MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volunteers Needed - Tutors - Catholic Children's Aid Society mdeccas Volunteering Opportunities 0 06-07-2011 10:32 AM
DC++ Banned faytless General Discussion 22 09-13-2009 11:37 AM
DC++ falsely banned muffinccc General Discussion 6 09-11-2009 12:15 AM

Rainbows banned at Mississauga Catholic school

Old 06-07-2011 at 11:53 PM   #16
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post

Girls there are total sluts and these schools use taxpayers' money for their sports team. That's why they keep winning basketball tournaments.
Yo, I love your strategy of fighting ignorance with ignorance.

Mepper says thanks to Cliu91 for this post.

KN1991, Mepper like this.
Old 06-07-2011 at 11:54 PM   #17
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Yo, I love your strategy of fighting ignorance with ignorance.
That's funny, because everyone who's been to a catholic school would think otherwise.
Old 06-07-2011 at 11:55 PM   #18
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Thing is, catholic schools in Ontario are funded by govt, i.e your taxes pays those schools.

Why do the people have to pay for such nonsense.
i dont think this is entirely correct.. i went to catholic elementary and highschool... a form had to be filled out in order for our tax funds to be diverted to the catholic board.. i believe otherwise it goes public by default

Icecream likes this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 12:00 AM   #19
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
i dont think this is entirely correct.. i went to catholic elementary and highschool... a form had to be filled out in order for our tax funds to be diverted to the catholic board.. i believe otherwise it goes public by default
They are publicly funded, although I am not 100% sure how it works. What I DO know is...

On November 5, 1999 the United Nations Human Rights Committee condemned Canada and Ontario for having violated the equality provisions (Article 26) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The Committee restated its concerns on November 2, 2005, when it published its Concluding Observations regarding Canada's fifth periodic report under the Covenant. The Committee observed that Canada had failed to "adopt steps in order to eliminate discrimination on the basis of religion in the funding of schools in Ontario."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The UN!!!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separate_school

Eternal Fire, Icecream all say thanks to micadjems for this post.

Old 06-08-2011 at 12:09 AM  
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 06-08-2011 at 12:53 AM   #20
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

wow i am really disappointed by the hatred going on in these forums. First of all I am disappointed with the board as this isn't my school but the school 5 min from my house. I have gotten use to disappoint though as the board cut funding to my school. At our school, although I only knew two open lesbian girls in the four year I was there, did not any way put up a front against these them. They never chose to start a group, but if anyone bother them , they would be in serious shit and our chaplain preached about acceptance of others. I actually remember one of the girls doing a no speech day, with tape over her mouth to stand up for those who couldn't speak. We actually adopted this for an anti-abortion day which both the Catholic and Muslim majority of our school took apart in.

I have to say some of you are just as bad as the board for being discriminatory from the several remarks on grouping people together on this thread. :( Nice to know Im a slut

AelyaS, Biochem47, J. Dorey like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 01:03 AM   #21
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
wow i am really disappointed by the hatred going on in these forums
I agree. The stereotypes of Catholic schools are just ridiculous. Yes, there are a lot of "sluts", but you're going to get that at any school, not just Catholic schools (although the numbers were surprising at my school). I attended a Catholic school for both Elementary and Secondary education, and I like to think I turned out just fine. There was no open ridicule for gays/lesbians/other religions/anything else brought up on this board, seeing as how our school preached acceptance. Everyone has the right to their own religion; complaining about what a school based upon a specific religion does is the same as complaining about what a personal religion does, in my opinion. The posters stating negatives towards the Catholic system all seem to be non-religious. Just as they are non-religious and are open to criticize the Catholic school system, I can be faithful to my religion and complain about public schools and the ways in which they are run, yet I will be branded as a "bigot" or a "religious fanatic". The double standards are just ridiculous.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 01:07 AM   #22
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
I agree. The stereotypes of Catholic schools are just ridiculous. Yes, there are a lot of "sluts", but you're going to get that at any school, not just Catholic schools (although the numbers were surprising at my school). I attended a Catholic school for both Elementary and Secondary education, and I like to think I turned out just fine. There was no open ridicule for gays/lesbians/other religions/anything else brought up on this board, seeing as how our school preached acceptance. Everyone has the right to their own religion; complaining about what a school based upon a specific religion does is the same as complaining about what a personal religion does, in my opinion. The posters stating negatives towards the Catholic system all seem to be non-religious. Just as they are non-religious and are open to criticize the Catholic school system, I can be faithful to my religion and complain about public schools and the ways in which they are run, yet I will be branded as a "bigot" or a "religious fanatic". The double standards are just ridiculous.

