MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Few Residence Questions...... shes-a-diva* Residence & Housing 21 01-19-2010 07:13 AM
Bates Residence Questions Daman K Bates Forum 4 09-03-2009 03:45 PM
Grading System kenneth526 Academics 7 01-26-2009 02:55 PM

Residence System Questions.

Old 05-13-2009 at 06:27 PM   #1
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Residence System Questions.
Les Prince Hall is my fav from what I've seen but I've read this on a different forum

Quote:
to the person who put a lot of double with washroom picks... you might wanna change that up. they have every type of room available as a choice for each residence even though that type of room doesn't exist in the building. sometimes they do but they are C.A/IRC rooms. The only rooms with a washroom for sure are Les Prince, other than that they don't exist or there is such a low chance of getting them you might as well change your preferences.

You should change your preferences to just doubles/singles not double/singles with washrooms. This is because if you're picked soon enough by the computer to get one of your picks, it will pick one which doesn't exist then randomly assign you... maybe to a triple.
Is there any truth to this? Because I put down double w/washroom, and single w/ washroom as my first 2 choices b/c I like Les Prince.

What do you think I should put for my 3rd preference? Just "double" I'm guessing?

Here's whats going into my decicion making so far.
  • Love/want Les Prince.
  • Liked one of the buildings overlooking the stadium. I think it was Woodstock Hall, or Hedden Hall.
  • Can't stand tiny rooms with tiny beds and bunk beds, especially since I'm 6'5" tall, so I'd need like 2 of those beds to fit in on.
  • Want the smallest ppl-to-washroom ratio possible, but don't want an apartment (not like I'd get it anyway).

Comments/Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance
Old 05-13-2009 at 07:22 PM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Hi, I've stayed in both Woodstock Hall (It overlooks the stadium) and Les Prince, and both residences are amazing. Don't listen to whoever you quoted. The residence system was changed this year to prevent the problem that he mentioned. Now you don't pick residences, but instead just pick room types.

You should put your choices as double w/ washroom, single w/ washroom, and then double w/o washroom. You also have the option to put up to two more selections, so feel free to mix in Single without washroom as well. This way you're pretty much covered for anything. If you get lucky with the lottery, you'll end up in Les Prince with a double/single with a washroom; otherwise you'll get a double/single without a washroom, and that seems to be fine with you.

As far as washroom ratios, I got lucky when I was in Woodstock, because my floor had 8 guys and like 46 girls. So the washrooms for us were basically private.

Juicebox says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 05-13-2009 at 07:50 PM   #3
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Hi, I've stayed in both Woodstock Hall (It overlooks the stadium) and Les Prince, and both residences are amazing. Don't listen to whoever you quoted. The residence system was changed this year to prevent the problem that he mentioned. Now you don't pick residences, but instead just pick room types.

You should put your choices as double w/ washroom, single w/ washroom, and then double w/o washroom. You also have the option to put up to two more selections, so feel free to mix in Single without washroom as well. This way you're pretty much covered for anything. If you get lucky with the lottery, you'll end up in Les Prince with a double/single with a washroom; otherwise you'll get a double/single without a washroom, and that seems to be fine with you.

As far as washroom ratios, I got lucky when I was in Woodstock, because my floor had 8 guys and like 46 girls. So the washrooms for us were basically private.
Thanks for the heads up, however the person I quoted seems to be aware of this years system, thats why I got a bit worried. Basically he is saying that the double room w/ washroom option is applied to all residences by the computer, but it only exists in Les Prince, so if the computer selects Woodstock lets say, it would say DOES NOT EXIST or something, and move me to my second pick or something like that.
Old 05-13-2009 at 07:59 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

If they picked only single w/ washroom and double w/ washroom as their choices they could potentially get stuck with something they didn't want couldn't they?

I mean there's only so many spaces in Les Prince and it will depend on the lottery weather or not he gets in there. As he was told the only building where double w/ washroom actually exists is in Les Prince.

