MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Philosophy 2D03/Religious Studies 2C03 ferreinm 2nd Year Course Reviews 17 06-10-2014 03:35 PM
Should I switch PSYCH 1X03 for PEACE ST 1A03, CSCT 1CS3, or any PHILOS?! Please help! michaellucas First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-14-2011 01:15 PM
Course Swap: Biology 2B03 (sem. 2) for PHILOS 2D03? _Mike Academics 0 07-27-2010 12:28 PM
Life Science 2C03 or 2D03? MSS12 Academics 11 08-14-2009 06:36 PM
Geo 2rc3/Philos 2d03 mizz.s. Academics 0 01-02-2009 05:14 PM

RELIG ST 2C03/PEACE ST 2D03/PHILOS 2D03 review?

Old 05-28-2012 at 09:51 AM   #1
hons2

Liked: 1 Time

RELIG ST 2C03/PEACE ST 2D03/PHILOS 2D03 review?
Has anyone taken this course? all the course codes represent the same course.
if anyone can provide a review, that'd be great. thanks !
Old 05-28-2012 at 10:56 AM   #2
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

If you're looking for a GPA-booster, do not take this course, even if you're good at essay-writing. My TA (as well as my friends TAs) marked our papers extremely harshly, meaning that you'd never get a double-digit grade, even if there was seemingly not much wrong with your paper. My TA would constantly ask us questions, then tell us our answers were wrong, and not be able to explain what the right answer actually was, leading to mass confusion in tutorial.

The only good aspects of this course were that the prof (Rodde) was a good lecturer, and you got questions to prepare for the final. In the end, I managed to get an A- but this was after putting in effort far beyond what I did for any of my other courses. I feel that they purposely tried to make it hard to attain a high grade. Maybe things have changed?
Old 05-28-2012 at 11:04 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
If you're looking for a GPA-booster, do not take this course, even if you're good at essay-writing. My TA (as well as my friends TAs) marked our papers extremely harshly, meaning that you'd never get a double-digit grade, even if there was seemingly not much wrong with your paper. My TA would constantly ask us questions, then tell us our answers were wrong, and not be able to explain what the right answer actually was, leading to mass confusion in tutorial.

The only good aspects of this course were that the prof (Rodde) was a good lecturer, and you got questions to prepare for the final. In the end, I managed to get an A- but this was after putting in effort far beyond what I did for any of my other courses. I feel that they purposely tried to make it hard to attain a high grade. Maybe things have changed?
I had a totally different experience. My TA was totally unbiased when she marked our essays and as such it was easy to get a good grade as long as your arguments didn't have any holes in them. During the tutorials she rarely said something was "right" or "wrong" unless someone misunderstood one of the ethical theories. The majority of the time we just debated back and forth and she just guided that debate, adding some points if they didn't come up.
Old 06-05-2012 at 04:58 PM   #4
snair

Liked: 0 Times

philos 2d03
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I had a totally different experience. My TA was totally unbiased when she marked our essays and as such it was easy to get a good grade as long as your arguments didn't have any holes in them. During the tutorials she rarely said something was "right" or "wrong" unless someone misunderstood one of the ethical theories. The majority of the time we just debated back and forth and she just guided that debate, adding some points if they didn't come up.
how was the course? is it interesting? and do you remember you tas name
Old 06-05-2012 at 06:07 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by snair View Post
how was the course? is it interesting? and do you remember you tas name
Interest is subjective. If ethics in health care interests you then you'll find the course interesting. My TA's name was Joanna Zaslow.

snair says thanks to jhan523 for this post.