MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Used Books = Save Money! Chad Buying Textbooks (new/used) & Courseware Tips 27 11-14-2016 01:47 AM
Save money on textbooks: save for later lorend Academics 3 01-30-2010 03:43 PM
save library searches! KristaG General Discussion 9 03-03-2008 12:30 PM
A New Year's Resolution lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-01-2008 12:18 PM

Resolution: Save The Environment!

Resolution: Save The Environment!

DANIELLE LORENZ, MACINSIDERS. I find that I always get a little bit preachy at this time of the year. And since I have all (or almost all...I have an overlord I must report to but he hasn’t had an issue with any of the stuff I’ve submitted thus far) of the control in regards to articles for MI, I’m going to tell you what I think one of your resolutions for 2008 should be: doing your part to help the environment.

We were taught to reduce, reuse, and recycle in elementary school. We are encouraged to walk or bike instead of taking a car, or if we really needed to do so to carpool or take public transit. When we brush our teeth we’ve been told to use a cup, in order to conserve water; and to take a shower instead of having a bath for the same purpose. If you’re not doing these, start, damn it. But, there are still plenty of things you can do. I’m going to give you some suggestions for some of the easier ones. Coincidentally, all of these help save some of your hard-earned, university student dollars. I think that’s a good incentive as well.

When your current incandescent light bulbs burn out, replace them with the energy-efficient compact fluorescent ones. Though they cost more to buy, they last a hell of a lot longer, and use 70% less energy. Want more things you can do with your lighting fixtures? A seemingly obvious thing to do is also turn off the lights when you’re no longer in the room. This will save you some cash on your electricity bill as well. But the biggest energy drainers in the home are the ones that create heat. Everyone I know seems to over-look the dryer. Hang-dry as many things as you can (buy a rope and string it up someplace, or get some clothes horses), and only use the dryer for essentials. This will again save you money, as well as help out the environment. Some hidden culprits that steal electricity are items that you leave in but aren’t using, such as your computer, hair dryer, hair straightener, stereo etc. If you’re not using them, turn them off, or unplug them (as appropriate to each appliance).

What else can you do in your home? One thing is to adjust your thermostat. If you lower your heat by only two degrees in the winter, it will not only save you energy (and thus $$), but it too will help out the planet. Too cold? Put on an extra sweater. A lot of heat (especially in older buildings [AKA dilapidated student housing]) ends up escaping, which in turn causes you to raise the thermostat, and also spend more money. The best thing one can do about this is to buy new windows. If you’re not in a position to do this (as I’m sure most of us aren’t and our landlords are unwilling), you can buy some window insulation covers from the Dollarstore. They are clear and look like plastic wrap, but they keep the heat in. Another thing that helps to keep in your heat is to close your blinds; in doing so you help to keep your house warm.

When you go to the grocery store, buy as local as possible. Ontario produces a lot of produce, meats, dairy, and breads, so try and purchase them. The further away an item is, the more fuels it will use to ship, which will have a detrimental effect on the atmosphere. Buying locally helps to eliminate this. There is a farmer’s market in downtown Hamilton every weekend, and often, their prices are cheaper than corporate grocery stores. Also while you’re doing your shopping, bring reusable bags; this will prevent the creation of the non-biodegradable plastic bag.

I don’t think any of the things I mentioned here are all that difficult to do. They are inexpensive (or actually help you save money), and don’t even require that much effort. Remember (see, here comes the preaching), that we got ourselves into this mess, and if we continue future generations will have to deal with our mistakes. There is no Earth II (also called Bob). Need more of an incentive? Watch An Inconvenient Truth, and Planet Earth, then throw in a few episodes of Captain Planet for good measure. I know I wanted to be a Planeteer when I got older.

Side note: there is a motion to bring back Captain Planet. If you want more info, check out these websites: http://www.turner.com/planet/index_splash.html and http://captainplanetfoundati on.org/

I find that I always get a little bit preachy at this time of the year. And since I have all (or almost all...I have an overlord I must report to but he hasn’t had an issue with any of the stuff I’ve submitted thus far) of the control in regards to articles for MI, I’m going to tell you what I think one of your resolutions for 2008 should be: doing your part to help the environment.

We were taught to reduce, reuse, and recycle in elementary school. We are encouraged to walk or bike instead of taking a car, or if we really needed to do so to carpool or take public transit. When we brush our teeth we’ve been told to use a cup, in order to conserve water; and to take a shower instead of having a bath for the same purpose. If you’re not doing these, start, damn it. But, there are still plenty of things you can do. I’m going to give you some suggestions for some of the easier ones. Coincidentally, all of these help save some of your hard-earned, university student dollars. I think that’s a good incentive as well.

When your current incandescent light bulbs burn out, replace them with the energy-efficient compact fluorescent ones. Though they cost more to buy, they last a hell of a lot longer, and use 70% less energy. Want more things you can do with your lighting fixtures? A seemingly obvious thing to do is also turn off the lights when you’re no longer in the room. This will save you some cash on your electricity bill as well. But the biggest energy drainers in the home are the ones that create heat. Everyone I know seems to over-look the dryer. Hang-dry as many things as you can (buy a rope and string it up someplace, or get some clothes horses), and only use the dryer for essentials. This will again save you money, as well as help out the environment. Some hidden culprits that steal electricity are items that you leave in but aren’t using, such as your computer, hair dryer, hair straightener, stereo etc. If you’re not using them, turn them off, or unplug them (as appropriate to each appliance).

What else can you do in your home? One thing is to adjust your thermostat. If you lower your heat by only two degrees in the winter, it will not only save you energy (and thus $$), but it too will help out the planet. Too cold? Put on an extra sweater. A lot of heat (especially in older buildings [AKA dilapidated student housing]) ends up escaping, which in turn causes you to raise the thermostat, and also spend more money. The best thing one can do about this is to buy new windows. If you’re not in a position to do this (as I’m sure most of us aren’t and our landlords are unwilling), you can buy some window insulation covers from the Dollarstore. They are clear and look like plastic wrap, but they keep the heat in. Another thing that helps to keep in your heat is to close your blinds; in doing so you help to keep your house warm.

When you go to the grocery store, buy as local as possible. Ontario produces a lot of produce, meats, dairy, and breads, so try and purchase them. The further away an item is, the more fuels it will use to ship, which will have a detrimental effect on the atmosphere. Buying locally helps to eliminate this. There is a farmer’s market in downtown Hamilton every weekend, and often, their prices are cheaper than corporate grocery stores. Also while you’re doing your shopping, bring reusable bags; this will prevent the creation of the non-biodegradable plastic bag.

I don’t think any of the things I mentioned here are all that difficult to do. They are inexpensive (or actually help you save money), and don’t even require that much effort. Remember (see, here comes the preaching), that we got ourselves into this mess, and if we continue future generations will have to deal with our mistakes. There is no Earth II (also called Bob). Need more of an incentive? Watch An Inconvenient Truth, and Planet Earth, then throw in a few episodes of Captain Planet for good measure. I know I wanted to be a Planeteer when I got older.

Side note: there is a motion to bring back Captain Planet. If you want more info, check out these websites: http://www.turner.com/planet/index_splash.html and http://captainplanetfoundati on.org/

Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post

Article Tools