MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mac meal plan Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-25-2010 01:20 PM
Meal Plan vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-07-2010 09:27 PM
Meal plan? RomanT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-25-2010 01:57 PM
Meal Plan VoyozooT General Discussion 17 09-02-2009 09:57 PM
Regular Meal!! ishk33 Residence & Housing 5 07-07-2008 10:47 AM

Regular Meal Plan: Keep It?

Old 07-04-2010 at 12:28 AM   #1
logans

Liked: 3 Times

Regular Meal Plan: Keep It?
So when I was applying for residence, I chose the regular meal plan option for traditional dorm style housing since "regular" just made more sense. After reading a bajillion posts about how overpriced and unhealthy a lot of the food options are on campus i was starting to rethink the meal plan.

Since the meal plan is mandatory, is it possible to downgrade it after you've already been offered residence? and is it better to keep the regular meal plan, or downgrade and buy off campus?

Is the meal plan card or whatever it is only valid on campus, or can you use it like a regular debit card off campus?

BASICALLY, keep the regular meal plan, or switch down a notch?
Old 07-04-2010 at 01:28 AM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The meal plan is divided into Basic, Freedom, and Flex. Basic is only usable on campus and you lose it at the end of the year if you don't spend it all (I think it was around $2200 last year), every size of meal plan has the same basic portion. The differences in the prices of meal plans is just differences in the Freedom portion (which you can get back anytime you want and use at quite a few places off-campus) so the size of the meal plan doesn't really matter in the long run.
Old 07-04-2010 at 03:17 AM   #3
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I had the same turn-around - got the Regular, read a bajillion posts about how unhealthy it is, and am now considering switching to Freedom.

First year n00b here, by the way.
Old 07-04-2010 at 08:39 AM   #4
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

As BJ has mentioned, it really doesn't matter the size of the meal plan. With every meal plan you'll have the same amount of $$ to spend on campus - whether it's x-large or light.
The difference comes in the $$ you have to spend off campus (you can also spend it on campus if you want but you still pay tax on your food) you can also get this money back if you wish.

I say stick to regular so you don't have to go through the hassle of changing your meal plan, throughout your 4 years you'll end up spending the remainder of the $ on the freedom portion of your account eating out at restaurants/ordering in.

Good Luck!
Old 07-04-2010 at 10:31 AM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

How is Bridges unhealthy?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-04-2010 at 11:22 AM   #6
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

Bushra, just beacuse there's no meat doesn't mean it's healthy
ie. Deep fried sweet potato fries, falafel ... etc. - not exactly healthy.

If you look hard enough you can find a lot of things around campus that are healthy.
ie. whole grain pasta/rice or ricenoodles with veggies at bridges, salad bars, sandwiches (no mayo - mustard is ok/certain dressings) on whole grain etc. Just beacuse it's easier/yummier to be unhealthy doesn't mean you can't choose the healthy options.

goodnews.inc says thanks to Cristina_n13 for this post.
Old 07-04-2010 at 11:23 AM   #7
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
How is Bridges unhealthy?
well it depends on what you get..if you're getting the pasta, salads, chili etc, then it's pretty healthy. If you're getting anything fried, it's not.

goodnews.inc says thanks to etoilex3 for this post.
Old 07-04-2010 at 11:56 AM   #8
logans

K hmm so stick with the regular, eh? So i get the whole basic portion concept, but not really following the freedom and flex stuff. I'm sure theres a link somewhere about it, but can someone explain how that works and what it is?
Old 07-04-2010 at 12:45 PM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by logans View Post
K hmm so stick with the regular, eh? So i get the whole basic portion concept, but not really following the freedom and flex stuff. I'm sure theres a link somewhere about it, but can someone explain how that works and what it is?
Basic: The standard amount that you have to have if you're living on campus, can only be used on campus and you don't get charged tax on it (which is a bit of a nice positive). Non-Refundable

Freedom: Can be used on and off-campus, you get charged tax on it, it's just useful since you sometimes get a 5% discount on things and it's often just easier to pay with your student card than to carry a wallet around. Refundable.

Flex: Exactly the same as basic, except you can choose how much you want to add to it. Refundable.

Hopefully that clears it up a bit.
Old 07-04-2010 at 01:22 PM   #10
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

would group A regular meal plan be enough to last the whole year or would I have to put more money in
Old 07-04-2010 at 02:05 PM   #11
PaperPhoenix

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by logans View Post
Here's a link to some FAQs:
http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/mea...html#basicflex
Specialization

Old 07-04-2010 at 03:07 PM   #12
logans

sweet, thanks a lot guys. I think i'm just going to stick with the group A regular meal plan, and look around for the healthy alternatives. Any suggestions on healthy on/off campus places to dine?
Old 07-04-2010 at 03:18 PM   #13
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
would group A regular meal plan be enough to last the whole year or would I have to put more money in
was enough for me... i ended up with money left over on my offcampus portion.. so i order pizza from time to time over the summer
Old 07-04-2010 at 03:37 PM   #14
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
I think it depends on how much/what you eat. I was struggling in the beginning of the year to spend my money...it's different for everyone. But by decemeber/january, I got addicted to williams and ended up finishing my basic portion that way. I ended up also having money left over by the end of the year.

The most important thing is to NOT swipe blindly!! You can check your balance online at: http://mealcard.mcmaster.ca/acctnfo.htm and your balance also pops up at the cashier after you swipe at any location. As long as you keep track of how much you're spending and spend wisely, you should make it the year.
Old 07-04-2010 at 05:23 PM   #15
chanduru

Liked: 0 Times

When do i choose between basic, freedom and flex? I have Group A Full Regular.