MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OUSA Access Focus Groups: October 25th to 29th huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-18-2010 10:28 PM
Hamilton Wildcats Australian Football Club - RECRUITMENT wildcatsafc MacInsiders Announcements 3 06-20-2010 09:06 AM
Research Study Recruitment Affect_Sci Academics 0 11-04-2009 08:56 PM

Recruitment for Focus Groups. $25 and refreshments for 1.5 hours.

Old 06-21-2011 at 02:42 PM   #1
Manley

Liked: 14 Times

Recruitment for Focus Groups. $25 and refreshments for 1.5 hours.
What are your thoughts about teaching in higher education? What do you like most about your courses in university? How useful are Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as Avenue to Learn in your course(s)?

We are looking for volunteers in all faculties to take part in focus groups that explore students' perceptions of teaching, learning, and online learning tools in higher education.

Your participation will involved attending ONE of the focus group sessions listed below. You will be asked to share thoughts about good teaching and learning, and experiences of using online learning tools in university courses.

Date: June 28th, July 7th, July 12th
Time: 5pm-6.30pm (All dates)

In appreciation of your time, each participant will receive a $25 Titles gift card. Pizza meals will also be provided.

Note: Only undergraduate students will be eligible for this study.

To volunteer for this study, please contact Alyssa Lai, principal investigator via email (see above). Please include your name, preferred date, department, year (as of Fall 2011), and number of courses that you have taken, which used some form of Learning Management System (Avenue, Moodle, ELM, etc.)

Last edited by Manley : 06-21-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:56 PM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

so what do people actually do here... just talk?
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:08 PM   #3
Manley

There will be approximately 5 people in each focus group, along with a moderator and a transcriber. Approximately 7 questions will be posed on McMaster's online learning systems which the participants will answer according to their own experiences and discuss with the other participants.

It is a USRA funded Focus Group, and will be transcribed and analyzed but participants will of course remain completely anonymous. McMaster has had a lot of online learning programs over the past few years (WebCT, ELM, Moodle, Avenue) so we want to find out students' experiences with these, along with more programme specific learning systems like Capstone, Capsim etc.

So long story short, yes eventually you just talk and discuss. You are well compensated for the time though, and the information we collect will be very useful.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:14 PM   #4
MCMashetty

Liked: 15 Times

^Is your name Manely because you're so Stanley?

Bad joke i know, but when i saw your username, i couldn't resist
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:17 PM   #5
Manley

Hahahaha, nope. It's my surname. Thank goodness my first name isn't Stanley!

MCMashetty likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:07 PM   #6
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

alright I'm interested, I'm gonna try to make it to the June 28 one
Old 06-21-2011 at 05:55 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Focus groups are fun and easy! Moar easy money!