MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Radio Station mattatmac Music 12 12-09-2010 12:31 PM
Freedomain Radio NowHere General Discussion 18 12-06-2010 12:25 PM
McMaster Radio - Volunteering? Erika0909 Clubs & Groups 0 09-20-2010 03:47 PM
instumental radio station in Hamilton Starry Music 2 09-06-2010 07:22 PM
CFMU - McMaster's campus radio Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 0 07-17-2007 08:16 AM

Radio on Blackberry?

Old 06-27-2011 at 06:15 PM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Radio on Blackberry?
hey so i have a bold and im just trying to figure out how to use the fm/am radio on it. does anyone know how to set it up/use it? and does it cost anything?

also would i be able to use the radio if say i go into the US and i dont have service there (cus my phone contract is canada only)

oh and does it take up any data? is there a data free way to use the radio?
Old 06-29-2011 at 02:54 PM   #2
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Blackberries are not equipped to receive AM/FM radio frequencies. You must use internet radio to listen to radio stations. Find an internet radio app on the BlackBerry App World. It will be free for you if you don't go over your data limit or you're using WiFi.

The amount of data that internet radio uses depends on the quality. You'll typically see 160 kbps (kilobits per second). Do some math... one hour of radio at 160 kbps is 576000 kb. Convert this to kiloBYTES, 576000 kb / 8 = 72000 kB = 72 mB

So one hour of internet radio would consume 72 megabytes. On a 1 gig data plan, you could listen to about 13.8 hours of music before you'd be going over your limit and paying overages.

Don't, I repeat don't use data in the states. Even if you purchase a temporary roaming plan they will still charge you something ridiculous like $1 per megabyte.

Chevalier says thanks to sjager for this post.
Old 06-29-2011 at 03:03 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
Don't, I repeat don't use data in the states. Even if you purchase a temporary roaming plan they will still charge you something ridiculous like $1 per megabyte.
If you do go to the states you can always buy a "disposable"/prepaid cellphone. They are called disposable because you can buy them for like 10-15$. With AT&T you can be on a daily plan like 2$ per day for unlimited texts and talk or you can pay 10cents per minute.
Old 06-29-2011 at 03:04 PM   #4
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If you do go to the states you can always buy a "disposable"/prepaid cellphone. They are called disposable because you can buy them for like 10-15$. With AT&T you can be on a daily plan like 2$ per day for unlimited texts and talk or you can pay 10cents per minute.
That's not data.
Old 06-29-2011 at 05:29 PM   #5
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
is there a data free way to use the radio?
Yea. Wifi.