MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TWO Concerts Coming Up! (one is free!) msuevents MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-16-2010 12:19 AM
Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B Concerts?!? mcmastergcdb Music 25 08-26-2010 09:59 PM
Welcome Week Concerts 2009 Gibson General Discussion 144 08-21-2009 11:34 AM
Summer Concerts sinthusized General Discussion 34 06-04-2009 02:18 PM

welcome week concerts

Old 08-09-2008 at 01:34 PM   #1
evansj6

Liked: 0 Times

welcome week concerts
Does anyone know who is playing in the concerts during welcome week yet?
Old 08-09-2008 at 01:36 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Nope, not yet...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-09-2008 at 01:43 PM   #3
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

You guys know!!! you're just not saying anything yet! whatever, it's not that big of a deal, we'll find out soon enough... but it's nice to have something to brag about to our friends from other universities!
Old 08-09-2008 at 03:14 PM   #4
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

lol. which reminds me, what is up with all the universities hating on western? lmao. im kinda new to canada so i dont really know.
coz my friend's going to western and she said that queen's has shirts that say, wuck festern. and mac has shirts that say, we dont let our friend's go to western.
lol its kinda funny, but why? hahah
Old 08-09-2008 at 03:40 PM   #5
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya017 View Post
lol. which reminds me, what is up with all the universities hating on western? lmao. im kinda new to canada so i dont really know.
coz my friend's going to western and she said that queen's has shirts that say, wuck festern. and mac has shirts that say, we dont let our friend's go to western.
lol its kinda funny, but why? hahah
oh gosh. i also share this hate for western. haha. its cause everyone there is pretentious and snobby. but its a good thing, because all the snobs in my school went there.. but they think they are better than us. (whatever.. psssh. <.<)

its harder for people to fit in there unless you're white, rich, fashionable and preppy. can you say cliquey? its also the only school that i know that rejects students based on their international status.. thats my main beef with them.. grrr. i went to a freaking ontario secondary school for all 4 years.. graduated with a 90%+ average.. but nooo... they rejected my application because im not canadian.. and honestly.. who the hell limits international applicants to NURSING programs?? there is a shortage of nurses in canada! grrr.

all in all.. i agree with the queens shirts.. wuck festern.

p.s. random observation.. western students will not drink no name or presidents choice orange juice.

p.s.s. the whole beginning part of this rant may be a huge generalization, but for the most part through my observations, its true.

p.s.s.s. where i can get one of these shirts?

Last edited by dvy88 : 08-09-2008 at 05:33 PM.

katie_batt likes this.
Old 08-09-2008 at 06:27 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Titles sells shirts that say Friends Don't Let Friends Go To Western from time to time.

Also, read this blog: http://overheardatwestern.bl ogspot.com/. It's HILARIOUS.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-09-2008 at 07:02 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvy88 View Post
oh gosh. i also share this hate for western. haha. its cause everyone there is pretentious and snobby. but its a good thing, because all the snobs in my school went there.. but they think they are better than us. (whatever.. psssh. <.<)

its harder for people to fit in there unless you're white, rich, fashionable and preppy. can you say cliquey? its also the only school that i know that rejects students based on their international status.. thats my main beef with them.. grrr. i went to a freaking ontario secondary school for all 4 years.. graduated with a 90%+ average.. but nooo... they rejected my application because im not canadian.. and honestly.. who the hell limits international applicants to NURSING programs?? there is a shortage of nurses in canada! grrr.

all in all.. i agree with the queens shirts.. wuck festern.

p.s. random observation.. western students will not drink no name or presidents choice orange juice.

p.s.s. the whole beginning part of this rant may be a huge generalization, but for the most part through my observations, its true.

p.s.s.s. where i can get one of these shirts?
Wow, I knew about the snobby white rich kid part, but not about the rejecting international students part. Man that's ridiculous. Well, Western is just a party school. =D

I'd also like one of these shirts.

Oh, and... I hope there are some nice bands coming to perform at Welcome Week. =)
Old 08-09-2008 at 07:13 PM   #8
davey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Also, read this blog: http://overheardatwestern.bl ogspot.com/. It's HILARIOUS.

Quote:
Girl #1: Hey Easter is coming up!
Girl #2: Wait... do you eat bunnies on Easter?
Girl #1: Ewwwwww! We're not ****ing cannibals!

-- On the bus, overheard by Caphan
LOL! xD
Old 08-09-2008 at 07:24 PM   #9
neff

Liked: 0 Times

when i was at the mission to mac presentation in kingston they said that tokyo police club and alexisonfire where playing, and then in the maccess granted booklet it says that dragonnet and thunderhiest are playing for the social sci faculty
Old 08-09-2008 at 07:30 PM   #10
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I did my undergrad at Mac and then teacher's college at Western. As such, I was somewhat insulated from the stereotypical undergrad stupidity that everyone associates with Western, but I saw enough of it to know that a lot of it is true. It does tend to attract the wealthy socialite set, and it's incredibly non-diverse compared to Mac. My theory is that the fact that it's known as a "party school" is a self-fulfilling prophecy - applicants hear that it's the place to go if you want to party, so they get there and do just that.....and voila, party school :p

Oh, and Overheard at Western had me in hysterics pretty much every time they updated. My own (only mildly funny, but illustrative) Overheard moment was when I was walking in front of their student centre and I heard two stereotypical-looking "Western girls" talking about upcoming exams. One of them said to the other, "My daddy said that if I get a B in the course he'll buy me another car." I really wish I was making that up.
Old 08-09-2008 at 07:34 PM   #11
davey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippi View Post
two stereotypical-looking "Western girls"
ahahahaha.
Old 08-09-2008 at 07:36 PM   #12
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

You know, it sounds bad and maybe even a little sexist, but if you ever went there, you'd know exactly what I meant :p
Old 08-09-2008 at 08:17 PM   #13
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by evansj6 View Post
Does anyone know who is playing in the concerts during welcome week yet?
Yup! But I don't want to be the one to tell officially because they were hesitant on telling IRC and residence staff.
Old 08-09-2008 at 08:35 PM   #14
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Ohh Western. I'd say 80% of the people from my town of Oakville go to Western, McMaster or Dalhousie. Oakvile is a town which is usually known to be the most affluent or 2nd most affluent town in Canada, where if your neighbour doesn't have a a Lexus, they probobly have a BMW. LOL. Anyways, the stereotypes of Oakville residents is probobly up to par with the stereotypes of Western students - snobby, rich children who are only going to university because their parents are making them. That's not to say that smart people don't go to Western, because they do, it's not a bad school..,,

Old 08-09-2008 at 09:42 PM   #15
stevenback7

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Oh, that is the best site I've seen all day. Thanks for that!!

Yeah, Western dosn't look like a bad school to me, I guess it all depends on who you talk too and hang around with. I guess coming from the country you don't label someone as being a snobby white rich kid based on if they drive a Lexus, it's more or less what kind of tractor they own.