MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Race For Dignity crazyfree General Discussion 4 03-08-2011 11:40 AM
Daily game Dec 16 : Neon Race Chad Daily Game 0 12-16-2010 04:37 AM
McMaster Amazing Race! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 01-09-2009 11:19 PM
The Amazing Race: McMaster Chapter Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 09-07-2008 03:02 PM

Race

Old 02-25-2011 at 07:34 PM   #1
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Race
What are your opinions on race (and by this, I mean ethnicity, culture, colour, whatever)?

Do you think it's something one should ignore, or appreciate/tolerate the differences of others without trying to ignore them?

Would you consider Indians and Pakistanis similar? What about "all white people" or "all arabs" (e.g., middle eastern people)?

I figured since the other thread was closed we can continue here without it being off topic ^_^
Old 02-25-2011 at 07:36 PM   #2
mcmasterrrrr

Liked: 24 Times

Oh dear god..... please no.

Alchemist11, siefer1322 like this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 07:40 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I think this is a personal question that should be at the discretion of the individual, and people should be free to embrace their own thingy, in general.

alh24 likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 07:43 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

IMO, I think that culture and ethnicity bring a wealth of engaging diversity into our interactions.
And by culture, I'm referring to whatever culture the individual identifies with, whether this is an Indian considering himself more Egyptian than Indian, or whether its a case of an immigrant considering his culture as everything beyond his skin tone, and simply calls himself "Canadian".

I personally love the differences between people - there's just so much to learn. I've met several individuals at Mac who have seen war, and riots and civil unrest in their countries first hand and consider those experiences part of who they are.

I also think it does add a lot of beauty to the world. Whether its chocolate skin, red hair or just a lot of freckles, we thrive on these differences if we can learn to celebrate them. These traits make us special, but we're all human and we're all pretty much experiencing the same human struggle. I think if we lose sight of that and begin glorifying ours over that of another person, ethnicity or country, we use our differences to divide us.

Accepting diversity doesn't mean being obsessed with it. It's looking into a garden, seeing flowers of all different varieties, taking the time to understand where they come from and how they work and appreciating the whole as beautiful. And it's also about paying individuals their due respect. We owe it to everybody to take the time to learn about their individual struggles. A tanned Caucasian growing up in a war torn region of Africa should have their experiences respected, and not just grouped into the oft propagated mindset of "white privilege".

It's really not hard to be a decent human being when it comes to race and diversity.
Ask respectful questions, take the time to examine your prejudices and biases and dare to challenge them, and take the time to understand people, as a whole and as an individual.

In other words:
Just.
Be.
Nice.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 02-25-2011 at 07:46 PM   #5
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

it was an okayy movie, not really a fan of katrina kaif

Alchemist11 says thanks to Jamalf for this post.

Alchemist11, Mahratta, RyanC like this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 07:55 PM   #6
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
IMO, I think that culture and ethnicity bring a wealth of engaging diversity into our interactions.
And by culture, I'm referring to whatever culture the individual identifies with, whether this is an Indian considering himself more Egyptian than Indian, or whether its a case of an immigrant considering his culture as everything beyond his skin tone, and simply calls himself "Canadian".

I personally love the differences between people - there's just so much to learn. I've met several individuals at Mac who have seen war, and riots and civil unrest in their countries first hand and consider those experiences part of who they are.

I also think it does add a lot of beauty to the world. Whether its chocolate skin, red hair or just a lot of freckles, we thrive on these differences if we can learn to celebrate them. These traits make us special, but we're all human and we're all pretty much experiencing the same human struggle. I think if we lose sight of that and begin glorifying ours over that of another person, ethnicity or country, we use our differences to divide us.

Accepting diversity doesn't mean being obsessed with it. It's looking into a garden, seeing flowers of all different varieties, taking the time to understand where they come from and how they work and appreciating the whole as beautiful. And it's also about paying individuals their due respect. We owe it to everybody to take the time to learn about their individual struggles. A tanned Caucasian growing up in a war torn region of Africa should have their experiences respected, and not just grouped into the oft propagated mindset of "white privilege".
I totally agree.

Though...when I said essentially the exact same thing in the last thread that got closed I was hated on immensely, virtually called racist, and was told I was the problem with mac etc. lol

alh24 likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 07:58 PM   #7
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

We should all just love each other, hugs, kisses etc. And of course world peace
Old 02-25-2011 at 08:23 PM   #8
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

It's a figment of our imagination.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 02-25-2011 at 08:45 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Another attempt at making us feel better about the pointlessness of life by shoveling the "everybody is unique" notion down our throats.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

...?!, Revolution1 like this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 09:55 PM   #10
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

And, such as, the Iraq.
Ah that clip never gets old.
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:11 PM   #11
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Would you consider Indians and Pakistanis similar? What about "all white people" or "all arabs" (e.g., middle eastern people)?
Indians and Pakistanis, within my experience, smell of curry. Since my criterion of demarcation is food-smells, I do indeed consider Indians and Pakistanis alike.
Similarly, white people smell of stale beer, and Arabs smell of post-explosion smoke. So yes, I do also consider 'white' and 'Arab' to be races

There's something mysterious about being on-topic - it makes one not want to post seriously...

Last edited by Mahratta : 02-25-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:13 PM   #12
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Indians and Pakistanis, within my experience, smell of curry. Since my criterion of demarcation is food-smells, I do indeed consider Indians and Pakistanis alike.
Similarly, white people smell of stale beer, and Arabs smell of post-explosion smoke. So yes, I do also consider 'white' and 'Arab' to be races

What do my people smell like!?
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:14 PM   #13
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Fishsauce. Or MSG.

JEFF_CHAN likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:15 PM   #14
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Like melamine.

JEFF_CHAN likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:21 PM   #15
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Like melamine.
I get the joke.

But to sorta being a nerd here.

Does melamine even have a detectable odor? I did a quick Google and couldn't find anything.