MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TWO Concerts Coming Up! (one is free!) msuevents MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-16-2010 12:19 AM
Welcome Week Concerts 2009 Gibson General Discussion 144 08-21-2009 11:34 AM
Summer Concerts sinthusized General Discussion 34 06-04-2009 02:18 PM
welcome week concerts evansj6 General Discussion 31 08-13-2008 08:33 PM

Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B Concerts?!?

Old 08-25-2010 at 02:47 PM   #1
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B Concerts?!?
I notice that almost all of the MSU concerts during the welcome week are either of rock or punk genre. Why aren't there any rap concerts? Even last year they excluded Rap/Hip-Hop. I think there should be a variety so that everyone can enjoy.
Old 08-25-2010 at 02:53 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
I notice that almost all of the MSU concerts during the welcome week are either of rock or punk genre. Why aren't there any rap concerts? Even last year they excluded Rap/Hip-Hop. I think there should be a variety so that everyone can enjoy.
Most rappers are American and most can't enter Canada. There aren't many Canadian Rappers and getting hold of one is a lot harder. That's what I think anyways.
Old 08-25-2010 at 03:01 PM   #3
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Most rappers are American and most can't enter Canada. There aren't many Canadian Rappers and getting hold of one is a lot harder. That's what I think anyways.
There many underground rappers in Toronto & Hamilton area. Ofcourse, Jay-Z and other mainstream rappers are not gonna come to McMaster now. And I don't understand what you mean by most can't enter Canada lol.
Old 08-25-2010 at 03:04 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
There many underground rappers in Toronto & Hamilton area. Ofcourse, Jay-Z and other mainstream rappers are not gonna come to McMaster now. And I don't understand what you mean by most can't enter Canada lol.
They have criminal records so it's hard for them to get visas. There were multiple times when scheduled concerts were cancelled because rappers couldn't get into the country.

Campus events have to know about the rappers though and they probably want artists that are semi-famous. If no one knows about the artist then they are less inclined to attend the concert.
Old 08-25-2010 at 03:15 PM   #5
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
They have criminal records so it's hard for them to get visas. There were multiple times when scheduled concerts were cancelled because rappers couldn't get into the country.

Campus events have to know about the rappers though and they probably want artists that are semi-famous. If no one knows about the artist then they are less inclined to attend the concert.
I would disagree with your criminal record stance, It sounds more like a stereotype that you're referring to. We don't even need to bring rappers from the USA first of all. Theres Belly, Cadence weapon, K'naan, buck 65, etc. semi-famous rappers in Canada that need a stage.
Old 08-25-2010 at 03:22 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I would disagree with your criminal record stance, It sounds more like a stereotype that you're referring to. We don't even need to bring rappers from the USA first of all. Theres Belly, Cadence weapon, K'naan, buck 65, etc. semi-famous rappers in Canada that need a stage.
I don't know, I recall two concerts being cancelled one year when I was younger. But I haven't followed up on rap concerts since then. I know Lil Wayne came once I think 1-2 years ago though. Things have probably changed since then I guess.

I haven't heard of most of those rappers. I'm surprised K'naan needs a stage, I wouldn't consider him a semi-famous rapper either. But next year you should talk with Campus Events and get your friends who want rappers as well to talk with Campus Events. The more people the better.
Old 08-25-2010 at 03:31 PM   #7
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't know, I recall two concerts being cancelled one year when I was younger. But I haven't followed up on rap concerts since then. I know Lil Wayne came once I think 1-2 years ago though. Things have probably changed since then I guess.

I haven't heard of most of those rappers. I'm surprised K'naan needs a stage, I wouldn't consider him a semi-famous rapper either. But next year you should talk with Campus Events and get your friends who want rappers as well to talk with Campus Events. The more people the better.
Yea sounds like a good idea. lol in terms of K'naan, I meant in comparison to Drake and Kardinall.
Old 08-25-2010 at 03:38 PM   #8
Danno

Liked: 0 Times

Has anyone heard of Classfied? He's Canadian and pretty good too.
Old 08-25-2010 at 03:51 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Has anyone heard of Classfied? He's Canadian and pretty good too.
Hes been at McMaster before, not sure if hes here this year.
Old 08-25-2010 at 05:14 PM   #10
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Most rappers are American and most can't enter Canada.
lol

The concerts and performers chosen for welcome week directly reflect the music tastes of the individuals who plan the events. Don't expect much variety.

Last edited by ViktorVaughn : 08-25-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2010 at 06:00 PM   #11
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
lol

The concerts and performers chosen for welcome week directly reflect the music tastes of the individuals who plan the events. Don't expect much variety.
sadly :(
Old 08-25-2010 at 06:50 PM   #12
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQmtldMhkCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btgft...eature=related

i would love to see the airplane boys. for the love of god please hook it up one year.
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:53 PM   #13
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

we went to the same highschool
Old 08-25-2010 at 09:25 PM   #14
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

me? npc?
Old 08-25-2010 at 09:29 PM   #15
giftedchick
Elite Member