MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Ratification Vote Result - Strike Over PTGregD MacInsiders Announcements 14 11-10-2009 01:14 AM
CUPE expects a "no" vote on offer Kathy2 General Discussion 35 11-09-2009 11:21 PM
CUPE Members to vote on offer previously reject by the bargaining team DannyV General Discussion 13 11-05-2009 07:05 AM
Monday Strike Update Chad MacInsiders Announcements 12 11-02-2009 08:44 AM
Vote update! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-29-2007 12:14 AM

Results of the Final Offer Vote: Strike Update

Old 09-04-2009 at 10:35 AM   #15
Burnett

Liked: 1 Time
I was at Mac yesterday around 1:30 PM and there was literally no line for OSAP. They said that next week will be a zoo, apparently.

Old 09-04-2009 at 10:55 AM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnett View Post
I was at Mac yesterday around 1:30 PM and there was literally no line for OSAP. They said that next week will be a zoo, apparently.
Well yes, because all the first years will have arrived on campus too. Plus if they do go on strike, ohhh boy.

Old 09-04-2009 at 11:14 AM   #17
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Well yes, because all the first years will have arrived on campus too. Plus if they do go on strike, ohhh boy.
i was wondering, i already did the payment in full which was due sept.1. When is our osap deductible due?

Old 09-04-2009 at 01:13 PM   #18
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times
I can't really see the OSAP lines being worse in the case of a strike. I remember being told that the people working the OSAP pick-up were from the National Student Loans Service. Pretty sure they aren't staff from McMaster but someone correct me if I am wrong.

The line probably will be insane next week, but only because so many students will have just arrived on campus. Unfortunately my OSAP was put on hold until Sept. 10 so I will likely have a looong line-up to look forward to.

I don't see how this strike would affect students much, since classes will still be on and only some of the staff would strike. It's the first week of September, students should be fully registered by now and we have had plenty of warning to get things together. One of the only things that would really affect students is if there's less Titles staff.

adrian, dukeb like this.

Old 09-04-2009 at 01:41 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ.MVP View Post
i was wondering, i already did the payment in full which was due sept.1. When is our osap deductible due?
It's due whenever the last day for OSAP pick up is. The last day is September 15th, they will probably extend it like last year, but it's safer if you just pick it up before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilySusie View Post
I can't really see the OSAP lines being worse in the case of a strike. I remember being told that the people working the OSAP pick-up were from the National Student Loans Service. Pretty sure they aren't staff from McMaster but someone correct me if I am wrong.

The line probably will be insane next week, but only because so many students will have just arrived on campus. Unfortunately my OSAP was put on hold until Sept. 10 so I will likely have a looong line-up to look forward to.

I don't see how this strike would affect students much, since classes will still be on and only some of the staff would strike. It's the first week of September, students should be fully registered by now and we have had plenty of warning to get things together. One of the only things that would really affect students is if there's less Titles staff.
My OSAP is put on hold until September 10 as well. It doesn't mean you can't go and pick it up. They put the release day on the forms itself, so I signed off on everything but my money won't be released until September 10.

EmilySusie says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Old 09-04-2009 at 03:31 PM   #20
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
My OSAP is put on hold until September 10 as well. It doesn't mean you can't go and pick it up. They put the release day on the forms itself, so I signed off on everything but my money won't be released until September 10.

Oooh I didn't know that. I though they needed the time to change my documents or whatever. Excellent, I'll be picking up my OSAP early this year for once.

Old 09-04-2009 at 04:42 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarch View Post
Oooh I didn't know that. I though they needed the time to change my documents or whatever. Excellent, I'll be picking up my OSAP early this year for once.
Before you actually do, check when your OSAP was issued via the OSAP website. This is because:

Quote:
Confirm that your funding is onsite at McMaster using the following dates:
Loans issued by August 16th are ready for pick up on or after August 24th

Loans issued by August 23rd are ready for pick up on or after August 31st

Loans issued by August 30th are ready for pick up on or after September 8th
Loans issued by September 6th are ready for pick up on or after September 14th

Old 09-04-2009 at 05:49 PM   #22
hello395

When I checked my osap application, under 'total funding issued' it tells me that the negotiable date is september 10th. So does that mean that i can't pick up my osap until then? Or can I actually go and pick it up tomorrow or anytime before sept. 10?

Old 09-04-2009 at 05:52 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
When I checked my osap application, under 'total funding issued' it tells me that the negotiable date is september 10th. So does that mean that i can't pick up my osap until then? Or can I actually go and pick it up tomorrow or anytime before sept. 10?
When you go to check your status at the bottom of the page where the entitlement table is you don't see "Loans Issued"?

Old 09-04-2009 at 05:54 PM   #24
Duarch

Mine says loans issued: XXXXXX
NEGOTIABLE DATE: SEPTEMBER 10*

And then
*[SIZE=BASEFONT]* This loan instalment cannot be released until after the negotiable date. If you are attending an institution in Canada, you cannot pick up your loan document until that date. If you are attending an institution outside Canada and you have already received your loan document in the mail, you cannot negotiate it until that date. [/size]

Old 09-04-2009 at 05:55 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

And then
*[SIZE=BASEFONT]* This loan instalment cannot be released until after the negotiable date. If you are attending an institution in Canada, you cannot pick up your loan document until that date. If you are attending an institution outside Canada and you have already received your loan document in the mail, you cannot negotiate it until that date. [/size]
Hmmm, not sure then. Mine actually gave a "Loans Issued" day. But when I went to pick up my OSAP they postponed the release to September 10.

Old 09-04-2009 at 06:01 PM   #26
Duarch

After I changed some OSAP information, I got a letter with a date for September 7th, but then I got ANOTHER letter with a lower OSAP (lower than the one I currently have online) without a date. So... I don't know what the hell is going on with mine. I'll have to talk to the financial aid people.

I'll probably pick mine up on the 10th just to be safe. Don't want to stand in like for 3 hours for nothing!

Old 09-04-2009 at 06:02 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
After I changed some OSAP information, I got a letter with a date for September 7th, but then I got ANOTHER letter with a lower OSAP (lower than the one I currently have online) without a date. So... I don't know what the hell is going on with mine. I'll have to talk to the financial aid people.

I'll probably pick mine up on the 10th just to be safe. Don't want to stand in like for 3 hours for nothing!
Yeah, definitively give a call on Tuesday (hopefully there won't be a strike).

Old 09-04-2009 at 06:07 PM   #28
hello395

Quote:

And then
Mine says the same thing. But for the 2009/2010 Academic year, the date the amount of my loan was issued says aug. 27. But then it also says the negotiable date as sept 10 all of the above in red also.

Old 09-04-2009 at 06:09 PM   #29
hello395

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Hmmm, not sure then. Mine actually gave a "Loans Issued" day. But when I went to pick up my OSAP they postponed the release to September 10.
So you weren't able to pick up your loan documents?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search