MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Payroll taxes? jubilantx Volunteering Opportunities 4 08-14-2010 12:19 PM
taxes... macculkin Financial Aid 3 03-21-2010 09:25 PM
need for filing taxes? xsanx Financial Aid 4 03-02-2010 11:11 PM
Taxes Greco Financial Aid 30 01-18-2010 07:06 PM
Taxes snaps Financial Aid 5 04-19-2009 11:05 PM

Rent - Taxes

Old 02-28-2010 at 09:24 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 166

Thanked: 6 Times
Liked: 18 Times

Rent - Taxes
Hey guys!

So I rented a basement apartment last semester for $500/month. I only ended up staying for one month though, because I got a clinical rotation close to home 2 days a week, so I moved back home.

So in total I only paid $500 in rent for the month of September 2009.

Should I claim this on my tax return? I'm not too sure how rent works on taxes, do you get some sort of refund? I'll be doing my taxes soon, and have my tuition T22, OSAP interest receipt, grant receipt, and my T4. I don't have a receipt for my rent payment, but if it's worth claiming I can make one up quickly and just write in the landlords contact info.
Formerly: Vanessa-88
Institute for Applied Health Sciences
Nursing 2010
Old 02-28-2010 at 05:31 PM   #2
Elite Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,069

Thanked: 318 Times
Liked: 361 Times

Get a letter from your landlord saying that you paid 1 month of rent for $500 for that month.

I got a refund, but it was based off of 12 months. It wouldn't hurt to try it.
Old 02-28-2010 at 05:38 PM   #3
Elite Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,841

Thanked: 229 Times
Liked: 349 Times

Rent is Rent; Put it on
Gregory Darkeff
Alumni 2011 - Honors Commerce and Economics Minor
Old 02-28-2010 at 06:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 281

Thanked: 19 Times
Liked: 18 Times

you get a larger return for claiming rent, however i'm not too sure that one month of rent will make that big of a difference.

get either a receipt from your landlord or a letter stating that you paid rent to have before you file your taxes. i was audited for last year and had to go through the trouble of having to contact my landlord and get receipts. landlords are by law required to provide tenents with a receipt.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

McMaster University News and Information, Student-run Community, with topics ranging from Student Life, Advice, News, Events, and General Help.
Notice: The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the student(s) who authored the content. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by McMaster University or the MSU (McMaster Students Union). Being a student-run community, all articles and discussion posts on MacInsiders are unofficial and it is therefore always recommended that you visit the official McMaster website for the most accurate up-to-date information.

Copyright © All Rights Reserved. No content can be re-used or re-published without permission. MacInsiders is a service of Fullerton Media Inc. | Created by Chad
Originally Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright © 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All rights reserved. | Privacy | Terms