MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Residence Vs Off Campus mfattal Residence & Housing 21 09-19-2010 01:52 AM
From off-campus to residence. _Luu_ Residence & Housing 9 01-12-2010 05:26 PM
DC++ On Campus (Not residence) Pay919 General Discussion 21 09-17-2009 05:16 PM
Best Residence on campus? kanishka Residence & Housing 39 07-10-2009 10:12 PM
How to Choose a Residence lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 9 05-29-2008 03:54 PM

Residence or Off Campus? You Choose

Residence or Off Campus? You Choose!

By SABRINA BRADEY, MACINSIDERS

As we enter the new year many first year students will be turning their attention to the idea of living arrangements for next year. Myriads of first year students spend their first year in one of McMasters 12 residences and then look for housing off campus.

Some of the questions you may be asking yourself are what is the price difference between residence and off campus? Many students move into a house thinking that it’s going to be cheaper for them but this really depends on several factors: how close are you to campus (sometimes it effects the price), what is the condition/ age of the house you intend on moving in to, do you cook/are you willing to learn/ can you budget your money?

LIVING OFF CAMPUS

Let’s look at my expenses as an example. I live very close to campus, less than 5 minutes away in fact and I pay 350.00 a month in rent for a 5 person house with two bathrooms, a kitchen, living room, laundry facilities and small storage shed. I pay roughly 10.00-12.00 a month for my share of the internet (we don’t have cable). The Hydro bill is every 2 months and that is usually about 65-70 dollars depending on the time of the year (higher in the summer because of the AC). The gas bill is 20-40 dollars depending on the time of the year (the gas bill is higher in the winter because our heating is run off of natural gas). Then there’s food: the amount I spend in a month on groceries and take out adds up to about 35-40 dollars a week.

Taking all of these examples and using the most expensive possibility I spend anywhere between 442.00 to 512.00 depending on whether or not there is a hydro bill due that month. In 8 months my living can total up to 4,092 dollars. This does not include personal expenses: entertainment, clothing, gifts, travel (I have to take the GO home), etc. Keep in mind that if you eat out a lot or buy expensive food items, have cable, etc your bills will pile up quickly.

HOUSE HUNTING

First: When you’re looking for a house in the new year remember two things: You do not have to rush to sign a lease right now. There will be places that are looking for renters in the summer, but you may not find a house that is completely empty for you and your future roomies to occupy; there may be boarders in there already.
Secondly: Your best friends do not make the best roommates. Yes you may have lived with them in residence but it’s a different experience living on the same floor vs. living in the same house. In a house you have to share common spaces that have to be cleaned by you, like bathrooms and kitchens. Pick who you live with carefully. You can try to figure out who you’d work best with by making note of how they keep their room in residence; no matter how much they promise that they’ll keep the tornado style mess to their own room I promise you that it most likely will not happen that way. See MacInsiders' article Surviving Your Roommates and Surviving Your Roommates pt 2 for tips on dealing with common issues.

When moving into a house you have to consider what condition it is in, and I don’t just mean whether or not it has bugs or not. The older a house is the harder it is to heat or cool which means your heating bills can get pretty high in the winter.

Your landlord is compelled to keep the house up to certain standards (See the 1997 Tennant Act and the Ontario Building Code) and it is your right to see that these are adhered to but if the landlord is showing the house while it's in bad condition the odds of them being willing to fix it up once they've locked you into a contract are slim. It's not worth the effort it would take you to fight the landlord on these issues so stick to houses that are in decent condition.

The condition of your house also affects the price of your rent. The rent in a student house tends to be cheaper on two main factors: its location in relation to the University and the condition it is in. While looking for a house in my first year two of my current roommates went to see a house that was $250.00 a month. Not only was the house far away from campus but it was a dump. You get what you pay for.

If you have the option, take your parents with you when you narrow it down to a house or two, they likely have more experience in looking for houses than you do. You do not want to live in a house that has hidden problems. Your parents have probably run into these things before and for once… your parents do know best.

If you cannot have your parents or someone experienced around to help you, here is a website that covers some common problems that you find with houses. Note that not all of these apply to student houses as you’re not actually buying the house but scroll down to where it begins with “Home Condition Inspection”. You can Google terms or simply ask “What are common problems with houses” and you find a litany of things to look out for. MacShare is also a great McMaster resource when you're looking for a student house as the homes are listed and rated by your fellow students who have lived there before.

LIVING IN RES

When thinking about residence you should consider the following:
1) Are you okay with the possibility of living with primarily first year students?
2) Are you okay with sharing living spaces (like bathrooms) with people you may not know?
3) If you prefer studying in your home (as opposed to a library or classroom) will the noise of others in close proximity bother you?
4) What is the cost and comfort difference?

1) 80% of Residence spots are reserved for first year
students. That being said there are some buildings (like Bates) where there tend to be more upper years. With residences like Bates and Keyes you can request to be with other upper years in an apartment style if that suits you. You can also request fellow upper years in traditional residence styles or just a single. As with any time you apply to residence, this is not guaranteed and you may not be placed where or with who you want.

