MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recent Study - Beautiful women can actually be bad for a man’s health darklink121 Dating & Relationships 13 05-10-2010 12:50 AM
Help from Science Grads manu Academics 9 02-03-2010 07:24 PM
Recent Faculty Award-Winners saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-18-2009 08:16 AM
Recent MSU Job Postings Chad MacInsiders Announcements 16 07-22-2008 01:12 AM
Recent MSU Job Postings Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-22-2008 12:45 AM

Recent Grads

Old 02-08-2010 at 09:50 PM   #1
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Recent Grads
Im just curious if there are any recent grads on macinsiders. What has been your experience with finding employment in the last 2 years. If you can please list your major, and share your experiences. Thanks!

danallan says thanks to jo87 for this post.
Old 02-08-2010 at 10:02 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I graduated in '08 but am doing a second degree...so I'm not of all that much help to anyone...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-08-2010 at 10:25 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Lots and lots and LOTS of people are going back to school ater graduating (second degree, Masters, etc.) because finding a job is hard right now.
Old 02-08-2010 at 10:26 PM   #4
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

I'm not technically a recent grad, as I don't graduate until April. But I have a job lined up beginning in May. My major is Commerce (Accounting).

The job market HAS been difficult this year. Luckily I worked at an internship last year, and made enough of an impression that they were willing to bring me back on.
Old 02-08-2010 at 10:35 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Lots and lots and LOTS of people are going back to school ater graduating (second degree, Masters, etc.) because finding a job is hard right now.
Yup. I have read in a few places that post-grad degrees are't helpful in a lot of cases. For example, getting an MBA right after your Bachelors (i.e. programs like Mac that don't require much, if any full-time work experience: you will have acquired little-to-no working experience...so why would anyone hire you in a management role if you lack normal work experience?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-08-2010 at 10:40 PM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I did Science (physics + origins) but I want to come back to do a second degree in enviro sci. I took a year off in hopes of replenishing funds. I've had dick all luck in that department. I've been able to get a few meager tutoring positions and that's it. But, I've also been sick so I haven't been able to hit the job market that hard. I'm enrolled in two programs in the mean-time: a post-grad in events management and photography. They're not related to my uni studies but I like to think of it as a wee bit of a sabbatical
But yea: the job market definitely blows. /rant
Old 02-08-2010 at 10:47 PM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

did you guys plan on doing the second degree while you were in undergrad?
Old 02-08-2010 at 10:48 PM   #8
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Software Engineering & Management '09. Had a job lined up prior to graduation with a company I had done prior summer terms with. I chose to go more the business route (i.e. not engineering related work), but still find the technical skills very relevant and useful.

If it helps, I also managed to get 4 interviews in the Software Engineering field - some of which came after I accepted my current job and the others which didn't end up yielding a job. BUT ... people were looking.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-08-2010 at 10:59 PM   #9
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I'm in a little bit of a different boat in that I'm not a recent Mac grad... but a Sheridan College one - Mechanical Engineering, December 2008. It was right when the job market was tanked and I wasn't happy with the opportunities out there for a fresh-out-of-school Mechanical Engineering Technologist, even after one 1 year's worth of work experience.

I applied and got into B.Tech Degree Completion. I started in September '09 as a Level III and finish in 4 semesters with the end result being the existing Mechanical diploma, about two years' worth of work experience with co-op, and a B.Tech degree in Energy - which draws heavily on both Electrical and Mechanical. We cover a lot of material in Level III that Level IV B.Eng Electrical Engineers do.

It takes a while longer and is hella challenging considering I have zero Electrical background, but I can't complain.

Last edited by temptingf8 : 02-08-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2010 at 11:01 PM   #10
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I had no idea what I was going to do but I just went along for the ride assuming I'd figure it out along the way. I didn't start considering the second degree option until fourth year. I'm still not decided if I will come back for it. It's way too expensive. My two college programs, however, with the help of a bursary, have only cost me about $1000 for two semesters for both tuition and textbooks. The tuition is a lot cheaper but unfortunately the textbooks are not - yet they manage to be even more useless than in university. If anyone needs to know all about events in Australia, I've got you covered!
I'm really enjoying them so far because it's giving me a chance to study business/mgmt.

PS I do not recommend photography at conestoga. Just.. don't.

danallan says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 02-08-2010 at 11:02 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I did, yes. I needed more expertise in English to apply to grad schools, since Ontario's only straight cultural studies program is Mac

Old 02-08-2010 at 11:06 PM   #12
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
PS I do not recommend photography at conestoga. Just.. don't.
I wasn't aware that they had such a program... I'm an avid photographer myself. Hence my username *giggles*

(Much like nobody knows there was a Sheridan Engineering program)

temara.brown likes this.
Old 02-08-2010 at 11:14 PM   #13
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I wasn't aware that they had such a program... I'm an avid photographer myself. Hence my username *giggles*

(Much like nobody knows there was a Sheridan Engineering program)
Here's the description: http://www.conestogac.on.ca/ce/catlg...de=0960&v=0909

I really decided last minute to apply because it's located five minutes away from my house and I figured it'd probably be the only opportunity I'd have in the near future to be able to do it. If I had more options available, I would have gone to Sheridan. It's a full-time program over two-years but just seems to be better in every way. A lot of the other programs at other schools seem to be four-year programs and I was definitely not willing to do that. This one is part-time so you can still have a ft job (if you can find one) and get it done. My favourite part about this program is that, because of previous work experience, I can get out of a few of the courses (ie digital photography.. no way am I sitting through classes where you spend an hour teaching students how to use the clone-stamp tool..). Last semester was horrible though. I had learned nothing new, the marks for assignments were completely arbitrary, and he put stuff on the exam that he never taught us. I'm hoping that this semester makes it better.
Old 02-08-2010 at 11:28 PM   #14
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Yup. I have read in a few places that post-grad degrees are't helpful in a lot of cases. For example, getting an MBA right after your Bachelors (i.e. programs like Mac that don't require much, if any full-time work experience: you will have acquired little-to-no working experience...so why would anyone hire you in a management role if you lack normal work experience?
Isn't Mac's MBA program which you can enter straight after undergrad a co-op program? So you alternate school terms with work terms and gain work experience.
Old 02-08-2010 at 11:30 PM   #15
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Yeah. :( Just like Danielle, I graduated in 2008 (Honours Commerce) and am currently doing a second degree in Economics.

Last edited by KayakerDan : 02-08-2010 at 11:43 PM.