10%10%10%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 60%
Religious Studies 1E03

Oh, ideas of love.
This class was a let down for me mainly because of the professor who I found to be very dry and narrow minded. I am not sure if the same professor is teaching it as I took it in 2006.

The texts were fairly interesting. We studied four main texts: Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare, The Letters of Abelard and Heloise, 1984 by George Orwell and sections from the Dialogues of Plato (mainly dealing with pederasty and male homosexuality).

Discussion included how we portray love in our literature, esp in Western society, how certain 'loves' are percieved (ie: homosexuality and pederasty) today compared to how they were before. Comparisons were also made with the The Letters of Abelard and Heloise to todays society as they were similar to Romeo and Juliet, a type of forbidden love.

The reading expectations were fairly light as only four books were covered and the only one read completely was Romeo and Juliet. Easy class to get a good grade in if you simply read the texts.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Religious Studies 1E03!

Old 06-16-2008 at 07:52 PM   #2
Alvand
Program: Business
Year: Third

Liked: 39 Times
Just want to clarify that this course is called Love in Western Civilization.
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-16-2008 at 08:44 PM   #3
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fourth
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
1984 was also read.

The prof being so dull is what made me not do well in the course. It wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. The texts are enjoyable though. I really enjoyed learning about pederasty and the creation story of Aristophanes? where we were all blobs that were separated and we look for our other halves. I should really know whose story it is considering I'm in philosophy.
Old 06-17-2008 at 08:17 AM   #4
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Haha, that was Plato ferreinm! But yes, the prof being dull I didn't like, I did like the material for the most part. I wasn't too happy with Romeo and Juliet but hey, what can you do? I had forgotten about 1984 though, good call.

And Alvand, this class is not listed as Love in Western Civilization for me on MUGSI, it's called ideas of love. The reason why I didn't put it down as specificially Western is because a lot of people debate whether or not Plato should be considered "Western" thought or not. I didn't want to spark a big discussion on it thats all.

Last edited by kokosas : 06-17-2008 at 08:20 AM.

Old 07-02-2008 at 10:55 PM   #5
Victor K
Program: Business
Year: Prospective Student

Liked: 0 Times
And what is the mark breakdown?

Thank you for the review! =)
Old 07-03-2008 at 09:08 AM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Uh...Alright, I don't have the exact mark break down but this is what I remember:

In tutorial you had a little quiz every class, a simple question about the readings and if you had read it you would know, sometimes even if you didn't read it you would still know.

We had an essay, no midterm, and a final. I don't remember what the % was for each of those but perhaps Nicole can remember a bit better than I can.

Old 01-09-2009 at 12:44 AM   #7
missmatch
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour

Does anybody have the book Philosophy of Sex and Love by Trevas from this course? Interested in buying.
Old 04-21-2009 at 07:13 PM   #8
notredame
Program: Political Science
Year: Prospective Student

This year was taught by Professor Ross; loved her!
She was really nice and approachable.

The course material was a little dry. But when Professor Ross talked about it and applied it to like real life situations, things got a bit interesting. The videos shown (there were a lot of videos shown in class) were interesting 70% of the time.

There were two main assignments: the midterm take home exam, the final take home exam.

The two were quite lengthy, average of 15 pages of writing for each and took a bit more thought. But not tooo bad.

The other part of the final grade was a little online posting we had to post on webct. It was just to post something about love and write a paragraph on it. Only worth 3% but still an easy mark booster. As long as it was submitted on time you got a 100% on it.

Overall, pretty easy course. Kind of boring at times, but a good course to take kind of as a break from tougher courses.
Old 08-15-2009 at 08:41 AM   #9
unaiza
Program: Honours Life Sciences
Year: Other

I would recommend this course if you're looking for an easy elective but you can't do that if you aren't good at writing essays as that's what the course is almost entirely about.

The WebCT discussions were a major boost plus the web artifact where you just have to post anything about love. The essays could be quite long at times, but there were only two of them and that take-home essays, so it wasn't really a bother to do them.

The midterm take home essay : 36%
The final take home essay : 39%
Class and Tutorial participation and attendance : 22%
Free bonus assignment (web artifact) : 3%

You don't really have to participate in class, its the tutorial that matters.

Overall, not a bad class at all and easy to get a double digit in.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search