Returning the Favour on Twitter.

Old 06-03-2010 at 07:10 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedolson View Post
And I am getting to know a few people that I would probably never go out and meet. So this is a good experiment I would say. Great for networking!
We were actually talking about that at work today. I've built my network a lot in the past couple weeks, and it'll benefit me a lot come September when I start my research. If anyone is interested in following me, by the way, I'm @daniellelorenz.

Speaking of the power of Twitter, we're looking into buying lucky bamboo for an event we're having at work. So I asked around Twitter (specifically @ikea, @ikeafans and @ikealiving) to see if the IKEA locations close to my work (North York and Etobicoke) are carrying them. One person tweeted me back with the UPC codes, and another tweeted back on how to find it on their website (which I couldn't do initially). Awesome.

I'm surprised you're not organizing a Tweetup of some sort, Dolson.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 06-03-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2010 at 07:30 PM   #32
stevedolson
NOT FUNNY IN THE LEAST

Liked: 2 Times

Haha Danielle that is awesome. Twitter is good for questions and answers.

What do you mean by Tweetup? haha I am not an expert yet, I don't know the lingo
Old 06-03-2010 at 07:45 PM   #33
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Haha. Oops.

Tweetup = meetup with Twitter peeps: http://www.urbandictionary.c om/def...&defid=3639937

NASA is having one on Saturday: http://www.nasa.gov/connect/tweetup.html
How to hold one: http://mashable.com/2009/02/25/tweetup/

They're really big with PR and Marketing people, as well as campus recruitment and other companies that target Gen Y.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-30-2010 at 12:03 PM   #34
stevedolson
NOT FUNNY IN THE LEAST

Haha I might have one now, because it is social Media day.

Reading Optional
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great announcement to make. Since I started my thread a couple weeks back. And starting from 60 followers.

I have now up to 115 Followers and getting noticed by a lot more people. So my social experiment is working!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again here is the experiment. If you follow me on Twitter, I will follow you back, and if you post your twitter name on here as well. You will get other Mac students to follow you and make some friends and network!

@stevedolson Follow me! I will 'return the favour'
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:06 PM   #35
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I still only got 2... lol.

http://twitter.com/blackdragon1299
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:12 PM   #36
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post

now you have three

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:12 PM   #37
stevedolson
NOT FUNNY IN THE LEAST

@blackdragon

The best way is to basically look up trends that are interesting to you on search.twitter.com

See who is experts in those fields, strike up a conversation using @mentions and follow people.

If they have under 1000 followers they will probably follow you back and reply to your messages!

Best way to get followers is to follow people, who need followers haha
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:54 PM   #38
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

If anyone is in need of a steadyish streams of interenet lulz/digg/reddit links, political articles from various news sources & Updates on Post Secondary Education follow me @Huzaifa47

Oh and on a side note since I'm an SRA member and Commissioner apparently I'm supposed to tweet alot :/ Not naturally a big fan of twitter nor do I necessarily like its 140 character limits but it does easily allow me to follow other student leaders in Canada and read up on interesting news articles and links etc. More often then not alot of news sources post to twitter even before they update their websites!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-30-2010 at 12:59 PM   #39
stevedolson
NOT FUNNY IN THE LEAST

I find those a lot tougher to get heard. I am on it but I feel like you need a following in other mediums before being successful in those sites. Or just have a picture of you falling down. But if you need someone to digg your work. I can help you out there.
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:52 PM   #40
blackdragon
Elite Member

haha cool, gotta go creep twitter soon
Old 07-08-2010 at 04:43 PM   #41
stevedolson
NOT FUNNY IN THE LEAST

You guys should add
@XtremeTire

The business I work for!

Become a Fan please http://bit.ly/9GOOAd
Old 07-08-2010 at 05:33 PM   #42
blackdragon
Elite Member

Add @eceplayground as well!
Old 07-09-2010 at 11:07 PM   #43
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

You need to tweet to get followed. I purposefully avoid following people who aren't active.

Old 07-10-2010 at 12:07 AM   #44
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You need to tweet to get followed. I purposefully avoid following people who aren't active.
that account isnt used anymore.

new account it @eceplayground
Old 07-10-2010 at 07:59 AM   #45
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
that account isnt used anymore.

new account it @eceplayground
Then delete it! I see you tweeted from the eceplayground account yesterday. So, yay.

Do a search using keywords for things you're interested in and you'll find people/groups. I've done that, and it works well.