courses that are accepted- some of the research and design classes in Soc Sci might count.

Another option if you don't mind starting from the beginning, but are worried about getting one of the 10 nursing spots open for people with Uni background, is to go to Mohawk for an RPN diploma, and then do the RPN to RN program. I have a friend who graduated from Anthropology doing that.

Don't get too discouraged about the Accelerated program though, I heavily recommend checking out the pre-reqs and trying for it!

Good luck!

Last edited by Marlowe : 06-24-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2010 at 10:17 PM   #11
MaryS

Liked: 17 Times

Good info
Old 06-25-2010 at 10:07 AM   #12
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Another option if you don't mind starting from the beginning, but are worried about getting one of the 10 nursing spots open for people with Uni background, is to go to Mohawk for an RPN diploma, and then do the RPN to RN program. I have a friend who graduated from Anthropology doing that.

Good luck!
I wouldn't recommend doing that route... because that will take 5 years total... 2 for RPN and 3 for the bridge RN program... if you are going to apply to MOhawk just apply for the Mo-Mac basic A-stream nursing... you graduate with the degree from Mac, and take all the same courses, but get done in the regular 4 years.

I don't know if they actually go by the 10 spots open for University students, I feel as though there were a lot of people in the program who had previous university experience... there were about 3 in my class of 10 alone.

So I'd say apply to both the Mac stream and the Mo-Mac stream.

Find out the pre-req's for the accelarated in terms of still coming as a university background... becasue the req's mentioned above may still be for high school students...
Old 06-25-2010 at 07:16 PM   #13
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Yeah, it takes longer which kindof sucks, but its still an option worth looking at. Applying to as many places/programs as possible is definitely a good idea, just in case you aren't accepted into your first choice.

I seem to recall reading somewhere else that they take around 10-20 students each year, but other places say 10. I assume it varies a bit though, based on the number of applications and the number of returning students.

The accelerated program is only open to people who have at least 2 years university, so the listed pre-reqs are definitely university classes only.
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:38 AM   #14
WannabeNurse

Based on my experience (given that I did not apply with university background, but with a pre-health certificate), when they say 10-20 people, they MEAN 10-20 people.

I applied to Mo-Mac and the Mac site for nursing this year. I got into Mo-Mac no problem, and assumed I would get one of the 10(ish) spots allocated for applicants with other educational backgrounds for the Mac site. I had a 96% percent average in the Pre-Health program I used to apply to both sites. NINETY SIX PERCENT was SOMEHOW not enough to get one of those 10 spots, which were based solely on grades. Still a little bruised about that one...after all, I did spend $190 to apply to the Mac site. In hindsight, what a ridiculous idea. The only difference between the two sites' curriculums is that in the four years of study, 3 classes must be taken from a list of COLLAB electives at the Mohawk site.

Anyways, this is turning into a rant, I'm sorry! My point is, don't put all your eggs in one basket. I'm very glad that I applied to Mo-Mac as a backup, because otherwise, I wouldn't be going to university this Sept.