MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volunteers Needed - Tutors - Catholic Children's Aid Society mdeccas Volunteering Opportunities 0 06-07-2011 10:32 AM
DC++ Banned faytless General Discussion 22 09-13-2009 11:37 AM
DC++ falsely banned muffinccc General Discussion 6 09-11-2009 12:15 AM

Rainbows banned at Mississauga Catholic school

Old 06-08-2011 at 12:26 PM   #31
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

I think that it's pretty clear that we are heading in a direction that is pro equality. In 20 years I'm willing to bet that there is no way these institutions can bully kids into how to live their lives, let alone receive funding for it. I'm ok with religion, as long as it does not effect others in a negative way. I think everyone that is angered by this article can take solace that ultimately these institutions will not be able to keep up these inhumane practices.

micadjems likes this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 12:39 PM   #32
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

here's to the catholic church dying within my lifetime
Old 06-08-2011 at 12:45 PM   #33
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Well, if they want to ban rainbows, I suppose they're entitled to ban rainbows. Let's not prescribe morals.

("But religion is all about prescribing morals!" isn't a very good counterpoint, by the way)

EDIT: This shouldn't be taken as support for their actions or ideas

Also, I went to a Catholic school (no, I'm not religious) and we didn't really learn much about Catholicism. We didn't really learn much in general, actually.

Last edited by Mahratta : 06-08-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2011 at 12:58 PM   #34
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Well, if they want to ban rainbows, I suppose they're entitled to ban rainbows.

But why do you suppose that? I think that's the heart of the problem! They're being paid by the public and they should serve the public.

I was talking to my (public school educated) boyfriend about this last night. While I was for de-funding the schools, it seems that this would cause a lot of problems, displacing students, teachers, etc.... It might be best to just change over these schools so that they are more like public schools with an OPTION of religion. They must have clubs that are also allowed by the public board (like GSAs), optional religion class, optional prayer, optional services....

It sounds like it might be difficult, especially among the crazy religious teachers (there's always a few!) but that might be the best way to make this work....

AelyaS, Icecream, W. Steinitz like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 01:48 PM   #35
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
But why do you suppose that? I think that's the heart of the problem! They're being paid by the public and they should serve the public.
You're right. I forgot that Catholic schools were publicly funded.

Old 06-08-2011 at 02:12 PM   #36
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
I actually went to an all-girls Catholic school at one point (by choice too! what a schocker). I suppose this makes me a big raging lesbian

Also, Catholic school girls only come off as "sluttier" because the uniforms are meant to portray a laidback, demure image (for girls and boys, mind you) so whenever they do something as radical as look a boy in the eye, they're harlots.

If we're looking at strictly dressing, public school is 20x worse, to the point where teachers are visibly uncomfortable but can't say anything.
Agree completely.
Though I will say some girl have had their skirts really short, but I guess that's why skirts were banned 2 years ago at mine. But hey, I wasn't complaining.

Oh, and raging lesbian comment made me lol.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 03:14 PM   #37
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

First off, this article made me laugh. It's simply the most ridiculous thing I have ever ever seen.

In terms of Catholic schools, I had a few friends who went there. They said it sucked, but they were 0% sluts. Sure they were there, but seems more like a stereotype in my experience... I despise that they exist, however, and education and religion should have the same level of separation as government and religion. Religion is something that should be kept in mosques, churches, temples, whatever building you pray to whatever "god" you believe in, and the home. Not in school. I went to a religiously affiliated school, and it drove me nuts.

The one thing that comforts me about stories like these is a quote from the great black man in Harold and Kumar:

"I find that the Universe tends to work out like it should."

This'll last five years tops.

micadjems says thanks to Willmountain for this post.
Old 06-08-2011 at 04:02 PM   #38
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Waa the link doesn't work for me
Old 06-08-2011 at 04:48 PM   #39
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

I went to Catholic school from JK-Grade 12. I would not have had it any other way. I really dislike all the hate by the nonreligious people on religion (any religion, be it mine or another). It's rather inappropriate. I don't hate on you for not believing, so don't hate on me...

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 04:59 PM   #40
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
I went to Catholic school from JK-Grade 12. I would not have had it any other way. I really dislike all the hate by the nonreligious people on religion (any religion, be it mine or another). It's rather inappropriate. I don't hate on you for not believing, so don't hate on me...
There really isn't that much anti-religion hatred going on in this thread.

And I'm sure you don't like people discriminating against your church, much like the GBLT groups don't want the church to discriminate against them; see the hypocrisy?

micadjems says thanks to Rudiger for this post.

Mahratta, micadjems like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 06:44 PM   #41
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
I don't see any 'hate' here. The school's action was explicitly discriminatory. Public money shouldn't be funding discrimination.

micadjems says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:20 PM   #42
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Discriminating people against their religion sucks.
Discriminating people against their sexuality sucks.

End. of.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

AelyaS, J. Dorey like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:41 PM   #43
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

This 'banning rainbows' thing isn't new. I went to a Catholic school (Halton Catholic board, that banned GSAs), and was told by my gr12 religion teacher that he wanted to post one of those small little window decor thingies of a pride flag on his door, to show acceptance/safe space. He wasn't allowed to. He did, however, allow me to do my culminating project on how people twist Catholicism into something that means homosexuality/being gay is a terrible thing. The background slide on each and every one of my powerpoints was an effing rainbow.
Let's just hope that banning rainbows and GSAs doesn't lead to more people like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW4Ym9IS7Ks

dsahota says thanks to nerual for this post.

AelyaS, dsahota, L'Étoile like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 08:09 PM   #44
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Ah yes, i heard about this story when the GSA was banned at St Jo's. Made headlines. TBH, nothing i didn't expect. The government is slow to change rules and regulations, but do you know who's slower? The church. And together they are abysmally snail-crawling to a progressive society, so really this article shouldn't surprise anyone.

I've always thought it was grotesque that catholic and public schools alike are publicly funded (AND catholic schools receive money from religious organizations) but well, as others have mentioned, nothing gets done in ontario. So expect this for a while.

Glad i'm in a public high school that has an operating GSA, i'm sure it has helped enrich the lives of many.
Old 06-08-2011 at 08:13 PM   #45
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
The government is slow to change rules and regulations, but do you know who's slower? The church. And together they are abysmally snail-crawling to a progressive society, so really this article shouldn't surprise anyone.

I've always thought it was grotesque that catholic and public schools alike are publicly funded (AND catholic schools receive money from religious organizations) but well, as others have mentioned, nothing gets done in ontario. So expect this for a while.

Glad i'm in a public high school that has an operating GSA, i'm sure it has helped enrich the lives of many.
I don't think there's a singular church who controls what catholic schools do. It's the government who's behind this with the majority of voters (who are mostly 50+ years old) backing it in votes.