MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whidden Hall '11 summercandy Whidden Hall Forum 26 07-17-2011 10:39 PM
Hamilton Hall and University Hall Watoko General Discussion 8 11-23-2010 12:42 AM
Whidden Hall '09 Chad Whidden Hall Forum 110 09-05-2009 02:12 AM
Whidden '08 Chad Whidden Hall Forum 51 09-05-2008 03:34 PM
Whidden Hall '07 lorend Whidden Hall Forum 26 07-02-2008 05:39 PM

Questions about Whidden Hall...

Old 08-03-2011 at 10:52 AM   #1
redasangay

Liked: 1 Time

Questions about Whidden Hall...
I was assigned to a bunk and loft in Whidden but I have heard that the bunk and lofts are too cluttered to study and that overall, Whidden is a party residence.

Since I am in Life Sciences, I will be studying most of the time so I am concerned about lack of space. As well, I'm Muslim so I don't drink or party hard. So my questions are that will a bunk and loft be good enough for studying (mabye some of you would like to share experiences) and is the party scene constantly happening?

I'm just alittle concerned.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:00 AM   #2
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

I was in a Moulton bunk and loft last year, and I was extremely disappointed in it. I definitely had no space to study in my room.

- My desk was too short to fit a textbook and a workbook, or alternately a laptop and a workbook.
- There was about a foot and a half worth of space between the desk and the back of the loft, so I could hardly even sit comfortably in my room and work (the best I could do was back up my chair as far as it would go and squeeze in -- and I'm not a hefty guy)
- There was no power outlet on my bunk so I had to run an extension cord from my roommate's outlet, through my bed and onto my shelf so I could have an alarm and charge my phone (talk about a fire hazard; my roommate on the loft got an outlet by his bed).
- The room itself was cramped; hardly more than my arm's width worth of space between the bunk and the loft (and that makes up most of the room)
- My sleep schedule didn't match my two roommates'
- I REALLY didn't get along with one room mate who refused to ever leave the room outside of class.

I resorted to spending all day every day in Moulton's basement to study. I can't believe I had to pay 4000 bucks for that room.

Last edited by Theashe : 08-03-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:02 AM   #3
Kylejc
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Theres partys all the time. Even in the study rooms. Ahh u better start drinking
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:12 AM   #4
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

Whidden bunk and lofts are definitely much better than those!

I was in a bunk and loft in my first year, and lived in Whidden in a single room in my second year.

I never had trouble spreading out my laptop, a textbook and some paper all on my desk. The rooms tend to be arranged in a way that gives you a good amount of space for having three people. If you do find that you don't have enough desk space, Whidden has a few study rooms in the basement you can use, or you can head to a library to study.

Whidden usually does have a lot of parties, but you can easily avoid them. I lived in the party floor the second time I was in Whidden, and you can just stay in your room and study. The building isn't that soundproof though so bring some good headphones if you can't deal with noise while studying. I personally never had a problem with the parties, it only gets loud Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and you can ignore them or go somewhere else for a bit if you find it too distracting.

Also, while there are people partying there are always more people who are not participating. It's never the case that you will be the only one not drinking, tons of people, for various reasons, won't be partying or drinking. If you make friends with them you can hang out while the parties are happening, and not deal with the party people at all.

Whidden seems to be a res that most people are very nervous about moving in to, but almost every person I know who lived there came to love it and love being there.
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:41 PM   #5
Sevan

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by redasangay View Post
I was assigned to a bunk and loft in Whidden but I have heard that the bunk and lofts are too cluttered to study and that overall, Whidden is a party residence.

Since I am in Life Sciences, I will be studying most of the time so I am concerned about lack of space. As well, I'm Muslim so I don't drink or party hard. So my questions are that will a bunk and loft be good enough for studying (mabye some of you would like to share experiences) and is the party scene constantly happening?

I'm just alittle concerned.
Although Whidden has been known as a party residence, it differs every year because a new, different group of people live there, so it's not always going to remain the same. Just another thing to think about. Hope everything turns out okay!
Old 08-03-2011 at 04:26 PM   #6
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

The parties are easy to avoid, if you want. But don't be the guy who studies ALL the time. And don't just stay in the room 24 hours a day or your roommates will think you are weird. I had a triple, and it was alright. I had one partier, but he went out to party. The other never left the room and it was really annoying*, but you can just go to a study room. Don't worry about it. There are times when you'll feel like there is nowhere to study - just go to a library during those times.

*REALLY annoying

Mahes likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 04:19 PM   #7
Artie312

I lived in a bunk & loft in Whidden last year, and one of my roommates was (from what you described yourself as) pretty much exactly like you. Sure we'd get into conflicts once in a while but it was all minor, and me and my other roommate would definitely party once in a while. But it all worked out fine.
As far as studying, the room can definitely get cluttered once but if you overlook that or spend 15 min a day cleaning you shouldn't have a problem with it. I had the loft bed, which in my opinion is the best one to have, and in that case your desk is huge, more than enough space to study. The second best option i'd say is the bottom bed of the bunk.
It's not hard to avoid the parties, but they're also nice when you're bored and need something to do, so I think it works in your favor, don't forget that you're in university not only to read books but also develop your social skills, parties are great way to that and how i justified going to them

I think you'll like it, dont worry too much!
Good luck!
Old 08-14-2011 at 12:58 PM   #8
brensiyah

i was in a bunk and loft last year on 2nd floor - depending on which room your in ( i had a corner room) there was plenty space. Also my roommates and I rearranged the beds and desk and had huge amount of space, i mean we had a couch in there

as for partying, people know when to study, and if your room is too noisy, there are alot of study rooms in the basement
Old 09-08-2011 at 09:04 AM   #9
sstrucel

Probably depends on you roomates. Mine were away most of the time so studying was easy. However once there are three people in that room it can be pretty hard to study. Also if your roomates like to party it will be even harder
Old 09-09-2011 at 11:21 AM   #10
landoni

I was in a bunk and loft room on second floor whidden in my first year and i didnt find it bad at all! It really depends on who you live with but all in all there are definitely ways around the small space, etc. Just lay down some ground rules at the start of the year about what you would like and I'm sure they will respect them. If you find you are having trouble studying in your room though there are plenty of places around campus (library, tutorial rooms, study rooms, etc.) that are available for your use. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2011 at 05:30 PM   #11
Devonn

I was in Whidden my first year and it was awesome. Yeah sometimes people can be noisy, but you're going to get that with every residence and not everyone is going to party wildly every year. That being said, I got all of my work done and studied every time in my room without stepping foot in the library or study rooms (although they are good alternatives to studying in your room if you find you can't get much done).
Old 12-01-2011 at 03:26 PM   #12
Matt Meiler

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I was in Whidden last year and fortunately had a double room. However, all the rooms are kind of crammed with stuff once you have another or two other roommates. There are some great study spaces in Whidden though. The basement common room, study hall, laundry room, piano room. All our options and perfectly good, as long as you can manage with the surroundings.
Old 01-03-2012 at 03:02 PM   #13
jchoichoi

It's not bad at all! I live in Whidden and during midterms and exams people study just as hard as other residences. Parties are unavoidable but just because they're happening doesn't mean you have to go to it. I love Whidden!