MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Confused about Paying for Off-Campus Rent lampk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-10-2008 01:08 PM
Looking to Rent? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-17-2007 05:03 PM

Where to Rent Around Campus?

Old 07-28-2010 at 02:40 AM   #1
cywhiz

Liked: 0 Times

Where to Rent Around Campus?
Just wondering, which area in Zone 1 would be better to live in? I heard from my friend that the South part is a little "sketchy", is that true?

1) East (Westdale)
2) West (Norfolk, Thorndale, etc.)
3) South (Emerson, Broadway, Bowman, etc.)

Ideally, I would like somewhere that is quiet/safe, close to supermarkets/restaurants/parks.
Old 07-28-2010 at 03:12 AM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

What do you consider "close", first of all? =/

Westdale (the "East") is generally nice. There are a *lot* of places to eat (Pita Pit, Subway, Bean Bar, Dragon Court...), there are a couple of banks, a Shoppers Drug Mart, and a Metro.

The "West" basically has a Boston Pizza, a Tim Hortons, a Fortinos, a Wendy's, and a Burger King.

I lived "South" last year (Way down Emerson)... wasn't *that* sketchy.
How convenient it is is relative to how far down south you live. Especially considering it's all downhill. I biked a lot last year. And it's a ***** when you got like 3 hours of sleep and have to go uphill.

If you're almost right across campus (or on the "closer to campus" side of the old train tracks), it's not too much of a hassle. There's a convenience store, gas station, Williams, Gino's Pizza, and a 24-Hour Subway in that area. Past the train tracks though, there's basically nothing (and that's where I lived. Oh joy.)

If you need to do grocery shopping, you can follow the aformentioned "old train tracks" straight to the Fortinos/Boston Pizza. It's about a five minute bike ride. You can't follow it in wet weather though (it'll basically be all mud).
Old 07-28-2010 at 04:37 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Well, I know a lot of people who live in the 'South' area, and no one's said that it's sketchy there. I've walked around there a lot, during the day and at night and I've never felt scared. It is always good to walk with someone at night though, no matter where you are. I live west of the South, basically where Whitney Ave ends, and it's quiet here, close to University Plaza which has a Metro, Shoppers, TD Bank and Dollarama among other things. Fortinos isn't far from here either, about a 15 minute walk. It's about 20-25 minutes to walk to McMaster, and 5-10 minutes on the bus depending on the time of day.

Westdale is pretty safe as far I know, but recently there have been isolated incidents in the area. It's not to say that you shouldn't live there because it's an awesome little hub with everything you need within walking distance pretty much. And it's only a 5-20 minute walk to Mac, depending on where you are.

The East, I've no idea. I've walked around there maybe three times and it looks really pretty during the summer, haha but that's all I can tell you. It seems quiet and totally residential, close to Fortinos (and my personal favourite, booster juice hehe).

I lived outside of Zone 1 in first year, in the downtown core, and I hated it -- that's all I have to say about that. :]

If you ever feel wary about walking home by yourself, McMaster has a thing called SWHAT which I think stands for student walk home ... something something. Anyway, basically you call them up and two people (a guy and a girl) will walk with you to your house. I think there's a map on Mac's website about how far they'll go, I think they even take the bus with you to certain places. I've never actually used this resource, but it's a good idea to have in the back of your mind.

Last edited by feonateresa : 07-28-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:11 AM   #4
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
If you need to do grocery shopping, you can follow the aformentioned "old train tracks" straight to the Fortinos/Boston Pizza. It's about a five minute bike ride. You can't follow it in wet weather though (it'll basically be all mud).
It's supposed to be getting paved this summer and connected over the 403. There's been some controversy over it, but there has been some work done to date.

_Luu_ likes this.
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:40 AM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

To be honest, there isn't that much difference in terms of the areas. South of main looks sketchy in a lot of parts because in a lot of cases student houses = decrepid houses. There are nicer areas as well though (Dellbrook as an example).

As long as the individual house you get is fine though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I lived South of Main for the last two years, and its probably safer in terms of not being mugged- there's always students around. Westdale seems to be where a lot of Mac students get mugged, even if its a bit nicer (and it really isn't that much nicer).

