MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
recommended computer programs? Danielle.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-16-2010 03:37 PM
Recommended Computer Software mellye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 07-27-2009 10:54 PM
physics recommended - do i still need it? magicalland Academics 4 06-17-2009 01:47 PM
Recommended Profs?? blackdragon Academics 4 06-15-2009 05:52 PM
Med School Interview Prep Help Chad Academics 0 01-29-2008 11:21 PM

Recommended Med School Prep?

Old 07-10-2009 at 09:05 AM   #1
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Recommended Med School Prep?
Hey guys! In a few years, I plan to win the lottery and get into Med school, hopefully at McMaster or Toronto.

So, I was wondering which Honours Program, from the ones below, you would recommend. If you have another idea, let me know. I realize I can apply with almost anything, but I want to have a degree in a relate field. I dislike Math and Physics and am hoping to get a minor in History.

Honours Biology
Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization)*
Honour Molecular Biology and Genetics

*Leaning towards this.
Old 07-10-2009 at 09:42 AM   #2
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

I would recommend you choose what you like! as you know you need a high gpa for med school admissions, which you can obtain relatively easily if you like what you are doing.
Old 07-10-2009 at 09:47 AM   #3
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Well if you want to do a minor, I'd suggest doing Honours Bio. Although not impossible, it'll be hard to do a minor with the specialzation programs because you have a limited number of electives with those. but if you really want the physiology specialzation, it's do-able.

Taunton likes this.
Old 07-10-2009 at 10:44 AM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Thanks for you help, guys.

For my minor, I would be willing to overload and go to school in the summer, if I needed.

Does anyone know where I can find the breakdown for each level? I've seen the one where level I and levels II to IV are given, but not individually. It would really help with strategizing.
Old 07-10-2009 at 10:55 AM   #5
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

A few years ago, they had it individually broken down by level, but many people found that they wanted to move courses around and take them earlier or later than planned out in the calendar.

It doesn't really matter when you take some courses; you just have to make sure you've fulfilled everything. Just a tip, generally, they want you to take your 2nd year courses 2nd year, 3rd year courses in 3rd year...well, obviously...that's why they're in their respective years. But from there, you'll see if you want to move a course to next year.

e.g. For Honours Bio, you have to take 9 units from Bio 2A03, 2B03, 2C03...etc. Plan to take them in 2nd year. But if you find your mandatory classes are taking up spaces where you want to take electives, move a less essential one to another year (e.g. 3rd year).

By the way, it's DEFINITELY possible to get a minor in the Physio specialization (easily), but you will get less "random" electives.

britb says thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 07-10-2009 at 11:05 AM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

I don't care too much about random electives - actually, I feel guilty taking English this year because it doesn't add to my major or minor. History's great - I won't be missing much as long as I take it. It makes up for lost English out of sheer awesomeness. XD.

Thanks for that - I guess I'll make my own calender and plan things from there.
Old 07-10-2009 at 11:32 AM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I'm in Life Science as well, but I recommend that you wait till you have to apply next year. Being at school, you'll be able to see others' first hand experience with the programs you're thinking of. Honours Bio vs. Physiology spec. etc. And since Med school requires that you have a high GPA, so the program you choose should be something you enjoy in order or you to get those grades.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:40 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Read this article and this article. It gives you all the info you need in terms of what program you should be in, what info they want into the interviews, volunteer involvement etc. It was written with help from a Mac Health Sci alumnus who went on to Med School at Western and is currently in their last year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-10-2009 at 12:53 PM   #9
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I don't care too much about random electives - actually, I feel guilty taking English this year because it doesn't add to my major or minor. History's great - I won't be missing much as long as I take it. It makes up for lost English out of sheer awesomeness. XD.

Thanks for that - I guess I'll make my own calender and plan things from there.
mmm I wouldn't say taking English is a complete waste. I believe it is a prereq for some med programs in the U.S., if you were considering that, and some grad school programs. Of course, you'd have to look into what you wanted to get into afterwards to know if you need it.

Besides, sometimes random electives add flavour to a science student's science-heavy course load. That was how it was for me anyway...just maybe not too random/useless.
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:35 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Nice articles. You guys are the best.

Don't worry, I won't make anything rash decisions and I'll wait to see how it all works out for me. I just like to plan.

I have the med school chart from OUAC (or whatever it's called for med school - I fotgot XD) and Ontario schools list "Humanties." I'll check again, but it looks like History will do it for me.

lorend likes this.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:10 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Read this article and this article. It gives you all the info you need in terms of what program you should be in, what info they want into the interviews, volunteer involvement etc. It was written with help from a Mac Health Sci alumnus who went on to Med School at Western and is currently in their last year.
Great links! Thanks Danielle. I second britb's comment. You guys are definitely the best =D

daisy, lorend like this.
Old 07-15-2009 at 10:10 AM   #12
sdiddy

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Nice articles. You guys are the best.

Don't worry, I won't make anything rash decisions and I'll wait to see how it all works out for me. I just like to plan.

I have the med school chart from OUAC (or whatever it's called for med school - I fotgot XD) and Ontario schools list "Humanties." I'll check again, but it looks like History will do it for me.
OMSAS
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:25 PM   #13
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Yeah history will do it. And again, do something you believe you will excel in, because it does come down to marks. (or at the least its a pretty important component) Also, you may want to consider taking courses that offer more lab / inquiry experience, as medical schools like that. I thik it woudl also be in your interest to make a few calls to the medicals schools you'd be interested in applying to come next march/april when you start applying for your second year programs. hope that helps!

Last edited by Mz.Morra13 : 07-15-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-16-2009 at 02:12 PM   #14
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Your best bet is Life Sci.
Old 07-16-2009 at 03:35 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Your best bet is Life Sci.
Yeah exactly.. since you'd have to like the Life Sci courses to like medicine to begin with.