2) In every residence except for Les Prince you’re almost guaranteed to share your bathroom with someone. Traditional stall style bathrooms are shared by a floor, which bothers some people. In a house you may still have to share a bathroom with someone but it’s going to be less people and hopefully someone you know. On the flip side, residence bathrooms are cleaned daily (mon-fri) whereas your home bathroom is between you and those you share it with. This also applies to kitchenettes in residence: Custodial staff will clean in there but they will not clean up for you (ie: your dishes, food remnants), if you like to cook this may be something to consider.

3) Residence can be noisy, even during exams, despite the efforts of CA’s. If you enjoy studying in your own comfy abode but cannot tolerate noise this may discourage you from living in residence. That being said, residence is not a free for all and so that doesn’t mean it will always be noisy but what it does mean is that you cannot predict the disturbances as well as you may be able to in a house. In a house there are less people to contend with and hopefully they are more considerate of your needs.

4) Cost and Comfort: We’ve already looked at an example of living off campus (other SOCS who are reading this, please, feel free to add your own examples to give a better representation), so what about residence? Let’s go with a traditional double room example and a regular sized meal plan.

As per the Housing and Conference Website (Click here for a list of Residence room fees) a Double Room (two occupants) is $4,550 for the year. Keep in mind that this includes your hydro usage, water, heating, etc. Your cheapest option in residence is a Triple Bunk/Loft Room (three occupants) at $3,805 and the most expensive option is Mary. E. Keyes Suite at $6,110.

On top of this is your meal plan. According to the Housing website (Click here for a list of Residence meal plan fees) the Regular meal plan is $2900 for a year, and that is only if it lasts you the entire year. The cheapest option for a traditional room (non-Bates or Keyes) occupant is the Light at $2500 and the most expensive is the Extra Large at $3300. Keep in mind that you have to have a meal plan in residence, there is no opt out option, and you may only have a reduced meal plan if you are living in Bates or Keyes because those residences offer kitchens inside the apartment.

Taking the Traditional Double room and the Regular meal plan you’re looking at $7,450 dollars for living on campus. Your cheapest option on campus is a Triple Bunk/Loft room with a light meal plan which comes up to 6,305 dollars. Keep in mind that if you are living in Bates or Keyes you can have a reduced meal plan but with that comes buying groceries.

Now comfort: this is very subjective and depends on the persons preferences. I lived in residence and did not regret my experience at all, however, I prefer living in a house because it offers me a privacy that residence did not. While living on campus everything is much closer to you, so if you prefer to sleep right till 8:00 for your 8:30 you can, that being said, residence life is not for everyone. I would suggest talking to others about their residence experience because everyone’s is different.

Just like in first year, you have to make an academic cut off in order to be given a residence spot. You must maintain a 5.0 sessional average in order to get and maintain a spot on the guaranteed list, if you fail to meet this requirement you are moved to the waiting list. The closer your average is to the 5.0 requirement the higher up you are on said list. As with first years, all allocations are subjected to the lottery system which means you may not get the residence or style of room that you selected. All of this information and more you can find on the Housing and Conference Website.

Check out some of MacInsiders' related articles on student houses and residence:
The Pros and Cons to each of McMasters 12 Residences
How to Deal with Creepy Crawlies
Article Rewind: Off-Campus Living
How to Choose a Residence
Off Campus Housing Hunt Begins

Also search the Off Campus and Residence Living Forum for more articles including Survival Guides for both Off Campus and Residence!
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 01-01-2009 at 07:22 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
Great article!

I'd agree that both options have their pros and cons.. I lived in residence in my second year and it was verry different from the experience you have in first year. The single room was nice but it was very different living with the first year demographic.

Third year and fourth year have been off-campus for me. I cannot say that I've been uber pleased with my house.. house mate problems + landlord problems.. but it's all definitely an interesting experience. And off-campus is definitely cheaper than residence!! Just think, each weekend you'll save $8 by not getting one of those waffles ahaha

and WOAAAH old photo.. that second one was from my first year! <3 our whidden bunch!

Just to make the point again to all those who are moving off-campus or those who have experienced off campus, check out macSHARE.. it's great for getting fellow student opinions on their housing experience. Also, write reviews if you can because it is really helpful!

Last edited by temara.brown : 01-01-2009 at 07:25 PM.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-01-2009 at 07:53 PM   #3
J-Met
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Prospective Student

Liked: 136 Times
Just a quick question. In general, do landlords require you to sign a full year lease (a.k.a you pay for the summer months even if you don't use them?) or do you only have to pay for the 8 months you are actually living there?
Old 01-01-2009 at 08:29 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

You can find options where 8th month leases are available... but all the ones I encountered when looking last time were 12 months... but even still you can get a 12 month lease and then sublet in the summer!

Old 01-01-2009 at 08:33 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Depends on the landlord J-Met. Mine is a 12 month lease but there are 8 month leases.

Old 01-01-2009 at 08:48 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
I live off campus and I'm first year. I'm off campus because I handed it my residence application one day late. I didn't know that you had to apply for residence before even deciding whether to go to the school or not... pretty dumb.

