MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reinstatement letter denied? razorsharp55 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-01-2014 06:20 PM
reinstatement Johnny162 Academics 25 07-28-2011 09:48 AM
bursary Denied? sycoman Financial Aid 0 01-24-2011 12:52 PM
Canadian woman denied health benefits by employer because of Facebook photos Kathy2 General Discussion 10 11-25-2009 04:11 PM

Reinstatement denied - what next?

Old 07-11-2016 at 10:15 PM   #1
n_0h

Liked: 0 Times

Reinstatement denied - what next?
Hi MacInsiders,

I finished first year with a CGPA of 2.7 because of family problems and my own negligence of seeking counselling, and therefore have been kicked out of university. I sent my application for reinstatement and was denied.

My first question is, I put my program choice (to be reinstated to) as Life Sciences. Would it have made a difference if I put down "general science"? I mentioned it in my letter, but didn't write it on the actual form.

Second, for those reinstated in the following years, what did you do in your year off? I'm debating between taking courses at Ryerson in order to "shadow" and hopefully not be too behind when (if) I come back to Mac, or to take a one-year program and receive a certificate and hopefully broaden my job perspectives for the future, and then apply for reinstatement.

Third, to those reinstated, did you come back as a "general" whatever-your-faculty-is student and applied for a specific program in the next year? Let's say I wanted to go into PNB. If I shadow those 2nd year courses at Ryerson and was able to receive transfer credits, was reinstated in my 3rd year (and let's say I completed the 2nd year and 3rd year courses in 3rd year), would I be applying to PNB in my 4th year?

I don't want to be too behind (finances ), and I'm still a little confused about this whole process, especially since I have to take a year off. I will also talk to a counselor when I can go to Hamilton.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks all.
Old 07-12-2016 at 10:44 AM   #2
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times

Hey there!

Ive been through this process so feel free to PM me!

In short, during my year off I took 2 courses in Athabasca and worked and volunteered. Personally I wished I worked less and did a certificate at a college as the courses didnt really reduce my course load for the future. Keep in mind its better to take 1-2 courses and get a 75%+ mark (usually people get in the 80%+ range since they're only taking 2 courses) rather than to take a "full course load", and get mediocre marks. Also keep in mind you HAVE to get a 60% in courses for them to transfer. Look at the course equivalency list to ensure the courses you took in your off are transferred if you come back.

As for your question, you'll most likely be reinstated into general sciences for your year back and then usually most reinstatees tend to stay in Honours Life Sci or BSc Life Sci as its the easier option as it has less requirements and a higher enrolment space. Usually by the time you are reinstated spaces in specializations such as BioChem and PNB are full. Whether you wrote general life or life sci, doesnt make a difference. The reinstatement process supposedly has a cap as a faculty aka Science as a whole, will reinstate 'x' number of people. Don't beat yourself up over it. Its very rare to get reinstated without taking a year off.

Last edited by Starships2 : 07-12-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2016 at 07:29 PM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Don't panic. Grow as a person. I promise this isn't the end of the world.

Starships2's advice is on point. Best of luck with your next adventure!
Old 07-14-2016 at 10:21 PM   #4
karan7146

Liked: 0 Times

Apply to humanities you will get in
Old 07-15-2016 at 09:55 AM   #5
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Go to community college. It's easier, co-op means more money, and you actually get a career out of it.