If you're in first year you're not likely going to get a single room unless you have an average 95% or over in which case you would be guaranteed a single room. If you don't have that kind of an average I don't think it's useful to list single as one of your choices.

If you're that tall you obviously need a bed accommodation type that will fit your size so perhaps you should contact someone about that if you really feel it will be a problem for you based on the bed sizes you've seen.

Your best option outside of Les Prince for having the washroom situation you're looking for is Hedden. Hedden has single occupancy washrooms throughout the building.

All the other traditional style residences I believe have public style washrooms. That said I lived in Whidden this past year with that type of system and I never really had a problem. The washrooms were never really crowded and I could always get one of the showers/stalls whenever I pleased. The first floor/basement of Whidden have the single occupancy washrooms like Hedden though.

It's a shame you can't pick buildings anymore because that would be the easiest way to try and get the kind of accommodation you're looking for. Unfortunately with the new system and only being able to pick room types you can't pick the buildings with the kind of washrooms you're looking for.

Hopefully the lottery works out for you.

Juicebox says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 05-13-2009 at 09:09 PM   #5
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

Although most buildings do not have rooms with washrooms, there are sometimes a few rooms with it. For example, Matthews has 5 rooms with washrooms. 2 of them are for the HCA and HPA, and the other three are double rooms. I was lucky enough to get one of these last year. I had lived in the building in first year and didn't realize they existed until second year.
There is also a 5 person suite in Matthews that most people don't know about.
So there are exceptions out there even though the building is told to be single, double or triple rooms without washrooms.
Old 05-13-2009 at 09:57 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Same for Edwards, there are 2 rooms with washroom in them. One of the rooms is supposed to be a Don's room but I guess they decided not to make it one? It has a kitchen, washroom, "living" area and two "bedrooms". One of the bedrooms is separated by a curtain o.O
Old 05-14-2009 at 07:31 AM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Every residence except for the apartment style ones have a single with washroom or a double with washroom... or at least most do. You may love/want Les Prince now, however, if you end up in a different residence you'll need to learn to adapt. You're not going to love and get everything you want. You're in university now. Time to face reality. Also, most of the rooms in residence aren't huge. You get used to it. They do have bed extenders for those who are 6'2" or more I believe although I haven't heard that it greatly helps. I hated residence in first year. Why? Because my expectations were too high. Lower your expectations a bit and you'll love wherever you end up a whole lot more. For instance, Whidden is the residence almost no one chooses for first choice but it becomes everyone's fave after they've spent 8 months there. If you luck out with Les Prince that's great though =)
Old 05-14-2009 at 07:52 AM   #8
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Same for Edwards, there are 2 rooms with washroom in them. One of the rooms is supposed to be a Don's room but I guess they decided not to make it one? It has a kitchen, washroom, "living" area and two "bedrooms". One of the bedrooms is separated by a curtain o.O
That used to be the residence managers apartment. Now the residence manager for Edwards (and Les Prince as well) lives in Les Prince.
Old 05-14-2009 at 09:12 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
Les Prince Hall is my fav from what I've seen but I've read this on a different forum
I actually just stayed in Les Prince this past weekend for a conference, and I wasn't really a fan. At this point, I've either stayed in, and/or had friends who lived in every single res on campus.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-14-2009 at 05:24 PM   #10
Juicebox

Is there really a reason to fill in all 5 selections on the applications as opposed to the top 3? Will it help weed out the ones that I don't want for sure, like a triple or quad? Aka filling up all 5 without selecting triple or quad.
Old 05-14-2009 at 06:38 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
Is there really a reason to fill in all 5 selections on the applications as opposed to the top 3? Will it help weed out the ones that I don't want for sure, like a triple or quad? Aka filling up all 5 without selecting triple or quad.
Not sure if this lottery works in this fashion, but normal lotteries usually go down the list. So yes, if you have 5 choices, it will go through all of them before selecting triple or quads.