I've attended every type of secondary school: private, Catholic, and public. My time in Catholic school was amazing. Nothing but love for everyone, regardless of culture, sexual orientation, or religion . I'm not even Catholic and I can vouch for them. Not every Catholic is a bigot.

However, i don't agree with the schools being government funded whereas other religious schools are not. Either fund everyone, or no one.

micadjems says thanks to AelyaS for this post.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 01:17 AM   #23
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

As someone who's attended both, Catholic and Public schools, I can identify the key difference. It's nothing that can really be generalized, but while Public schools have what I'll refer to as a "true balance of students," Catholic schools have a mix of primarily two types: the "really well behaved kids" and "scum" whose parents hope the religious influence will put then on the straight and narrow. Unfortunately "scum" is grimey and unsightly, so the whole school looks bad by comparison. (In other words, one noisy and obnoxious kid can ruin a lesson for 30 kids)

As for religious bigotry, I've actually got nothing but good things to say about both types of education (I switched because of a racist teacher). Dunno if it's still the same, but in my day, the "religion" class only talked about Catholicism in grade 9. Grades 10-12/13/OAC discussed world religions and tolerance. (homosexuality wasn't such a hot topic back then, but they did discuss racism/ religious prejudice)

It was the Public board that actually seemed to have their fingers in their ears, ignoring the whole issue.

EDIT: as for funding, I remember a time when catholic schools weren't government funded. I believe the reason other schools (say Jewish) aren't funded is because they wish to be classed as Private so the government has absolutely no say in their curriculum. This is something I've definitely noticed has changed since 1999.

Also, one other thing I liked about the Catholic schools I've attended were their sense of charity. There was almost always some sort of donation drive going on, or volunteer trips to the good shepherd center. That's something I think the public schools could stand to do a bit more of. (I'm very big on community involvement)

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-08-2011 at 01:22 AM.

AelyaS, Biochem47, J. Dorey like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 01:19 AM   #24
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
I've attended every type of secondary school: private, Catholic, and public. My time in Catholic school was amazing. Nothing but love for everyone, regardless of culture, sexual orientation, or religion . I'm not even Catholic and I can vouch for them. Not every Catholic is a bigot.
I just think this "War on Religion" (whether it be Muslim, Christianity, etc.) mentality is just insane. Just as Muslims shouldn't be defined by terrorist organizations and things of the sorts because, from what study I have done of it (keep in mind, it is not extensive), it is a beautiful religion, Christianity shouldn't be defined by anti-gay fanatics. I am a Roman Catholic and I have been my whole life, but I don't see anything wrong with some of the issues that certain Christian sects do (esp. gay rights) and, accordingly, I don't want to be viewed as such. There are multiple sects of Christianity (Roman Catholic, Baptist, Mormon, etc.), so to brand one distinct section as a representation for all Christians is ludicrous because that is not what everyone believes (and, in most cases, not even what the majority believes). Yes, religion needs to adapt to changes in society, but please don't bash religious people based on their personal beliefs, considering they have the guaranteed right to religion. It's one thing to disagree, and you don't have to respect their opinion, but please don't bash them for having one.

