MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
recommended computer programs? Danielle.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-16-2010 03:37 PM
Recommended Courses for the MCAT? pat2010 Academics 8 03-20-2010 01:13 PM
Physics Recommended problems pinkpiggydoe Academics 5 12-04-2009 04:08 PM
Recommended Med School Prep? britb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-16-2009 03:35 PM
Recommended Profs?? blackdragon Academics 4 06-15-2009 05:52 PM

physics recommended - do i still need it?

Old 06-16-2009 at 04:51 PM   #1
magicalland

Liked: Liked 2 Times

physics recommended - do i still need it?
Fro biotech and genetic eng. degree they say physics 1BB3 is recommendded. does that mean i should take it? becasue i really dont want to take it; i already took 1st physics so...what do you think?
Old 06-16-2009 at 05:19 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

If it is recommended then they probably have a reason for it. You may want to know some material taught in that course.

I took the course in 2nd term. There was a lot of information related to life science. We learned about these organisms powering tiny generators and other organisms that swim in a certain orientation due to magnets in their body. So some stuff might be useful.

However, since it is only recommended then you don't need to take it if you don't want to. But the university believes that it would benefit you.
Old 06-16-2009 at 05:40 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

:p

Physics 1BB3 is recommended for my program as well. I took it, but I haven't had to use any knowledge from it.

As long as you're good at picking up relevant information from other courses, you should be fine without taking second physics.
Old 06-16-2009 at 06:15 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quantum Mechanics is probably relevant to biotechnology. As is E&M...though you probably learn the necessary material in other courses.

I'd say, take it if you have an available slot to take it. Otherwise, take something more interesting to you.

EDIT: I think 1BB3 is recommended for Arts&Sci, not for the material, but for the course options is opens up. Most Level II and above physics courses, rely on 1BB3 as either a prereq, or concurrent registration.

So if you did Arts&Sci without taking 1BB3...you couldn't really take physics to fill your requirements.
Old 06-17-2009 at 01:47 PM   #5
magicalland

Liked: Liked 2 Times

thanks for suggestions!!! I probably will not take it!