MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Econ 1b03 Assignment # Of Attempts RememberTwce First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-11-2010 03:17 PM
bunk assignment leemeiying Moulton Hall Forum 22 08-26-2010 09:19 PM
Linguistics 1AA3 Assignment #2 luv.ng.u Academics 10 07-17-2010 10:18 PM

Room assignment

Old 07-06-2008 at 12:25 PM   #16
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Medical reasons vary - I knew someone who got a single room because he was a chronic snorer. Doesn't sound too "medical" on the surface, but when you have to live with someone else, it's an essential consideration. The problem is that now it'd likely be too late to say "I have so-and-so medical condition" because all the rooms have been assigned, and they're not going to bump someone out to accomodate you - you would have had to proactively notify them before the assignments were made.

I'm not going to lie, living in a triple can be a challenge at times. You simply cannot be a selfish person if you hope to foster a good social environment, because you have to discuss space issues with your roomates, and compromise on things like guests, sleep schedules, etc. You would have to do this even if you were in a double, but it just adds an extra layer of complexity with an extra person. Having said that, I've known far more triples whose roommates became best friends than those where everyone hated each other - that's actually quite rare, in my experience.

Your CA (Community Advisor) is there to help you mediate any conflicts with your roommates - if you are having a problem with them, you should discuss it with your CA as soon as possible, and they can offer suggestions on how to rectify the situation. If it gets very, very bad (and I mean extreme), then they'll consider a room switch - but since they have to place you somewhere without uprooting a current resident, it can be in any building they have space. It rarely gets to that point, though, since there's an escalating series of steps that the Residence Life Staff goes through to try and resolve conflicts first.

I wouldn't be second-guessing moving into residence - the experience for the vast majority of students is extremely positive, and virtually everyone who's done it considers it an essential part of the university experience. If things get rocky, then there are people whose job it is to help try and smooth things over, so don't fret about it just yet.

As for leaving residence, refunds are a little complicated - basically, you'll only get a refund if they can find someone to take the space you're vacating, and then it'll be pro-rated to reflect the amount of time you lived there. Here's the relevant paragraph from the Residence Agreement/Contract:

Quote:
23. Students who withdraw from residence for any reason whatsoever during the academic year are required to give immediate written notice to Housing and Conference Services. To withdraw from residence, students must check out at their Service Centre, and return their residence keys/access card. Failure to do so will result in the student being charged as outlined in section 17. The date of withdrawal will be recorded as the date the residence keys/access card are returned. The student is financially responsible for his/her full year’s fee and is placed on a refund waiting list in order of date of withdrawal. When a new student is admitted to residence, a refund is processed for the first student on the waiting list. Eligible refunds of residence fees are calculated on a pro-rated daily basis, and are credited to the student’s university account, less a $300 administration fee. If the student has no outstanding university accounts, the residence refund will be issued to the student. A student who is unable to continue to live in residence due to exceptional circumstances beyond his/her control may submit a written appeal with supporting documents to Residence Admissions for a pro-rated refund of his/her fees. This student remains responsible for the administrative fee.
Hope that helped!

Lara101 says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 07-06-2008 at 09:33 PM   #17
tee33

Liked: 0 Times

i got a single too!!!! so angry i dont want it.