Old 06-08-2011 at 01:29 AM   #25
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
I just think this "War on Religion" (whether it be Muslim, Christianity, etc.) mentality is just insane. Just as Muslims shouldn't be defined by terrorist organizations and things of the sorts because, from what study I have done of it (keep in mind, it is not extensive), it is a beautiful religion, Christianity shouldn't be defined by anti-gay fanatics. I am a Roman Catholic and I have been my whole life, but I don't see anything wrong with some of the issues that certain Christian sects do (esp. gay rights) and, accordingly, I don't want to be viewed as such. There are multiple sects of Christianity (Roman Catholic, Baptist, Mormon, etc.), so to brand one distinct section as a representation for all Christians is ludicrous because that is not what everyone believes (and, in most cases, not even what the majority believes). Yes, religion needs to adapt to changes in society, but please don't bash religious people based on their personal beliefs, considering they have the guaranteed right to religion. It's one thing to disagree, and you don't have to respect their opinion, but please don't bash them for having one.

preeeaaacccchhhhhhhhh h

It's sad that only the people that bring negative attention to religion are the ones that get the spotlight.

J. Dorey, Mowicz like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 02:23 AM   #26
W. Steinitz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
preeeaaacccchhhhhhhhh h

It's sad that only the people that bring negative attention to religion are the ones that get the spotlight.
Very true. Just last week I was reading an article someone sent me. It was about how there is "a lot" of catholic priests that turn out to be pedophiles, and somehow get forgiven by the church without doing any jail time.

Last edited by W. Steinitz : 06-08-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2011 at 12:09 PM   #27
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Nah, I attended Catholic schools.
Yes, there are slutty girls, but there are slutty girls in public schools as well.

And I find it hilarious how you think sports teams being funded by taxes = good sports teams. What a joke.

I actually went to an all-girls Catholic school at one point (by choice too! what a schocker). I suppose this makes me a big raging lesbian

Also, Catholic school girls only come off as "sluttier" because the uniforms are meant to portray a laidback, demure image (for girls and boys, mind you) so whenever they do something as radical as look a boy in the eye, they're harlots.

If we're looking at strictly dressing, public school is 20x worse, to the point where teachers are visibly uncomfortable but can't say anything.

Cliu91, KN1991 like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 12:12 PM   #28
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Steinitz View Post
Very true. Just last week I was reading an article someone sent me. It was about how there is "a lot" of catholic priests that turn out to be pedophiles, and somehow get forgiven by the church without doing any jail time.

Wow, "a lot"? That's a shame, but unsurprising. Being Muslim, I feel for the other priests who have to deal with the stigma of their position because many people have a preconceived notion of who they are based on like, 5 people
Old 06-08-2011 at 12:19 PM   #29
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I don't think that my argument is being taken correctly here... although I am completely nonreligious and do not agree with religion, you most definitely have a right to believe whatever you want -- as do I. I do not mean to attack religion as a whole (I'll save that for another thread), but I mean to attack these SPECIFIC bigots who will not allow a GSA in their schools simply because it is against their teachings. (Teachers, bishops, the board, the parents...)

Yes, there were nice teachers (there were also crazy religious fanatical ones... at least in mine... and ones who became such when they were emotional/angry!), yes we were taught well, awesome. But THIS cannot be allowed in our society!!!

And as much as you may have had a happy ol' time at your school, EVERY school has bullying issues, whether you'll admit them or not. You may have simply not noticed because you were not a targeted person (like me!)

Quote:
The posters stating negatives towards the Catholic system all seem to be non-religious. Just as they are non-religious and are open to criticize the Catholic school system, I can be faithful to my religion and complain about public schools and the ways in which they are run, yet I will be branded as a "bigot" or a "religious fanatic". The double standards are just ridiculous.
Can't you be faithful to your religion and complain about Catholic schools, too? Again, I think you are missing the point. If you say, for example, because of lack of uniform, public school kids are less regimented and regulated, I might agree with you! But if you rave about how gays can run free there or something and how awful that is, THEN I would call you a bigot.

AelyaS likes this.