Anyway, I'm with six second year students. The guy I'm renting the room from had actually leased the room himself, and was unable to get out of it when he realized he just failed commerce. He went to York instead (I know, it's like getting screwed over twice). He sublet it to me... so I never actually met our land lord, who apparently is a douche.

We each have jobs that we have to do. Mine is cleaning the bathroom, which is actually easier than I thought.

Things I noticed from being off campus is that you really don't get distracted as easily as you do in residence (well, from being at my friends places). I did better than my friends who are in the same program as me that had around the same marks as me in high school this term.

Also, just as a precaution, start looking earlier than later. A lot of the houses are in really crap condition, and some of the ones I visited looked like they were on the brink of collapsing at some parts. Definitely look at the houses before signing anything.
Old 01-01-2009 at 08:52 PM   #7
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

start looking nowish! the macinsiders marketplace has some ads up! =)
Old 01-01-2009 at 09:33 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
To my knowledge most landlords require a 12 month lease. I have only known one person in four years with an 8 month lease.

I don't approve of the article because I'm not in the picture.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-01-2009 at 09:38 PM   #9
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Well then you can either photoshop your sorry rear into it (and you know who out of it) or you can convince the others to stand outside the house in Jan and take a picture!

Old 01-01-2009 at 10:26 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 473 Times
I'm in second year and I decided to live in residence again. I like being on campus and not having to cook anything. I have a single and the residence is mostly first years so it can be kind of lonely and boring not living with anyone. I don't mind the public style washroom as much as I thought I would. It's pretty good imo. I have my own space, on campus and it actually isn't loud which surprised me. Maybe I just adjusted to it but I feel like my residence last year was much louder.

My only issue with living in residence for a second year is cost. I'm sure I could have found something cheaper off-campus.

I do have a slight correction to make to the article, residences are NOT loud during exam time. They strictly enforce 22 hour quiet hours during the exam period and there is a fine if you don't follow these rules. People don't want to fork out cash, and people have studying to do themselves. I never had a problem with noise during exams. This year I didn't hear even one sound the entire time.
Old 01-01-2009 at 10:48 PM   #11
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I do have a slight correction to make to the article, residences are NOT loud during exam time. They strictly enforce 22 hour quiet hours during the exam period and there is a fine if you don't follow these rules. People don't want to fork out cash, and people have studying to do themselves. I never had a problem with noise during exams. This year I didn't hear even one sound the entire time.
I lived in residence for a year and then spent the majority of my second year in another one because my boyfriend lived there and I could never study in a residence because to me, and I'm not the only one, they are loud. Even during exam time. CA's can only do so much, they have their own exams to worry about after all. I've had several fire alarms pulled during exam times, you're just fortunate... or I'm really unfortunate.

Old 01-01-2009 at 10:50 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Yup, I had the same experience.

If you were writing an exam at the last time on the last day anyone who started celebrating got loud...

I don't like to hear partying and yelling when I'm trying to study!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-02-2009 at 05:17 PM   #13
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
I'm in first year and decided to live off-campus. (I live in an apartment with a friend, the rent total is 500 - including hydro and cable, and air conditioning in the summer. We each pay 250) It's not a huge apartment, maybe double the size of a typical res room so it's fine. It's really quiet and it's about 10 minutes from Mac by bus.

We spend about 250 a month on food. We don't drink or smoke so we don't blow on money on that... mostly on boxes of soda haha. Occasionally we eat out or go to movies, which can add up...

Pretty sure it works out to be cheaper than res, plus you don't have people partying until wee hours of the morning and annoying you half to death. I've talked to some people in res, and some talk about how they never get to sleep until 2-3 in the morning. Are you kidding? I go to bed on average 11-12, because I have lots of 8:30 AM classes. I don't think I would've done as well as I did this past term if I lived on res, that's for sure.

Plus living on my own boosts my sense of responsibility, big time. I've never really had to worry about rent, groceries or cleaning before, and well now I do.
Old 01-03-2009 at 01:49 AM   #14
Stan
Program: Multimedia and Economics
Residence: Brandon Hall 306 (06-07), Brandon Hall 237 (07-08), Brandon Hall 626 (08-09), Brandon Hall 7??(09-10

Liked: 10 Times
Living off campus or residence are both an interesting experience and have their pros and cons. After living in res for the past three (almost three years, due to brandon fire) and then living off campus you immediately notice the difference in timing to get up, meals, facilities, etc. I guess the best part of living off campus is that there is no fire alarms, cheaper than res. I guess with living in residence, there is that sense of security, internet not getting cutoff if bandwidth reached (just slows down for 4-6hrs), easy to get meals, go to the library, more involved in extracurriculars (as everything is within a 5-10 minute walk from res).
Old 01-04-2009 at 07:30 PM   #15
MacEng
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Year: Fifth
Residence: nuts swinging, swinging my nuts

Liked: 125 Times
Hey Sabrina and Danielle thanks for giving us a tour of your house today

Sincerely, Piotr and Eng Co.

Article Tools