Recent MSU Job Postings Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-22-2008 12:45 AM

Recent housing scams?

Old 07-20-2011 at 02:02 PM   #16
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSM View Post
I think they meant that the OP's landlord was sketchy...

and plus you have to get a criminal record check. No one else can do it for you I believe.
Yeah he did, Sara and jhan misinterpreted his post.

Freija, Mohit all say thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:08 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSM View Post
I think they meant that the OP's landlord was sketchy...

and plus you have to get a criminal record check. No one else can do it for you I believe.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks .

Freija says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:19 PM   #18
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

If anything I plan to meet him in person on Friday to sign the lease and get the keys.
Does anyone have more information on getting a criminal record check? Can anyone confirm that there's no way (or perhaps right) for a landlord to get the criminal record check and it has to be me that gets it?
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:20 PM   #19
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

http://www.hamiltonpolice.on .ca/HP...dsSearch .htm

Quote:
Attend the Records Business Center at 155 King William Street in Hamilton, fill out the appropriate form, show acceptable identification and pay the applicable fee.

Freija says thanks to GCSM for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:22 PM   #20
Freija
Elite Member

Quote:
Due to a change in RCMP policy, effective December 5, 2010, we will no longer accept requests for police screening from persons residing outside the City of Hamilton. You must go to the police service that serves the municipality in which you permanently reside
I actually reside in Toronto.
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:23 PM   #21
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
I actually reside in Toronto.
I think its the same for all of Ontario.....

EDIT:
Toronto info. He still shouldn't need your SIN Number though, seems really sketchy.

http://www.torontopolice.on. ca/prcp/

Quote:
The Toronto Police Service (the “Service”) will carry out a Vulnerable Sector Screening Program – Police Reference Check about you when:
  1. the agency with whom you want to work or volunteer (if you are requesting a reference check through an agency) certifies to the Service that it:
    1. is only requesting the reference check for the purpose of assisting it to determine your suitability for employment and/or volunteer duties because you will have direct contact with children or vulnerable persons;
    2. will only ask for a police reference check to be done after it has completed an initial review of your suitability and has tentatively selected you for employment or a volunteer opportunity;
    3. understands its obligations under the Human Rights Code with respect to evaluating, hiring and training volunteers or employees and what constitutes a “bona fide” reason for refusing to hire any individual or volunteer; and
    4. has paid the necessary fee to the Service;
  2. you live in the City of Toronto; and
  3. you have signed a written authorization permitting a reference check about yourself to be conducted (called a “Consent to Disclosure” form).

Last edited by GCSM : 07-20-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Freija says thanks to GCSM for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:26 PM   #22
Freija
Elite Member

I've considered omitting my SIN card and just sending my driver's license and student card. I remember he only wanted these two when I was talking to him on the phone, and didn't mention this until he started emailing me.

What sort of dangerous shit can people do with my driver's license and mac id?
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:27 PM   #23
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

i think garrett is trying to show that YOU need to show id and all that..so the landlord wouldnt be able to go in and get a criminal record check because he cant show your ID cause hes not you :S ?
either way, it seems a little sketchy..

Freija says thanks to kirsten..! for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:31 PM   #24
Freija
Elite Member

Yeah, I understand that. I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the landlord (and also I like that house). Maybe he's the paranoid one?
Old 07-20-2011 at 03:00 PM   #25
anonanon987
Power Abuser

That's what I'm thinking. I think he is really paranoid about giving his house/apartment out on rent to a student. So he just wants some safety of some sort (I don't know how it is safety but to him it might be) by having all your information?

Freija says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 03:48 PM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:

What sort of dangerous shit can people do with my driver's license and mac id?
Like... become you.. and drive your car

I heard that's how the cylons clone your body these days.

Freija says thanks to RyanC for this post.

adaptation likes this.
Old 07-20-2011 at 05:09 PM   #27
TheAxtmann

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Seems legit in my opinion.

The deposit is the last month's rent in your case. In the Act it actually says that the landlord is not allowed to ask for post dated cheques, so it's probably why he isn't asking.
Actually, The Residential Tenancies Act only states that a landlord cannot require that a tennant pays by post-dated cheques. Your landlord can ask for post-dated cheques, but you can say no (just make sure you pay your rent on time )
Old 07-20-2011 at 06:29 PM   #28
Freija
Elite Member

BTW, I found this house on the Mac website. Does McMaster employ some sort of background check to prevent fraud?
Old 07-20-2011 at 06:50 PM   #29
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
BTW, I found this house on the Mac website. Does McMaster employ some sort of background check to prevent fraud?
Don't think so. They have that 'premium' that landlords can buy, which shows a logo beside their ad saying they can pretty much be trusted. But it's not mandatory.

sarahsullz says thanks to particle for this post.

Freija likes this.
Old 07-20-2011 at 07:39 PM   #30
anonanon987
Power Abuser

No they do not check any listings made on their website. It says somewhere on that particular website (off res housing).

Freija likes this.