Reinstatement gongshow Academics 0 06-20-2010 06:03 PM
reinstatement gongshow Academics 8 06-08-2010 11:44 AM

Reinstatement Help!

Old 04-17-2013 at 01:25 PM   #1
ZeeKay93

Liked: 2 Times

Reinstatement Help!
Hey guys,

I'm in B.Tech level 2. Just 2 days into second semester this year I fully tore my ACL at the DBAC gym while playing basketball. I could barely walk for about a month after this injury. Even after, I could only limp and was really immobile and reliant on my roommates to help me around the house. Due to this, attending classes was very hard (even though I tried writing most of my midterms by using the taxi to get to campus) if not impossible at times. Because of my inability to walk and attend classes (where you learn everything for the exams and midterms), my CA has dropped to around 2.8~. I've deferred todays 50% exam to june, and am also taking an athabasca U course (pretty easy to get a good mark in) to make up for a failed biology course last year which was waived for me. As for the supporting documents, I have a note from my physiotherapist, my family doctor, multiple MRI scan reports that claim that I have completely torn my ACL, and also my surgeon (I will be undergoing ACL reconstruction surgery this summer).

If in May my grade report claims that I am ineligible to continue at McMaster, would I need to submit a petition or reinstatement? Also, what are my chances of being reinstated with a major knee injury (that makes one immobile and prevents them from attending classes)?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2013 at 01:30 PM   #2
ZeeKay93

Also, is there any chance to be reinstated into a business program by any chance? Thanks
Old 04-17-2013 at 03:50 PM   #3
wesiscool

Liked: 13 Times

why would you stay in school for the second semester then if you got hurt? Questionable decision making, but if you do have the supporting documents...you should be fine. Should talk to your academic advisor, since no one really knows your whole situation.
Old 04-17-2013 at 05:23 PM   #4
ZeeKay93

^ Never had an injury like this before my dude, you live and learn. Thanks though

Marooner likes this.
Old 04-17-2013 at 06:05 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

I would talk to your academic advisor now with supporting documents. Tell them what has happened what you have done and what you are planning.
Old 04-17-2013 at 06:19 PM   #6
ZeeKay93

Thank you Kenneth! I will be doing so after my next exam, which is on Saturday. But what do you guys personally think, is such a major knee injury good enough for a reinstatement? Even though I provide 4-5 pieces of medical supporting documents?
Old 04-17-2013 at 06:29 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

I don't know who your academic advisor is. Some really just push the blame but some have some compassion. You did try to continue school through your pain and injury and it clearly had its toll. Just tell them the truth and it should be fine.
Old 04-17-2013 at 07:31 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

What we personally think is completely irrelevant, and you're getting ahead of yourself anyways. For problems like this, you're not supposed to wait until you get kicked out to take action, you're supposed to do something about it beforehand if possible. Even showing that you tried to get help during the term means a lot if you do end up needing to apply for reinstatement.
Right now, your best option is probably to petition, but I'm not really sure what the process is for that. Your academic advisor should be able to tell you.
Old 04-17-2013 at 09:07 PM   #9
ZeeKay93

When I asked for personal opinions it was directed towards people who have been in the same situation as me. So yes, what a person (who has already gone through the same thing as me) thinks is completely relevant. Anyways, as you stated "get help during the term"; would this still apply if I went on Monday to talk to my advisor? I'm kinda new to this whole petition and reinstatement thing, so please excuse my ignorance on this topic. And thank you starfish!
Old 04-17-2013 at 09:22 PM   #10
LiveLaughLove

Liked: 1 Time

idk but you look kinda cute right now.

ZeeKay93 likes this.
Old 04-17-2013 at 09:43 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeKay93 View Post
When I asked for personal opinions it was directed towards people who have been in the same situation as me. So yes, what a person (who has already gone through the same thing as me) thinks is completely relevant. Anyways, as you stated "get help during the term"; would this still apply if I went on Monday to talk to my advisor? I'm kinda new to this whole petition and reinstatement thing, so please excuse my ignorance on this topic. And thank you starfish!
I highly doubt anyone on here (or anyone in general) has been in your exact situation, so nobody can give you a personal anecdote that will tell you what the outcome will be in your case, or even give you a hint at it. And asking for people's opinions is different from asking for anecdotes...honestly, just because someone here thinks that your situation is completely reasonable for allowing reinstatement, that doesn't mean the committee will agree and they also don't know your full situation.

You should go talk to your advisor on Monday regardless of whether that counts as "getting help during the term". But ideally, you should have gotten help or sought advice much earlier than this, and if it comes to reinstatement, they'll probably want some sort of reasoning as to why you didn't. It's always better late than never, though.

The reason I think it's so important that you see your advisor ASAP is to try to find a way to avoid getting kicked out so that you don't have to go through the reinstatement process - your life will be a lot easier/less stressful.
Old 04-18-2013 at 12:13 PM   #12
miss.wood

Liked: 1 Time

I was reinstated 2 years ago. It's as simple as writing a reinstatment letter and explaining your situation. Mac is pretty good about accomodating people. I left due to my OCD getting out of control and simply followed the guidelines to be reinstated and was approved for the following semester.
Good luck with that everything will be fine! If you need any help as to what I put in my letter I can look it up for you

ZeeKay93 says thanks to miss.wood for this post.

ZeeKay93 likes this.