Recent MSU Job Postings Chad MacInsiders Announcements 16 07-22-2008 01:12 AM
Recent MSU Job Postings Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-22-2008 12:45 AM

Recent housing scams?

Old 07-20-2011 at 11:35 AM   #1
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Recent housing scams?
Sup. I found a house that sounds almost too good to be true. $415 for everything included (utilities, water, internet and cable), and about 250m away from McMaster. I've been to the house but I haven't met the landlord once. He wants me to transfer $700 (part of August+one month) to his TD account.

Am I being paranoid or are my suspicions founded? Has anyone heard of any cons like this happening?
Old 07-20-2011 at 11:40 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
Sup. I found a house that sounds almost too good to be true. $415 for everything included (utilities, water, internet and cable), and about 250m away from McMaster. I've been to the house but I haven't met the landlord once. He wants me to transfer $700 (part of August+one month) to his TD account.

Am I being paranoid or are my suspicions founded? Has anyone heard of any cons like this happening?
Have you already read and signed the lease?

Freija says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 11:40 AM   #3
lux

Liked: 318 Times

$415 utilities is a stretch but it is possible. However I would strongly reccommend that you do everything to ensure that this is legit. I would say to MEET this person first (you will have to if you're going to sign a lease) and give him a cheque at that time. Can never bee too careful with these things.

Freija says thanks to lux for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 11:58 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Don't give monies till you've signed a legitimate lease? Right?

Freija says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:16 PM   #5
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

I asked him if I could pay him in cash and sign the lease; which he agreed to. He doesn't want a cheque due to bouncing. He previously asked that I e-interac him the money, and then print out a copy of the lease he sent me, sign it, and scan it back to him so he can counter-sign and resend back to me. He also wants a copy of my driver's license, Social Insurance Number, and Mac Card to apparently check if I have a criminal record =\
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:19 PM   #6
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
I asked him if I could pay him in cash and sign the lease; which he agreed to. He doesn't want a cheque due to bouncing. He previously asked that I e-interac him the money, and then print out a copy of the lease he sent me, sign it, and scan it back to him so he can counter-sign and resend back to me. He also wants a copy of my driver's license, Social Insurance Number, and Mac Card to apparently check if I have a criminal record =\
Don't do it. It's definitely a scam. No landlord would ever ask for that kind of information.

To be absolutely sure it's legitimate, meet him first and decline all of the information he requests from you. He does not need it.

Freija says thanks to Bhaltair for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:35 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

idk some landlords have been scamming. my friend signed a lease (with 1-2 people) AND paid the deposit which means spot is guaranteed. llandlord ended up rejecting it for another group with more ppl. dont know what happened to friend but he went to the housing committee at mac to go complain since he did pay and sign a lease

Freija says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:35 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Only give your SIN to the govn't, your employer, or bank/student loans places.. never some random person you're renting from.. I can't really see why not the driver's license, but like that guy said, its not necessary.

Freija says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:37 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

He may be paranoid or it might be the first time he's giving his house away on rent. He doesn't need your SIN card for sure though.

Freija says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:42 PM   #10
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

My landlord only asked for last month's rent at the time we signed the contract....thats all he asked for.....after that he was just like make sure you send your rent cheque (or cash) before the first of every month....This guy seems extremely sketchy imo.

Freija says thanks to Mohit for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:46 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohit View Post
My landlord only asked for last month's rent at the time we signed the contract....thats all he asked for.....after that he was just like make sure you send your rent cheque (or cash) before the first of every month....This guy seems extremely sketchy imo.
Seems legit in my opinion.

The deposit is the last month's rent in your case. In the Act it actually says that the landlord is not allowed to ask for post dated cheques, so it's probably why he isn't asking.

Freija says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:46 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

I wouldn't deal with this person any further, there are several other places available for rent but it won't be that cheap including all utilities but it's better than getting scammed.

Freija says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 01:30 PM   #13
cupcake

Liked: 0 Times

It sounds sketchy if he's asking for your SIN number. But call the off campus resource center if your unsure. (905) 525 9140 extension 24086

Freija says thanks to cupcake for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 01:33 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohit View Post
That doesn't seem sketchy at all in my opinion. That's pretty standard to have last month's rent and to have the rent asap.

Freija says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:00 PM   #15
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That doesn't seem sketchy at all in my opinion. That's pretty standard to have last month's rent and to have the rent asap.
I think they meant that the OP's landlord was sketchy...

and plus you have to get a criminal record check. No one else can do it for you I believe.

Freija, Mohit all say thanks to GCSM for this post.