Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
psych 1x03 handbook cjdzl Academics 6 09-14-2010 03:35 PM
Business First-Year Handbook Chad Academics 4 08-11-2007 05:31 PM

Residence Handbook

Old 07-29-2008 at 05:13 PM   #1
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

Residence Handbook
has anybody gotten theirs yet? i got an orientation package but no residence handbook...when does this usually come in the mail?

Old 07-29-2008 at 09:13 PM   #2
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

in the past few years, you will be getting a residence package in the mail. This will include the residance handbook, an intro letter from your residence manager about your building and stuff, and then also the move in schedule and other information like renting fridges and stuff.
it should get to your mail soon i would assume they will have it all sent so everyone gets it in early aug. to prepare and that's when everyone will start worrying about school.

shleyaa says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 07-29-2008 at 09:58 PM   #3
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I recieved the McMaster University Orientation Guide 2008 as well as "Your Pocket Guide to Maccess Granted welcome week events and a couple of other stuff is that what you are talking about or is it something completely different?
Old 07-29-2008 at 11:55 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It's completely different.

It is apparent you haven't gotten the RCC or the Res Handbook -- I believe they will be coming in the next few weeks. You can always contact res admissions and ask (and then post on the forum and let others know).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-30-2008 at 11:45 AM   #5
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

not sure if you have the time, but here's the link to the 2007-08 residence handbook, the information are usually similar ever year. you can skim it to see what you will expect to get in your mail very soon.

MacEng says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 08-06-2008 at 10:46 PM   #6
lombard
Housing Assistant - Housing and Conference Services

Liked: 0 Times

You will receive the 2008/09 Residence Handbook on your assigned move in day. In previous years it was mailed to you.
Old 08-07-2008 at 12:15 PM   #7
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Wow...assuming that the contents of the Handbook remain the same, that is a spectacularly bad idea.

I mean, that book contained all the move-in routes and info, what to bring, what not to bring, the RCC, staff roles and responsibilities, mail/phone/internet info, and a ton of other things that you should know before arriving. Even if some of that went out ahead of time (like the move-in instructions), I can guarantee you that very few people are going to take the time out of their WW to read the RCC or other things contained within, whereas if they get it in the summer, there's a better chance they will. I really would love to know the logic behind that decision, even if that logic is "we screwed up and didn't have it ready on time to mail out", because right now that's about the only justification I can think of for doing it.
Old 08-07-2008 at 01:24 PM   #8
lombard
Housing Assistant - Housing and Conference Services

Regarding the Residence Handbook: Here are the logical justifications:
1. Most students are accessing the website. Please check out the housing website if you haven't done so lately. It has all the information including an interactive move-in map, what to bring etc. http://housing.mcmaster.
2. Orientation "stuff" is sent out in a mailing with this information as well.
3. Orientation during WW and Residence Hall meetings include RCC and other important info.
4. The Residence Handbook will be an easy reference guide once a student arrives in Rez, and hopefully residents will keep it by their bedside.
Old 08-07-2008 at 02:36 PM   #9
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I am familiar with the website, and agree that it has improved greatly in the past couple of years. I actually contributed a small part to the design of the interactive move-in map, too - I shot all the videos that are interspersed throughout it. However, I don't think it was ever intended to completely replace paper maps, since for most people it's a little difficult to bring a Flash animation along with them in a car as they're approaching campus. I know the routes are mostly signed and staffed, but most people wouldn't know that until arriving, and probably would want to have a map of where to go before they leave their homes.

It is true that the major points of the RCC are covered in the first floor meeting. However, in practice this usually focuses heavily on the alcohol policy, and there are lots of little things that either get glossed over or not touched on at all. I just don't think it's realistic to assume that a student will sit down and read the handbook during WW (or even after), easy reference or not - it seems to be enough of a challenge to get them to read it before arriving!

I also think there are some PR issues that must be considered here. It is true that all the information is on the website, and I would expect the vast majority of incoming students to be able to find it without issue. Parents, on the other hand, may be a different story. Yes, the general policy of Housing and Mac is that once students get there, they are "adults", and thus partly immune from parental oversight, but that's not the case just yet - going off to university and moving in to residence is very much a family affair for most students. I just think most parents (and students too, for that matter) would appreciate being able to sit down with a tangible book in their hands and read about what residence life is going to be like before getting there. Since the paper handbook is not actually being phased out in favour of the website (as a cost-saving measure, for example), I just see more benefit in sending it out early versus waiting until arrival to distribute them (unless they hope to save on the cost of mailing, but considering that other things are being sent anyway, I can't see that being a very compelling argument).

Incidentally, if any incoming IRC people are reading this, this kind of advocacy is what you're for. I realize that I'm now an old, irrelevant alumni, but I can't be the only one who thinks that this isn't the best idea :p
Old 08-07-2008 at 10:36 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I agree Pops! I'm actually shocked that they're not sending it in the mail...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-08-2008 at 06:57 AM   #11
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

and i was totally looking forward to getting another big package from mac. :( this kind of ruins the excitement.

Old 08-08-2008 at 08:46 AM   #12
Leraison

Really well argued Cippi! I agree heartily.
Old 08-08-2008 at 08:47 AM   #13
Leraison

Oh by the way, this link is broken:
http://housing.mcmaster.ca

Last edited by lorend : 08-09-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: link no longer broken...thanks to lorend.