MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
career option search? Chevalier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-05-2011 08:02 PM
Payment Option? Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-12-2010 12:36 PM
OSAP payment option _Luu_ Financial Aid 2 07-03-2010 10:50 PM
Not using as scholarship as funding option Juicebox First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-15-2009 02:52 PM
Changing Second Year Eng Option Kurt_ Academics 2 06-04-2009 01:05 PM

residence option

Old 05-11-2014 at 03:39 PM   #1
Nabeel

Liked: 0 Times

residence option
Hey everyone,

so just a quick question about the non alcoholic floors option in residence: I am a muslim and therefore do not drink or think about drinking, same goes for partying, so picking this non alcoholic option is def a must for me.

But what kind of people will I typically find on that floor? muslims? more studious people? Does alcohol still make its way to these floors anyways? and is the outcome the same for other universities that offer this option like Western?

thanks!
Old 05-11-2014 at 05:00 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

From past experiences the alcohol-free floors wind up becoming alcohol floors. Underage drinking is obviously not allowed on any floor, but it still happens (can speak from experience). That being said, there are people who do not drink and no one will pressure you into drinking.

Western has a reputation for being a party school, but that's all I can say about it.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 05-11-2014 at 05:42 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

There will be alcohol and parties on every floor, some moreso than others depending on the people. Not wanting to be surrounded by parties isn't exclusive to Muslims, so no, it's not primarily Muslims (or any other group). I didn't find it to be any different in terms of student background than any other floor.
Not all Muslims choose not to drink or party either.

There tends to be less drinking and whatnot on the non-alcohol floors, but some of the people who choose these floors simply do so because they don't want to be surrounded by parties all the time, and sometimes people get assigned rooms on designated floors even though they didn't choose it, just because all of the other rooms were filled up.

Like James said, people won't try to force you into drinking - for the most part, people are pretty respectful. You might come across an occasional jackass, but that's just part of life
Partying doesn't necessarily equate to drinking. I've been to many parties where I didn't drink - I'll typically have water or sometimes orange juice. It's nice to socialize with people, and I was never pressured to drink. But if you don't want to socialize that's fine too - there were some people on my floor that I almost never saw.

Just as others don't typically try to force you to drink, you can't force people not to drink. You should be aware that there will be alcohol in every residence building in every university, and if you're not okay with that, then residence probably isn't a good option for you.