MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retaking a course noghi Academics 3 07-29-2010 06:03 AM
Retaking a course in high school Relyt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-15-2010 08:14 PM
Retaking a course but it isn't offered noghi Academics 8 06-15-2010 07:38 PM
Point of Retaking Course MSS12 Academics 15 06-10-2009 05:38 PM
Grade calculation after retaking a course MSS12 Academics 6 05-30-2009 05:04 AM

Retaking Failed Course

Old 08-04-2010 at 10:23 AM   #1
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Retaking Failed Course
Alright, so I have no idea about this because I've never worried about failing a course before... but some things came up this summer that distracted me from focusing on a summer elective.

If I fail this summer course, it shows as a fail on my transcript? But if I re-take this same course either during the school year or next summer... will that fail be changed to the new grade I get in the course? Or will it always show an F on the transcript?
Old 08-04-2010 at 10:47 AM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I'm pretty sure the 'fail' stays on your transcript forever. If you repeat it, the course would just show up twice on your transcript, listed with different dates and hopefully different marks.
Old 08-04-2010 at 10:50 AM   #3
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times

I believe it will still show that you failed the course. Sucks that it still counts towards your CA
Old 08-04-2010 at 10:52 AM   #4
Charbs

I Know :( ... I've never failed a course ever in my entire educational career. and now I'm stressed. I want to just at least pass it, but I don't even know if that's possible. I'm pretty sure I would have to get like a 90% on the final tomorrow just to pass with a low 50
Old 08-04-2010 at 10:55 AM   #5
Charbs

found the answer... hate trying to find info on Mac website...but for future reference for others....

Quote:
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which credit has been obtained a number of times, with the exception of the students in the Faculty of Business who may only repeat courses which they have failed. The grades for all attempts appear on the transcript and enter into the computation of the Cumulative Average. However, only one successful attempt will enter into the computation of credit earned towards your degree.
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:00 AM   #6
Ace0fSpades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbs View Post
However, only one successful attempt will enter into the computation of credit earned towards your degree.
In other words you might be shy 1 credit for your degree as the two courses will count as one credit
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:01 AM   #7
Charbs

how much of an effect would 1 failed course have on a 9.4 CA from 1st year? (and I got a 9 on my Spring course too)

so basically... 9.4 CA )1st year)... + 9 (spring term) and then a fail from summer term?

ugh
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:02 AM   #8
Charbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0fSpades View Post
In other words you might be shy 1 credit for your degree as the two courses will count as one credit

I think I would be ok? Because I was taking the electives in the summer so I didn't have to do them later, but if I retake it later I'll get the 3 credits... so it will work out?
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:07 AM   #9
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
how much of an effect would 1 failed course have on a 9.4 CA from 1st year? (and I got a 9 on my Spring course too)

so basically... 9.4 CA )1st year)... + 9 (spring term) and then a fail from summer term?

ugh
Depends on how many units each is worth.

e.g.,

FIRST YEAR: if it's 30 units, 9.4 x 30 units = 282
SPRING: if it's 3 units, 9 x 3 units = + 27
SUMMER: if it's 3 units, 0 x 3 units = + 0
SUM = 282+27+0 = 309
AVERAGE = 309/ (30+3+3) = 8.58, which is fairly significant drop =/...
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:15 AM   #10
Charbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
Depends on how many units each is worth.

e.g.,

FIRST YEAR: if it's 30 units, 9.4 x 30 units = 282
SPRING: if it's 3 units, 9 x 3 units = + 27
SUMMER: if it's 3 units, 0 x 3 units = + 0
SUM = 282+27+0 = 309
AVERAGE = 309/ (30+3+3) = 8.58, which is fairly significant drop =/...

It actually ends up worse at 8.06 because first year Nursing is only 28 units

gah... hate life right now... I have figured out that going into the exam without participation marks I am sitting only at 22%... so I need to get like a 75% on the final tomorrow to pass with a 51. My particpation won't count for much, I missed half the quizzes :(
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:17 AM   #11
Ace0fSpades

Quote:
I think I would be ok? Because I was taking the electives in the summer so I didn't have to do them later, but if I retake it later I'll get the 3 credits... so it will work out?
O yeh you're ok Im just saying if you retook a course during the school year but didn't take an extra one in summer you'll end up one credit shy of a degree
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:18 AM   #12
Charbs

really.. either way my CA is screwed... but if it's gonna be screwed anyways, I'd rather just pass the class now and not have to have wasted the money taking it this summer, and wasted the time. ... but, if I retake it later, will that end up helping my CA at all? If I end up with a good grade in it?
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:20 AM   #13
Ace0fSpades

Yeah it will its just like taking another course the only difference is you will only get one credit. Anything above what your average is will increase your final average ... unfortunately not by a lot if you get a 12 it'll only go up to 8.36

Last edited by Ace0fSpades : 08-04-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:22 AM   #14
Charbs

yeah, well he's posting the participation marks later today, so at that point I'll have a better idea if it's a lost cause... :( ... the course isn't offered during this school year, which is fine anyways because I'm overloading by an elective already... hoping it would be offered during summer next year or something...

Thanks for the help