That said, I'm living in Westdale this year, so lets see if that changes my opinion of it!
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:57 AM   #6
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

I have lived in east (Newton) as well as the west (Glenmount). I preferred the west since it's alot easier to go for groceries, especially in the winter.
I would say the houses were about the same quality, with the one in westdale perhaps a bit better kept. Most of the time when I met up with friends, we went into Westdale.
I preferred living in the west since I was closer to campus and groceries. Rent was slightly cheaper in the west too(but this depends on the house). The rail trail made it really easy to cut anywhere south of Main St.
Old 07-28-2010 at 09:37 AM   #7
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

sketchy? i really wish students would stop saying things like that - it spreads unnecessary rumours and makes people so afraid to venture out of their front doors.

are there areas of hamilton that are "sketchy"? for sure... the northeast end for example... but the west end really isn't one of them. any area will have incidents. even ancaster - the wealthiest area - has those. ironically, to the residents in west hamilton, it's the students who are the problem - not the other way around.

all of west hamilton, from dundurn to dundas consists of upper middle and middle-class working families with student houses and apartments dotted throughout. the run-down houses you see are without fail, student houses.

it is considered the nicest part of hamilton and has some of the most expensive real estate properties in the city. (not including the towns around it)

there are 4 buildings (not AREAS... BUILDINGS) that you may want to be a bit wary around.

on main street west near whitney, on broadway near the rail trail and near fortinos, on the north side by rifle range are government housing and half-way housing. these people are generally harmless, but unfortunately, there are people there with substance abuse and mental health issues. rather than being outright dangerous, i'd say you're more likely to run into odd behaviour with some of them. for example, i know of a couple of men who are filthy and go around with shopping carts collecting empty beer cans and bottles on recycling day.. but they keep to themselves.

also, on whitney just behind the royal bank is "womankind" which is a shelter and there are some women there who also have issues.

other than that, it's considered a very safe area and the homes are lovely and taken care of. take a walk around and see for yourself. and i agree, if you don't feel safe at night, walk with friends.

i know i've been accused on here before of being biased because i've lived in and around hamilton my whole life... i like to think that it gives me an honest opinion in that i have actually experienced these neighbourhoods. if a place were truly dangerous i would say so.
Old 07-28-2010 at 10:16 AM   #8
soltintal

oh and p.s. the south has an added bonus... once in a blue moon if the wind is blowing just right, thanks to the candy factory on ewen rd, the whole neighbourhood smells like red licorice. LOL

feonateresa likes this.
Old 07-28-2010 at 11:01 AM   #9
rexelle

Liked: 4 Times

personal opinion (and perhaps biased )

but west is best
Old 07-28-2010 at 11:06 AM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexelle View Post
personal opinion (and perhaps biased )

but west is best
Haha, I know right? I grew up in West Toronto, where my high school's motto was 'Best in the West'. Now here in Hamilton too. :]

And whoa, I had no idea about the government housing/shelters in the area. I've never once felt threatened or even seen 'shady' people walking around. The only odd person I've seen is the guy who goes into Thode Lib and asks for donation because he's deaf.. or blind.. I can't remember which, pretty sure it's deaf and I'm pretty sure it's a scam. :p
Old 07-29-2010
soltintal
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:34 AM   #11
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Oh yeah something I forgot to mention about the South area:

One of the student housing buildings used to be a funeral home.
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:36 AM   #12
soltintal

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post

And whoa, I had no idea about the government housing/shelters in the area. I've never once felt threatened or even seen 'shady' people walking around.

It was not my intention to post those buildings to scare people, or to be non-PC about people with personal struggles. Just to point out that this is a city after all, with a diverse population (yes, even in the surrounding towns) and that no matter where you are, you should have your "city smarts" on. Having said that, I think your second sentence speaks for itself.
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:39 AM   #13
soltintal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Oh yeah something I forgot to mention about the South area:

One of the student housing buildings used to be a funeral home.

yes, and a very nice one. if you happen to see my grandparents' ghosts flying around in there, tell them i say "hi". LOL
Old 07-29-2010 at 12:26 PM   #14
rebeccaaa

Liked: 0 Times

Personally I love Westdale and wouldn't even consider living anywhere else You're a 10 minute walk to Metro, and extremely close to lovely bakeries, Shoppers drugmart, TCBY, Second Cup and a whole slew of different banks. Its a really nice and sweet place to live and I'd highly reccomend it.