MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business I Requirements leylab First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-15-2011 05:08 PM
Nursing Requirements MacDai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-27-2010 12:11 AM
Program Requirements... Toast Academics 1 06-14-2010 02:28 AM
Humanities/Soc Sci Requirements etoilex3 Academics 5 06-13-2010 09:37 PM
Understanding Course Requirements FlyWithMac Academics 16 06-29-2008 08:44 PM

requirements help plz!

Old 11-06-2011 at 10:42 PM   #1
Joyceyblank

Liked: 3 Times

requirements help plz!
Would I be at an disadvantage if I took all the med school required courses in summer school? (ex: biology, chemistry, orgo chem...etc) Or do they just look at your GPA and that you did take the courses. Secondly, for the MCAT, are there certain courses that you have to finish before you are allowed to write it? When do you write it anyways to ensure that the results are in time to apply for med school? thanks.
Old 11-07-2011 at 08:10 AM   #2
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyceyblank View Post
Would I be at an disadvantage if I took all the med school required courses in summer school? (ex: biology, chemistry, orgo chem...etc) Or do they just look at your GPA and that you did take the courses. Secondly, for the MCAT, are there certain courses that you have to finish before you are allowed to write it? When do you write it anyways to ensure that the results are in time to apply for med school? thanks.
In regards to summer school courses, check the requirements for whichever med schools you're applying to (some don't consider summer school marks, while others do from what I've heard).

For the MCAT, I would strongly suggest taking basic bio, orgo, basic chemistry, basic physics, some math, before attempting it. Ir you could skip all that and take one of those really expensive prep courses.

And the results have to be submitted with your applications in Oct. I would suggest you do it in the summer (June, July, early August at the very latest) in order to have it marked and be able to release those results to the institutions in time.
Old 11-07-2011 at 02:16 PM   #3
PinkiePie

Liked: 6 Times

Orgo in the summer can be very time-intensive, so I wouldn't recommend taking much else with it. You generally fly through the material fast, so if you are not the type to be vigilant about homework I would avoid this idea.
Old 11-07-2011 at 04:19 PM   #4
Joyceyblank

Liked: 3 Times

even if the med school don't consider the summer school marks, do they still consider it as completing their course requirements? as in, I still got the credits even though it's a completion mark?
Old 11-07-2011 at 05:25 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
even if the med school don't consider the summer school marks, do they still consider it as completing their course requirements? as in, I still got the credits even though it's a completion mark?
It depends on the school. Go to the website of whatever school you're interested in and read about their requirements.
If the school doesn't like summer school courses and you have all/most of the prereqs taken in summer school, that isn't really going to help you much.
Old 11-08-2011 at 09:16 PM   #6
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
usually yes- but it depends on the school (as always)