MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hows my mock timetable? winter02 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-31-2011 07:25 PM
How does my mock timetable look?? chelseac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-30-2011 08:15 PM
My Mock Timetable vs. Assigned Timetable Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2010 01:57 PM
Mock Timetable vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 06-24-2010 10:10 AM
Another mock timetable... oranges First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-07-2010 02:44 PM

Rate My Mock Timetable?

Old 06-14-2012 at 05:18 PM   #1
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Rate My Mock Timetable?
Hello everyone. I'll be entering Mac for Life Sciences I this September (and plan on Honours Biochem, Biomed Specialization for second year). Can some people please have a look and tell me what they think? Any opinions and advice are appreciated. Thank you very much!

(Also, enviro sci is iffy right now. I'm not sure if I should keep it or replace it with Music 1GB3...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McMaster First Year Mock Timetable.JPG (157.0 KB, 275 views)
Old 06-14-2012 at 05:21 PM   #2
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times

I would avoid putting more than 2 classes back to back without some break. With 3+ classes back to back, you will loose focus/get hungry...it is very draining.
Old 06-14-2012 at 05:27 PM   #3
Jaff24

Liked: 11 Times

5/10, would not bang

qwerty!, RememberTwce like this.
Old 06-14-2012 at 06:13 PM   #4
macu

Liked: 0 Times

I wouldn't make my schedule around having a day off - those days can go to waste if you get used to having all day off. This might be different though. In my first year, I had Friday off in 2nd semester and I felt drained for my Wed and Thursdays in the first week, so I switched my classes around after a week!
Lastly, I took Math 1A03 when I had Phys 1B03, and I found them very complementary and thought Math 1A03 was definitely very helpful for doing well in physics classes.
Old 06-14-2012 at 06:40 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Like it was said, having 4-5 hours straight of class can be tiring, might be better to spread them out a bit. Also, for Chem 1A03/1AA3, your tutorials will be in the same timeslot as your labs, just on alternating weeks. Not that it really matters, since tutorials aren't mandatory, but FYI.
Old 06-14-2012 at 06:47 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macu View Post
I wouldn't make my schedule around having a day off - those days can go to waste if you get used to having all day off. This might be different though. In my first year, I had Friday off in 2nd semester and I felt drained for my Wed and Thursdays in the first week, so I switched my classes around after a week!
Lastly, I took Math 1A03 when I had Phys 1B03, and I found them very complementary and thought Math 1A03 was definitely very helpful for doing well in physics classes.
Also, the OP could easily end up with the chem lab on Tuesday or something and there goes the day off
It's highly unlikely the final timetable will look like this. A section that you want will be full. And so you'll be in a section that conflicts with another section that you want which means that has to move which means something else has to move to accommodate
Old 06-14-2012 at 09:17 PM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

It looks pretty colourful.
A schedule is a schedule is a schedule. You'll sometimes get bad timetables, sometimes they'll be good. Suck it up and go to class.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Phantom likes this.
Old 06-14-2012 at 11:02 PM   #8
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Thanks for the replies, everyone. The day off kind of just ... happened. To be honest I just clicked a random core/lab/tutorial and after 4 courses I found that Tuesday was still free.

I agree that all the classes consecutively will be insanely tiring. I played around a little and mostly it's either the classes consecutively or having 1 hour breaks after a lot of them. I'll keep messing around and maybe something better will pop up.

Also, I thought we were able to choose tutorials/labs in August? I guess that must be a lot harder than I thought. And I do plan on going to my classes regardless of whether the sched is good/bad, but I don't see what the harm is in trying to get the best timetable I can.
Old 06-14-2012 at 11:05 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. The day off kind of just ... happened. To be honest I just clicked a random core/lab/tutorial and after 4 courses I found that Tuesday was still free.

I agree that all the classes consecutively will be insanely tiring. I played around a little and mostly it's either the classes consecutively or having 1 hour breaks after a lot of them. I'll keep messing around and maybe something better will pop up.

Also, I thought we were able to choose tutorials/labs in August? I guess that must be a lot harder than I thought. And I do plan on going to my classes regardless of whether the sched is good/bad, but I don't see what the harm is in trying to get the best timetable I can.
You're able to switch in August. We usually say choose, but technically it's switching. The system will generate a timetable for you, automatically putting people in sections to minimize the number of conflicts, and then SOLAR reopens and you can switch things around to your liking. Problem is, a lot of the popular sections get full...so if a good prof is teaching a certain section, or there are two sections and one is 8:30 the other is 11:30, you'll have a hard time trying to get into the more popular section. Especially for lab slots.
Old 06-14-2012 at 11:08 PM   #10
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

I like the lack of early mornings! But keep in mind that you will be put in cores and tutorials so your timetable may look pretty different and you might not be able to change things around if things are full, don't stress too much about it.

I personally like having 3 classes in a row as opposed to have one hour breaks in between because those hours go to waste since there's not much you can do in that time!
Old 06-14-2012 at 11:09 PM   #11
Twinkle
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

You will die dude. You got a lot of useless breaks. You lose mornings and a whole day in the second term, and by the time of the last class you will be sleeping.
Old 06-14-2012 at 11:10 PM   #12
Unknown111

Liked: 2 Times

Typical of a first year life sci. You have a few very light and easy classes...envirosci, math 1ls3, bio1m03.

9/10
Old 06-14-2012 at 11:41 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
Like it was said, having 4-5 hours straight of class can be tiring, might be better to spread them out a bit. Also, for Chem 1A03/1AA3, your tutorials will be in the same timeslot as your labs, just on alternating weeks. Not that it really matters, since tutorials aren't mandatory, but FYI.
4-5 hours is nothing. It can be boring if it's only lecture, but nothing overwhelming, especially in first year. OP, your first term is nice except for the late friday class. 2nd term is also solid except for the 2 hour breaks. if you can motivate yourself to study in those breaks, you will make great leaps.
Old 06-15-2012 at 12:09 AM   #14
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

bro spread those classes man, having so many classes long hours back to back isn't good for you!
Old 06-15-2012 at 12:21 AM   #15
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

There's nothing you can do about long stacked classes back to back with that many. If anything put them all back to back so you don't get useless 1 hour breaks. That's my input. Also few morning classes are good