MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal wedding.. guest_295 General Discussion 25 04-14-2011 11:16 AM
Doc Royal macoutsider Drink Mixes 0 06-22-2008 02:55 AM
royal botanical garden & canadian warplane heritage museum ayinaim General Discussion 8 12-17-2007 02:34 AM

Royal wedding !!!

Old 04-29-2011 at 02:42 PM   #31
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I didn;t think they looked nervous at all! I think they handled it quite well. And, yeah, apparently she was sent to St. Andrew's by her parents specifically to meet William and date him.
They handled it magnificently, but they were definitely jittery! I can't list out all the things which made me think so, but it was obvious they were relieved when the ceremony was more than half-way done.

It was such fun to watch...all royal pomp and flair...LOL.
Old 04-29-2011 at 03:44 PM   #32
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAll_EndAll View Post
Who the hell is American here?

As Canada is a commonwealth realm, at least give a small shit
I wasn't referring to anyone here just to all the Americans hyped up about this wedding.

If Canada was to be loyal to the royal crown, we should be loyal to the true heir of the throne.
Why did Victoria the Queen married Albert a descendant of a German Dynasty. And because of that, technically, they named the royal house a German name until 1910s where the King changed it to house of Windsor. Victoria was English, but her husband was German and so was the lineage due to y-chromosone dna lineage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Clearly you guys have no idea how much money the royal family brings in for the country in terms of foreign tourism.
Clearly, you have no idea how much brits taxmoney goes to royalty.
Old 04-29-2011 at 03:59 PM   #33
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post

The BBC reports that the annual cost of the royals to the British public is around £41.5 M. Since the pop. of Britain is around 62 M, that comes out to be less than one pound per person.
Unnecessary? Maybe. Expensive? Not really.
Old 04-29-2011 at 04:01 PM   #34
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

I think it's a tradition more than anything.
You can't exactly get rid of them in today's society, and they don't hold any real power.
Old 04-29-2011 at 04:36 PM   #35
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

I wonder if their divorce is going to be as extravagant.

Revolution1, siefer1322 like this.
Old 04-29-2011 at 04:40 PM   #36
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
I think it's a tradition more than anything.
You can't exactly get rid of them in today's society, and they don't hold any real power.
Queen is Elizabeth is still in power of the church of England. And, yes, she definitely has power over England joined with the Prime Minister.
Old 04-29-2011 at 05:08 PM   #37
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldBeStudying View Post
I wonder if their divorce is going to be as extravagant.
Oh, come ON. They just got married!

At least let them live a few years of it out before begining the speculations....
Old 04-29-2011 at 05:16 PM   #38
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Hugely, significantly less than what they bring in for tourism. As for this wedding, it was paid privately by them and has resulted in a huge increase in numbers of foreign tourists. Your point?

Last edited by Amaryll : 04-29-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2011 at 05:20 PM   #39
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
The BBC reports that the annual cost of the royals to the British public is around £41.5 M. Since the pop. of Britain is around 62 M, that comes out to be less than one pound per person.
Unnecessary? Maybe. Expensive? Not really.
Umm, that's not how taxes work.... You don't take the amount of money and divided by the amount of people....

Because, NOT everyone pays taxes. And, not everyone (disabled, married...) pays the same amount. There is income tax, corporation taxes and so on.

It is ridiculous for 2 billion people (as reported by almost every news channel) watched this crap for 1 to 6 hours. Brings people together ? Yes but temporarily. Helps tourism ? Sure.

But if 2 billion people watched videos about aids, cancer, war-torn countries, WAR, listened to politics, watched parliament debates of their countries, or just the damn news about events that mattered for ONE hour. Than most problems would have been fixed.

Seriously, if aliens came and asked me to pinpoint on a map all the populated cities (even if they can find them without my help) so they can obliterate them, I will gladly help.

Last edited by Icecream : 04-29-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Old 04-29-2011 at 05:22 PM   #40
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Umm, that's not how taxes work.... You don't take the amount of money and divided by the amount of people....

Because, NOT everyone pays taxes. And, not everyone (disabled, married...) pays the same amount. There is income tax, corporation taxes and so on.
Not that this is particularly significant, but it's about £1.33 per taxpayer.
Old 04-29-2011 at 05:38 PM   #41
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
The BBC reports that the annual cost of the royals to the British public is around £41.5 M...
But that's the British contribution to it. What about Commonwealth nations? Don't they also have to pitch in some cash as well?
Old 04-29-2011 at 05:43 PM   #42
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:

It is ridiculous for 2 billion people (as reported by almost every news channel) watched this crap for 1 to 6 hours. Brings people together ? Yes but temporarily. Helps tourism ? Sure.
That number sounds a little high...but then again people are dumb dumb dumb.

siefer1322 likes this.
Old 04-29-2011 at 07:42 PM   #43
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

My own opinion of "commoners" is that they're not uber-rich millionaires. That kind of defeats the purpose of being "common", doesn't it? The fact that they are judging kate by her bloodline and not by her economic status disqualifies this as a "Fairytale prince & pauper romance", imo. but then again, I have pretty far-fetched and unmatchable expectations lolol.

Last edited by anon491 : 04-29-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2011 at 08:39 PM   #44
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Oh, come ON. They just got married!

At least let them live a few years of it out before begining the speculations....

He has a point. Didn't all eight or so marriages between princes and their brides before Will+Kate end in divorce?

Whatever.

He needs a toupée.
Old 04-29-2011 at 09:09 PM   #45
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
He has a point. Didn't all eight or so marriages between princes and their brides before Will+Kate end in divorce?
Never said he wasn't right, just hope he is wrong. Which eight or so marriages, btw? Just out of curiousity? Queen Liz II is still going strong...but that's about all I can remember.

EDIT: Oh, those eight or so marriages (Just saw). Imagining Charles and Diana taking the same vows as William and Kate is so ironic.

Last edited by Faer : 04-30-2011 at 12:10 AM.