MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetable Review LazyNinja First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-14-2010 08:02 AM
Review my timetable? CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-13-2010 12:24 PM
Timetable review? Rich0591 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 08-10-2010 07:20 PM
can you review my timetable? please bubblegum3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-29-2010 10:18 AM
Review My Timetable Please :D MohitB First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-07-2008 10:41 PM

Rough timetable - Review??

Old 06-10-2010 at 04:16 PM   #1
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Rough timetable - Review??
Hi,
I have a very rough time-table made up (some courses haven't even been put in yet) but all i'm looking for is just to make sure that my workload for Term 1 isn't too bad. I'm going into Engineering 1 so is that even possible? lol. Hopefully the schedule for term 1 isn't too bad, but I'm not sure, and then term 2 has some rough course placements.

Any Feedback?

Oh and another thing, does SOLAR only automatically assign Tutorial and Lab sections? Because in the master timetable for example, Chem 1E03 it says "Upon enrolling in this course, students will be assigned (Core) (Lab) component(s)."
Attached Files
File Type: doc timetable-macinsiders.doc (96.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:23 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yeah, solar automatically makes up a schedule for you. But you can adjust it, I think sometime in august.
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:24 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPat View Post
Hi,
I have a very rough time-table made up (some courses haven't even been put in yet) but all i'm looking for is just to make sure that my workload for Term 1 isn't too bad. I'm going into Engineering 1 so is that even possible? lol. Hopefully the schedule for term 1 isn't too bad, but I'm not sure, and then term 2 has some rough course placements.

Any Feedback?

Oh and another thing, does SOLAR only automatically assign Tutorial and Lab sections? Because in the master timetable for example, Chem 1E03 it says "Upon enrolling in this course, students will be assigned (Core) (Lab) component(s)."
You should try to eliminate 1 hour gaps, they REALLY suck. Not only do you have to occupy yourself for 1 hour but it makes your day seem longer.

You won't be able to choose your sections the first time you pick your courses. After everyone has picked their courses, SOLAR closes and the Registrar does sectioning. They section everyone in order to minimize conflicts. You get your timetable and a few days later SOLAR reopens and you can switch your sections around if there is space.
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:25 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Why not move 1P03 to wednesday? Would be better seeing as how you have class till 9PM on monday

GCSM says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:30 PM   #5
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

It wouldn't really make a diffrence If I were to move it to wed since its at the same time. Or are you just thinking that class till 9 on monday sucks?
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:31 PM   #6
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You should try to eliminate 1 hour gaps, they REALLY suck. Not only do you have to occupy yourself for 1 hour but it makes your day seem longer.

You won't be able to choose your sections the first time you pick your courses. After everyone has picked their courses, SOLAR closes and the Registrar does sectioning. They section everyone in order to minimize conflicts. You get your timetable and a few days later SOLAR reopens and you can switch your sections around if there is space.
So by sections you mean that I can't even choose Core courses, but I can later?
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:32 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
It wouldn't really make a diffrence If I were to move it to wed since its at the same time. Or are you just thinking that class till 9 on monday sucks?
I hate all evening classes. But I agree, I'd rather have it on wednesday. The break big break leading up will be nice. You can relax or whatever. 2:30 to 9 is just killer. Evening classes on their own really suck, but just having 6.5 hours of class in a row is not cool.

GCSM says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:33 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
So by sections you mean that I can't even choose Core courses, but I can later?
Yep, there MAY be some courses where you can pick your core, lab and/or tutorial. But generally not in first year. I had 1-2 last year.
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:34 PM   #9
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Yeah I see what you mean now, I didn't really think about the amount of classes beforehand
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:35 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You should try to eliminate 1 hour gaps, they REALLY suck. Not only do you have to occupy yourself for 1 hour but it makes your day seem longer....
1 hours gaps are good for fooding and hanging out or catching up on reading or finalizing notes.
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:39 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
1 hours gaps are good for fooding and hanging out or catching up on reading or finalizing notes.
Yeah, those are a couple things. But it's important to remember that it takes time to walk form class to a place where you can sit down and back to class. In first year I found that my 1 hour break was actually like 30-40 minutes. You can do some stuff during that time like eat and whatnot but it's very limited. I would rather no have an hour break (if possible) and end an hour earlier.
Old 06-10-2010 at 04:51 PM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
1hr breaks are never good, trust me. Their just boring and a waste of time. Better to have a later start in the day, and go for a good 4hrs or so
Old 06-10-2010 at 09:29 PM   #13
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Well here is my finished time table, I haven't bothered to fill in any courses since SOLAR will do that anyway, so I'm hoping that the big gaps in between courses can be filled with labs etc. But if anyone has any suggestions...
Attached Files
File Type: xls engfirstyeartimetable.xls (31.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-10-2010 at 09:52 PM   #14
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Fill the gap between your evening class (Eng something) and Chem 1E03 with cores, labs and things if you can. You might be able to go home earlier/take a day off.
Old 06-11-2010 at 06:42 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

When SOLAR re-opens and you can pick sections on your own, I suggest (as others mentioned) to limit your 1-hour breaks as much as possible. They're way too short to do anything besides get something to eat/drink. By the time you get out of class and without the time it'll take to get to your next class, you'll barely have ~30 mins to do anything. You may still end up with a few, but I suggest you limit them as much as you can.