MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours requirements? justinsftw Academics 3 08-22-2010 11:56 PM
Nursing Requirements MacDai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-27-2010 12:11 AM
Program Requirements... Toast Academics 1 06-14-2010 02:28 AM
Humanities/Soc Sci Requirements etoilex3 Academics 5 06-13-2010 09:37 PM
Understanding Course Requirements FlyWithMac Academics 16 06-29-2008 08:44 PM

What are the requirements for becomng a TA?

Old 12-23-2008 at 01:30 PM   #1
jangh2

Liked: 0 Times

What are the requirements for becomng a TA?
Hello people!
I was just wondering.. what are the requirements for becoming a TA?
Old 12-23-2008 at 04:49 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I believe you only need a 10 in whatever you want to become a TA for. That's how it is for TA's for first year engineering courses at least. You also need a resume. I guess it's probably the same as applying for a job.
Old 12-23-2008 at 09:12 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

TA's are usually Graduate students. Some faculties (like Science) will take undergrad TA's but only because they are markers and they don't really teach independently. With your average Arts TA's you have to be a graduate because they actually teach in their tutorial sessions, sometimes it's new material that isn't covered by the prof.

You should be able to find information regarding becoming a TA on the faculty website under the "Working at McMaster" bit.

Old 12-23-2008 at 09:17 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
TA's are usually Graduate students. Some faculties (like Science) will take undergrad TA's but only because they are markers and they don't really teach independently. With your average Arts TA's you have to be a graduate because they actually teach in their tutorial sessions, sometimes it's new material that isn't covered by the prof.

You should be able to find information regarding becoming a TA on the faculty website under the "Working at McMaster" bit.
Really? Some of the TAs for first year engineering are only second year students, and they do teach, but only the engineering courses (comp sci, sketching, solid edge.etc).
Old 12-23-2008 at 09:26 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

By teach I don't mean reiterate what the prof has said or clarify concepts, I mean teach new material, take concepts farther into new territory. I can't speak for Eng, but I know that my TA's are always grad students for the reason that undergrads aren't deemed to be qualified. I wanted to become a TA in my second year.

I know that Science has a (3rd year?) course where you are a TA for a first year biology course and you earn a credit instead of money.

Old 12-23-2008 at 09:29 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I know for Humanities most of the TAs are graduate students.

In Multimedia and Communications though I've had TAs who aren't graduate students. They teach the programs or course material in tutorials. Since in Multimedia it's software I would assume that's why it's okay. For Communications they are only covering material that's covered in lectures. At least in first and second year.

For other things like History and whatnot TAs are always Graduate students.

I'm not sure about other programs.
Old 12-23-2008 at 10:08 PM   #7
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

For Eng. math, I believe you need a 10 in that course to become a TA. don't know about other courses.
And there are 2nd TA, but they are just marking TAs, not teaching. So far all my TAs are 3/4th year or graduate students.
Old 12-23-2008 at 11:05 PM   #8
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangh2 View Post
I was just wondering.. what are the requirements for becoming a TA?
It's a tad difficult to generalize because it really depends on the department and the course coordinator (who hires the TAs)

Old 12-23-2008 at 11:18 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Communications and Multimedia have third and fourth year TA's...but there isn't a Graduate Program at Mac...

There are sometimes fourth year anthro students TA-ing Anthro 1A03...but I only heard of it happening last year and not any previous year. Sociology sometimes has upper year students as TA's as well.

Math, Sciences and Eng students can TA in second year. In some of those courses they are marking TA's. However, depending on their skills they may actually teach courses. My Math 1K03 tutorial was taught by a third year student...but he was really good. My 1M03 class was taught by either a fourth year or a grad student and was terrible...

The course Sabrina mentioned about "TA-ing" is Science 3S03: Inquiry. They sit in first year Inquiry courses and help, but so far don't do a whole lot of teaching (from what I've heard of at least).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 12-23-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2008 at 08:30 AM   #10
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

For the eng 1C03 (sketching and solid edge) class you can be a second year eng student but you need a 10 in the course and your CA has to be a 6 or higher.