MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IRC Yearbook ferreinm Residence & Housing 0 10-09-2009 02:35 AM
Graduation Photos + Marmor - What Do I Do? temara.brown ARCHIVES 9 11-09-2008 07:17 PM
IRC Yearbook Editor Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-25-2008 11:42 PM
2006-2007 Residence Yearbook Pick-Up Info! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-07-2008 06:24 AM

Really bummed out about MARMOR 2008 Yearbook....not included

Old 08-14-2009 at 03:40 PM   #1
starz22

Liked: 0 Times

Really bummed out about MARMOR 2008 Yearbook....not included
Hi there,

I received my MARMOR 2008 Yearbook from McMaster this morning in the mail...I went through it and didnt see my picture nor my name and I graduated in April 2008 out of Commerce. I had my grad picture taken it (I even have the poster and it has me in it) but the MARMOR 2008 Yearbook didnt include me (not my picture nor my name) in the list of graduates. So I've been feeling extremely pissed given that I forked over $30k for my undergrad to McMaster. So I drove down to Mac, went to the MSU Room (2nd floor in MUSC) and spoke with the girl at the front desk and the editor - they say that they get names from the database of listing of graduates and to visit the Registrar's office - I go to the Registrar's office, they ask me for ID, I provide it, they verify that I was a graduate in April 2008 (they even asked me if I took any summer courses after that and I told them NO...I completed my degree in April 2008), they provided me with documentation proving this and told me to go to the Degroote School of Business...I went there and spoke with the girl at the front desk who said that she spoke with the counsellor and they say that its the Degroote Commerce Society (DCS) who submits the name. So I want to know why my name or picture was not included. So I havent been really happy. What can I do? There was no one at the DCS office and the guy part of MARS gave me the email address of the current DCS president - but I want a formal apology from Paul Bates (the Degroote School of Business dean) - you know how it is when everyone's names/pictures are included in your graduating year except your own. It makes you feel like sh*it.

I haven't been happy with the DeGroote School of Business throughout the 4 years that I spent - but I have to admit that they really ticked me off with this tactic. I guess next time I receive that "Donation to McMaster" phone call, I will give them a piece of their minds.
Old 08-14-2009 at 03:51 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

That's really unfortunate and I'm sorry that happened.. I was one of the editors on that book. We got the lists/photos from an outside source. When we get the lists of graduates, we then go through our database of lifetouch photos and punch in all the correct information for the book.. This makes sure that we aren't publishing photos of people who didn't actually graduate or were community members or something. If your name wasn't on the list, then your photo wouldn't be put in.. There must have been something up with the list. Hopefully there weren't any more list fails.

I hope you enjoyed the book otherwise.. I haven't even seen the finished result yet!

Also.. that's really weird why they'd refer you to the commerce society...
Old 08-14-2009 at 04:46 PM   #3
starz22

Liked: 0 Times

Hi Tamara,

Can you please PM me the outside source which provided this list? I'd like to contact them to ask them why my name wasn't in the database? And I hope I dont get a BS excuse. I will definitely seek a written apology from the DeGroote School of Business higher-ups if I dont receive a valid reason as to why this happened. The worst thing now is going back 10 years to this yearbook and not seeing myself in it. Weird that they'd send me the yearbook in the mail but not include me in it. If all else fails, then I will definitely take my case to the Silhouette.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2009 at 05:07 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

You've been pm'd all the details!
Old 08-14-2009 at 05:45 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Hey starz22...

I just got my Marmor 2008 too. Would you like me to manually add your name to the Commerce page in my copy?

It's not much, but I can only imagine what that's like... I'm upset that there are people who are missing too.

And unfortunately, as I'm sure you realize, it'd be near impossible to completely remedy. ):

----------------

To Temara: Do you know if the photos taken (of say, campus) are from last year or the year before, or both? My only cameo in the book is on page 300...some of my random math scribblings adorned Hamilton Hall, haha. But I swear this was from last year (meaning most of the people who graduate in the book weren't even around at the time), when I took complex analysis, and not the year before.

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-14-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2009 at 06:05 PM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

lol I can manually add you into my copy too =)