MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ref works demelo_b Academics 1 02-04-2011 09:18 PM
Magic Trick Of 111! It Works! AdelaisAer General Discussion 49 01-16-2011 08:55 AM
Student Involvement Survey In The Works Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 03-27-2008 09:26 AM
Profiles In The Works Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-01-2006 03:19 PM

Reinstatement...how it works?

Old 05-01-2012 at 10:22 AM   #1
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Reinstatement...how it works?
So I messed up really bad. Well my whole year was wasted, i killed myself and studied for exams, did well but still wasnt enough. My reason for failure is personal but because it is an anonymous forum I will say it. Back in early june of last year (grade 12) I was diagnosed with a 2 cm tumour in my colon. It was horrible to deal with for me because it was in the same week I got into mcmaster. I didnt know if i should be happy about my achievement that I wanted my whole life, or the fact that I worked all those years to end up in a hospital bed right when it was all worth it. :(

As insane as this sounds, to not burden my parents that worked so hard and basically gave their life and moved to canada for me I didnt tell them, waited out the summer and then started treatment during the year. I was away from home at mac. I am doing well health wise now (i guess) but basically bombed my year. I wanted to ask if there is a way for me to get another chance next year and not waste one more year of my life. Because from what I hear u need to wait a year before reinstatement. I could most likely get papers to prove my diagnosis if it comes to that.

Thank you in advance guys.

MajorMak says thanks to lifesciman1 for this post.
Old 05-01-2012 at 11:26 AM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Since yours is more of a medical reason, the first safe step would be to get proof of your medical condition (history) to prove it is legit.

Make an appointment with the science faculty advisor. Explain your scenario. Show your papers. Since this is a legit medical reason most likely you will be reinstated. They might require you to write a one page document explaining why your marks were like that (give them your scenario) and you should be able to start over with a clean slate
Old 05-01-2012 at 11:33 AM   #3
lifesciman1

would they make me start in one year or sep 2012? thanks for the reply.
Old 05-01-2012 at 11:39 AM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Usually it says you have to wait for one year. But the one year wait is often not implemented depending on how nice your dean is. Given your scenario I'm sure (s ) he would reinstate you immediately

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 05-01-2012 at 11:46 AM   #5
lifesciman1

Lets hope so man. Im so depressed. I tried hard the last 3 weeks, literally lived at those and studied. Still couldn't make it.
Old 05-01-2012 at 11:47 AM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
would they make me start in one year or sep 2012? thanks for the reply.
Good luck with getting reinstated John. I hope your health stays a-okay from now on.

lifesciman1 says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 05-01-2012 at 12:06 PM   #7
lifesciman1

I have learned to live day by day now. Enjoying everyday and being thankful for every breath. Thank you guys.
Old 05-01-2012 at 01:42 PM   #8
lifesciman1

btw guys the grade report says not eligible to continue is program. Does that mean I'm eligible for other prigs at mac?
Old 05-01-2012 at 01:46 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
btw guys the grade report says not eligible to continue is program. Does that mean I'm eligible for other prigs at mac?
Depends...if your CA is less than 3, then no. If it's between 3-3.5, you'd be on probation and in "general science" or something random like that while you take courses to boost your GPA.
When the grade report says that though, it's only evaluating your program. It doesn't look at any others.