MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Is there enough space? x0xalishax0x Residence & Housing 2 08-27-2010 02:40 PM
Mills Learning Commons is a Quiet Study Space During Exams kldv Academics 1 04-07-2010 10:38 PM
Need A Quiet Place To Study? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-04-2009 06:00 PM
enough space for desktops? kanishka Les Prince Forum 16 08-12-2009 03:28 AM

Quiet Study Space during Exams

You asked for quiet space during exams, we're giving it to you. Starting April 10-April 28, Mills Learning Commons will be a quiet study space. For all the details, check out our post.

lawleypop, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to KristaG for this post.

.:callen:. likes this.
Published by
Mills - Reference Librarian

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 04-07-2010 at 10:02 AM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
I'm curious to see whether this area will actually be quiet. Usually it's a bunch of people hanging out late at night ;__;

Old 04-07-2010 at 10:14 AM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm curious to see whether this area will actually be quiet. Usually it's a bunch of people hanging out late at night ;__;
Very true. I hope it'll actually be quiet instead of how it usually is =S

Old 04-07-2010 at 12:30 PM   #4
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times
I was SO happy when I saw this posted at Mills yesterday. I really hope it's enforced. Having a 24 hour study space is great but the Learning Commons is usually useless because a lot of people just go there to eat and socialize.

Old 04-07-2010 at 03:14 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I love this idea! Thank you! Hopefully it works out okay.

Old 04-07-2010 at 10:35 PM   #6
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times
Huh, I guess I'm one of the few on here who thinks this sucks...
Perhaps it's because I consider the majority of the rest of campus to be more quiet spaces and learning commons to be where I work/spend time with my friends who commute to campus.
I personally really don't like the idea, but hey, I have my room in my house for a quiet space these days. I go to campus because I'm looking to study with people. Unlike those who are on campus because they live there...
Still... I'm not impressed... It gets quiet after everything else is closed anyways.

Old 04-07-2010 at 10:54 PM   #7
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
Cootes Paradise is pretty quiet place at night and not so bad if you bring a flashlight.

goodnews.inc, kldv, x_hikari like this.

Old 04-08-2010 at 08:53 AM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kldv View Post
Huh, I guess I'm one of the few on here who thinks this sucks...
Perhaps it's because I consider the majority of the rest of campus to be more quiet spaces and learning commons to be where I work/spend time with my friends who commute to campus.
I personally really don't like the idea, but hey, I have my room in my house for a quiet space these days. I go to campus because I'm looking to study with people. Unlike those who are on campus because they live there...
Still... I'm not impressed... It gets quiet after everything else is closed anyways.
If you want to study with people, you can book a study room at this link
http://library.mcmaster.ca/mrbs/

I like study rooms more than studying in the open because it's less distracting and you don't have to worry as much about being noisy.

Old 04-08-2010 at 09:10 AM   #9
kldv
Just Some Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
If you want to study with people, you can book a study room at this link
http://library.mcmaster.ca/mrbs/

I like study rooms more than studying in the open because it's less distracting and you don't have to worry as much about being noisy.
I almost find that point to be a double-negative in conjunction with the meaning of my post.
My point is that I have friends who commute to school, once they are there, they don't even have residences to go to. They can't exactly just book off a study room for the whole day (it would be easier [and better, think time usage] for you to book a room for an hour and pretend you are more then 1 person). The learning commons has become the place those people go. And people like me, like to work with them/spend time with them. It's the best place on campus to do that. It's not disastrous that the change is being made, but what it means, is a new place on campus is going to have to be found, and the student centre is NOT ideal.

I will admit, the learning commons has become a bit of a social club, looking around the room you can usually find a few regular groups. Half the room is people who are there more often then they are home, a quarter of the room is people using the room because they know the first half. The last quarter is people who come to the learning commons for the sole cause of doing work.

Although the atmosphere completely changes over exam time, and I suddenly start wondering why I am arguing against mills becoming a quiet zone during exams... I just move to the study carols in HSCL anyways... ok...

Old 04-08-2010 at 05:55 PM   #10
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times
^ Yeah, you're talking about the people like me.

I commute, and all of my classes are consecutive in the mornings. On the weeks where I don't have labs, including the last couple, I might be finished at 12.30 pm, but I leave to go home at 5.00 pm. What do I do for 5 hrs? I want to talk and eat and hang out with my friends, while having some work out and getting what I can done.

Old 04-08-2010 at 08:33 PM   #11
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
You guys should come hang out in the SOCS lounge on the second floor of the MUSC! Its a great place to hangout for people who live too far away to go home between classes.

xo.monica likes this.

Old 04-08-2010 at 09:14 PM   #12
kldv
Just Some Guy

Can the socs lounge fit at least 50 people and their friends at any given time?

Old 04-08-2010 at 09:30 PM   #13
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
I'm pretty bad with estimating sizes and such, but my guess would be yes with people sitting on the floor.

Its Clubspace, but we use it as a lounge during the day. It does fit a lot of students.

I think you misunderstood me though, I'm not suggesting it as a replacement for anyone displaced from Mills, I was just saying its a good place for commuters to hang out in general, all throughout the year.

Old 04-08-2010 at 10:18 PM   #14
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times
Why is this such a big deal? Isn't it better to just go to an empty classroom during the night?

Old 04-08-2010 at 10:20 PM   #15
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post
Why is this such a big deal? Isn't it better to just go to an empty classroom during the night?
Except you aren't really suppose to be there and if security comes to kick you out you are screwed if it is after 10 and all the buildings are closed lol

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search